PDA

View Full Version : LMoP unclear room description

BeefGood
2016-10-26, 08:19 PM
In LMoP, in the Black Spider's room, the boxed text for DM to read to players states that he has two creature companions, while the regular text states that he has four creature companions (and a possible visiting companion). Seems inconsistent to me. Is the boxed text correct, or the regular text, or are both sets of creatures in the room?
This is on page 49.
Thanks for your opinions.

Sicarius Victis
2016-10-26, 09:57 PM
Could be that two companions (and the possible visiting one) aren't clearly noticable to the PCs when they enter the room?

I wouldn't know, I never really bothered with that adventure.

Sjappo
2016-10-27, 06:28 AM
In LMoP, in the Black Spider's room, the boxed text for DM to read to players states that he has two creature companions, while the regular text states that he has four creature companions (and a possible visiting companion). Seems inconsistent to me. Is the boxed text correct, or the regular text, or are both sets of creatures in the room?
This is on page 49.
Thanks for your opinions.
I played it like this. There are actually 7 (or 8) creatures in that room. The Black Spider with his two companions (and possibly the visiting creature) are immediately apparent. The other 4 are hidden and thus not apparent. You could roll for the hiding check beforehand and check against passive perception of the PC's. Or you could forego this check seeing as they are hidden in darkness and most probably have full cover. The darkness will preclude most PC's from being able to spot them and the cover could be counted as a source for advantage if you'd like. If the PC's spot one or more of the hidden creatures you change your description accordingly.

BeefGood
2016-10-28, 07:55 PM
That's a good suggestion; thank you.