PDA

View Full Version : Old School C&C Warlock Class

LibraryOgre
2016-10-26, 01:43 PM
Someone on another message board wanted to import a Warlock into Castles and Crusades, so I whipped up a version:

Warlock (Charisma)
Alignment: Any
HD: d6
Weapons: Broadsword, bows, club, dagger, dart, hand axe, hammers, javelin, longsword, rapier, scimitar, short sword, sling, spear, staff
Armor: Leather armor, leather coat, and padded
Abilities: Eldritch Blast, Invocations

Eldritch Blast: At 1st level, a Warlock receives the ability to unleash an eldritch blast, a bolt of energy with a range of 35', that does 1d4 damage. This requires a touch attack or ranged touch attack, with a bonus from Dexterity. At levels 2, 4, and 7, the blast improves in damage (to 1d6, 1d8, and 1d10, respectively). At levels 3, 6, and 10, the blast improves in range (to 40', 50', and 60', respectively). At level 6, a secondary bolt may be fired at a target within range; this secondary bolt does 1d4 damage until level 9, when it is enhanced to 1d6 damage.
The Eldritch Blast normally does Force damage. If the Warlock chooses at 1st level for it to do Fire, Cold, Lightning or Acid damage, it does +1 damage, and an additional +1 each time the die size improves, but uses that sort of damage permanently. The Eldritch Blast may be enhanced by spells, invocations, and abilities which improve weapons, and is subject to Spell Resistance. It has a Casting Time of 1, but cannot be interrupted like a normal spell.

Invocations: At 1st level, a Warlock learns a single invocation. Invocations are equivalent to spells, but may either be cast repeatedly, or function indefinitely. Every three levels thereafter (at 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, etc.), the warlock gains another invocation. At 1st level, the invocation chosen may be a 1st level spell from any spell list. At 7th level, the invocation may be a Cantrip, 1st level, or 2nd level spell from any spell list. At 13th level, 3rd level spells may be chosen. Once chosen, Invocations cannot be changed, unless the CK agrees that an invocation is being "upgraded", and a lesser invocation is put in the place of the upgraded one (so, if Bless were learned at 4th level, at 13th level that might be upgraded to Prayer, and Bless would be replaced with another 1st level spell as an invocation). If an invocation is not constantly in effect, it requires the standard casting time to enact.
Warlocks likewise know a number of Lesser Invocations; these are Cantrips from any spell list, equal to their Charisma Modifier. They are otherwise subject to the same rules as Invocations.

AuraTwilight
2016-10-26, 06:08 PM
Oh cool, At-Will Cure Light Wounds.

I love this, but this should either be restricted from taking certain spells as Invocations, or it needs its own spell list.

LibraryOgre
2016-10-26, 06:30 PM
Oh cool, At-Will Cure Light Wounds.

I love this, but this should either be restricted from taking certain spells as Invocations, or it needs its own spell list.

Nah. At-will Cure Light Wounds means it can, at 1st level, do 2 things: throw a magic dagger, and Cure Wounds.

It certainly changes the calculus a bit, but I don't see a need to restrict it. Just put more pressure.

AuraTwilight
2016-10-26, 07:41 PM
And what about outside combat?

Also, what's the XP track? As Wizard, or what?

LibraryOgre
2016-10-27, 01:18 PM
I'd go with as wizard, yeah. And outside combat healing is great for them, of course, but, again, they're very much one-trick ponies.