PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dragon Shaman (Cleric Archetype) [Pathfinder] (PEACH)

gooddragon1
2016-10-26, 11:10 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Lichtenstein
2016-10-27, 08:46 AM
I like it! I'm not sure why you picked a Cleric instead of an Oracle as the base, since you change so much about it and it's a spontaneous caster, but whatever. Point by point:

Cleric Casting -> Oracle Casting, Neutral

2 Domains -> 1 Domain, -9 spells, -2 abilities. Negative

Channel Energy -> Touch of Vitality, a big downgrade, becomes Lay on Hands at best with expensive status curing abilities. This ability does however much more complement the spontaneous caster with limited spell selection, with those status curing abilities not needing to be taken as spells. Good feel for a shaman. Neutral overall - Consider perhaps directly using Paladin Lay on Hands and Mercies

Cleric Aura -> Draconic Aura: Cleric aura isn't even an ability, so this is a positive. Abilities mature just before 10th level; when the player stops getting these their breath weapon picks up the slack with extra damage

Spontaneous Cure -> Breath Weapon
I can't find an action listed for this ability. If this is a standard action to use, I'm pretty sure it's useless. 1d6/spell level is worse than any spell will be, and no one will ever use their breath weapon. In that case it would be better to give the player a set of 9 spells that go with their totem. If this is a free action or swift action or move action, so it becomes extra damage like sneak attack, then that's pretty cool and makes a pretty even replacement for being able to convert spells into cures.

gooddragon1
2016-10-27, 12:21 PM
I like it! I'm not sure why you picked a Cleric instead of an Oracle as the base, since you change so much about it and it's a spontaneous caster, but whatever. Point by point:

Cleric Casting -> Oracle Casting, Neutral

2 Domains -> 1 Domain, -9 spells, -2 abilities. Negative

Channel Energy -> Touch of Vitality, a big downgrade, becomes Lay on Hands at best with expensive status curing abilities. This ability does however much more complement the spontaneous caster with limited spell selection, with those status curing abilities not needing to be taken as spells. Good feel for a shaman. Neutral overall - Consider perhaps directly using Paladin Lay on Hands and Mercies

Cleric Aura -> Draconic Aura: Cleric aura isn't even an ability, so this is a positive. Abilities mature just before 10th level; when the player stops getting these their breath weapon picks up the slack with extra damage

Spontaneous Cure -> Breath Weapon
I can't find an action listed for this ability. If this is a standard action to use, I'm pretty sure it's useless. 1d6/spell level is worse than any spell will be, and no one will ever use their breath weapon. In that case it would be better to give the player a set of 9 spells that go with their totem. If this is a free action or swift action or move action, so it becomes extra damage like sneak attack, then that's pretty cool and makes a pretty even replacement for being able to convert spells into cures.

Thanks for reviewing mine, I'll try to review one of yours, but as you can see from this class being based of the cleric vs the oracle (which I didn't know was a spontaneous caster) my knowledge of pathfinder is not complete.

What damage amount would make the breath weapon worthwhile? It is a standard action to use it though.

How about 1d6 at 1st level, 2nd level, and every 2 levels thereafter?
That puts it at 20d6 by level 20 if you use a 9th level slot.

Lichtenstein
2016-10-28, 08:54 AM
It's not that 1d6/2 levels is too low; it's a perfectly fine base for a move like the alchemist's bomb, and it's better than that in a lot of ways because it affects multiple targets. The problem is that before 10th level, spell levels aren't something that people want to spend on something like that. Perhaps a couple of alchemist bomb discoveries (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries) or something else to make it more than a low damage area effect spell. See fireball (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fireball) for reference

1d6 / spell level
+ 1d6 at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter, and also at 19th level
Question: can you use 0 level spell slots? Could be a neat baseline to breath half damage breath all day