PDA

View Full Version : Home brew point buy system for 3.5

Zakier
2016-10-26, 09:31 PM
An option I'm considering for introducing my son to the game is a generic class that allows someone to play however they want without worrying about class constraints. Like a point build system for a single character. Do you have ano easy to use system. Doesn't need to cover feats.

GilesTheCleric
2016-10-26, 11:03 PM
Druid seems pretty good. Give it Power Attack, Precise Shot, and TWF for free, and maybe use the 5e weapon finesse rules. Drop the no-metal and N alignment reqs. Stats could be straight 14s. Depending on his age, you might pre-pick a spell list with varied CC, blasting, healing, and utility, as well as a few combat forms (wolf, bear, eagle, and shark, or something). I think that should allow him to play nearly any archetype, probably starting from level 5 (for wild shape).

If you wanted him to actually build his own class, then I see two easy routes (unless someone digs up a brew). 1: use the above druid, but charge one point for each of the features I listed (1 pt per spell, WS form, feat, simple/martial/exotic weapon prof, HD increase, poor/good saves, skills, etc). At level five, that full druid costs ~39 points. Sure, the costs aren't balanced, but he doesn't yet know the game or its balance. (11 spells, 4 WS, 3 feats, 1 animal companion, 2 HD, 13 skills, 1 skill points, 0 weps, 1 armour, 1 BAB, 2 saves).

2: let him take whatever class levels he wants at each level, but he can grab the class features from any level equal to or below his new level. Eg. at level 5 he could be fighter 2/ monk 2/ druid 1, and have the fighters level 1+2 feats, the monk's level 1 flurry/feat/UAS and level 3 still mind, and the druid's level 5 wild shape. Basically Illithid Savant (SS 77), but better.

Have you considered instead using a different game system like GURPS or whitewolf, which is what you describe, or 5e, which is probably faster to use in terms of rolling up a new character, multiclassing, and learning mechanics? You already know 3.5 is a pretty intense, rules-heavy edition, that definitely allows for immense depth in mechanical gameplay and char gen, but can introduce unintuitive or complex game interactions even when doing something that seems simple, like sundering a weapon, moving vertically, making moral choices, swimming, holding your action, or multiplying.

Zakier
2016-10-27, 06:53 PM
I've not considered any other game system because I don't know anything about any of them. I do have all the books for 3.5 though. The only other system I've played was rifts and we all know that one is beyond complicated. Even before the alterations made later in its books.

flappeercraft
2016-10-27, 07:55 PM
I would recommend gestalt as a basis but altered a bit for balancing

GnomishPride
2016-10-27, 09:22 PM
The Generic Classes from UA are fairly customizable if I recall correctly.