PDA

View Full Version : Grapple Build: The Angry Ape

MintyNinja
2016-10-26, 06:25 PM
Hi Playground,

I haven't looked for this build anywhere and as far as I know it's largely just from my head over the last half hour but here's what I got.

Standard Array: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Variant Human: Athletics, +1 Wis, +1 Con, Tavern Brawler (+1 Str)

1. Barbarian 1.
2. Barbarian 2.
3. Barbarian 3. Totem Warrior: Wolf
4. Monk 1.
5. Monk 2.
6. Monk 3. Way of the Open Palm
And so on...

20. Monk 17.

Pump ASI's into Str and Con and you have someone that ought to take down and pin most single targets most of the time.

The real reason I'm posting this is for those prospective GMs out there: Would you allow the use of Ki points while Raging? I don't see them as a Spell myself and would almost say they come from the same source as a Rage, but that's just me.

PeteNutButter
2016-10-26, 07:56 PM
It's fine and ki should totally work while grappling, but I don't see what monk is really giving the build.

In previous editions monks were excellent grapplers. Now your better off with barbarian and a level of rogue for expertise in athletics, maybe fighter or bard.

Monks are no better at grappling than anyone else.

Davemeddlehed
2016-10-26, 08:12 PM
The issue I have here is that an AC of 15 is going to leave you wanting. That's going to be one easily hittable Barb/Monk.

PeteNutButter
2016-10-26, 10:23 PM
The issue I have here is that an AC of 15 is going to leave you wanting. That's going to be one easily hittable Barb/Monk.

Yeah, I'd definately just wear armor at that point, and forgo some monk bonuses.

MintyNinja
2016-10-27, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing what you mean. Thanks for the input.

Specter
2016-10-27, 03:05 PM
This could work, but take a rogue level whenever you can. If your main thing is graplling, then you don't want expertise, you need it. Bonus points if you manage to stun an enemy while they're grappled, then it's a free-for-all murderfest.

RickAllison
2016-10-27, 03:12 PM
When I read the title, I thought for sure it would be a Druid build... Not that being an Ape form would be good (only boon would be similar body and a 16 Str if that was lower. Other forms would have been better (IIRC, the formula for the escape DC in the MM was based on Athletics, not base Strength, just like how they were resisted; a Rogue 1/Druid would thus have crazy DCs on those checks).

TrinculoLives
2016-10-27, 04:02 PM
It's fine and ki should totally work while grappling, but I don't see what monk is really giving the build.

In previous editions monks were excellent grapplers. Now your better off with barbarian and a level of rogue for expertise in athletics, maybe fighter or bard.

Monks are no better at grappling than anyone else.

Mm.. Well.. except for the grappling synergies granted by the Monk class features. Things like Stunning Strike, Martial Arts, increased movement speed, the ability to throw targets 15 feet; all of these things greatly aid in accomplishing stuff through grappling.

(I do know that a stunned target does not automatically fail a grappling contest, but disadvantage on their check is a reasonable enough ruling for a DM to make.)