PDA

View Full Version : Its SNOWING!

Traab
2016-10-27, 10:25 AM
Oh, dear GOD no! /Runs around screaming, flailing his arms wildly. Heh, seriously, I can count on one hand how often it has snowed in my lifetime before halloween. I wonder if its a sign of just how snowy this winter shall be? Or just a random one off that will be melted by this time tomorrow? I live in Ct btw, if anyone was curious. Its new england, so wacky weather kind of has to be expected. We have a saying, "Dont like the weather? Wait 5 minutes."

TechnOkami
2016-10-27, 11:27 AM
A (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMfB1REALp4), HEM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZCfydWF48c) hashtagwhitetext

Knaight
2016-10-27, 12:28 PM
Oh, dear GOD no! /Runs around screaming, flailing his arms wildly. Heh, seriously, I can count on one hand how often it has snowed in my lifetime before halloween. I wonder if its a sign of just how snowy this winter shall be? Or just a random one off that will be melted by this time tomorrow? I live in Ct btw, if anyone was curious. Its new england, so wacky weather kind of has to be expected. We have a saying, "Dont like the weather? Wait 5 minutes."

As does everyone else outside the tropics and central enough to still be in a temperate zone it seems.

Peelee
2016-10-27, 12:33 PM
What's snow?

Seriously, it's like, 80°F outside.

lylsyly
2016-10-27, 12:46 PM
I'm in South Florida. it's 81, feels like 84, and its raining a little.

Of course, I can sit on the beach in Jan and Feb with highs of 80-85 and it will be 35 the next.

Jealous yet :LOL:

Spanish_Paladin
2016-10-27, 12:58 PM
What's snow?

Seriously, it's like, 80°F outside.

Agreed... what is that snow thing you are talking about :smallannoyed:

Traab
2016-10-27, 01:25 PM
Well its done snowing, switched to rain. Yay? :smallbiggrin:

FinnLassie
2016-10-27, 02:02 PM
Been snowing in Finland as well, although now it's getting a tad warmer. Forecast's telling that it'll soon get back to coldsville up here after this short swoop of "warm".

It was kind of funny to walk around in Helsinki in the night when it was snowing.. but when it touched the ground it just disappeared. The city I live in had proper snowfall though and I am super sad that I missed it. ;_;

Lentrax
2016-10-27, 03:33 PM
I'm frankly surprised it hasn't snowed around here yet. I mean seriously, we're almost to November, and it hasn't even snowed the first light snow yet.

sktarq
2016-10-27, 03:51 PM
Well H2O is currently falling from the atmosphere for the first time in months here. Dries the moment it hits the ground but qualifies as weather in this neck of the woods.

Artemis97
2016-10-27, 08:24 PM
That blowing snow loop is great, but it needs a little something (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDfjXj5EGqI).

TechnOkami
2016-10-27, 08:35 PM
I hope you noticed the Vivaldi directly to its right.

Scarlet Knight
2016-10-27, 08:41 PM
I'm in South Florida. it's 81, feels like 84, and its raining a little.

Of course, I can sit on the beach in Jan and Feb with highs of 80-85 and it will be 35 the next.

Jealous yet :LOL:

I hope you blow out your flip-flop....

Blackhawk748
2016-10-27, 09:06 PM
New England sounds like Wisconsin. It rained all day yesterday and if it had been all of 10 degrees colder it would have been snow. We have a joke around here about making Halloween costumes that fit around snow suits.

Norrefve
2016-10-27, 10:52 PM
It snowed here in the Rocky Mountains about 2 weeks ago. I was really surprised that it stuck around for a whole day. Apart a bit of rain now and then, it's been dry since.

Also, having the fire, winter storm, and Vivaldi going all at the same time is incredibly soothing. Not sure why I've never thought to do that before.

Vinyadan
2016-10-28, 06:44 AM
Do you people know if there was a cartoon video with Vivaldi's Inverno? I seem to remember parts of it, but I can't locate it.

lylsyly
2016-10-28, 12:07 PM
It snowed here in the Rocky Mountains about 2 weeks ago. I was really surprised that it stuck around for a whole day. Apart a bit of rain now and then, it's been dry since.

Also, having the fire, winter storm, and Vivaldi going all at the same time is incredibly soothing. Not sure why I've never thought to do that before.

When I was stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado we could see snow on the top of Pikes Peak from the 1st of October through to the 1st of June.

Dry Heat and Dry Cold my *** the Sun would bake you in Summer (only 2 months, lol) and the Wind would slice right through you in Winter (October through March).

lylsyly
2016-10-28, 01:28 PM
may be be a cold year: https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/polar-vortex-shifting-away-from-north-america-climate (https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/polar-vortex-shifting-away-from-north-america-climate)

I REALLY hate the cold.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-28, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I've heard from various weather things that it's going to be extra cold and wet in the northern parts of the US.

And the south probably isn't going to get a winter again..just moved from North Texas, we had two seasons the past cycle, Hot, and Mildly Chilly. Which I suppose is better than Super Hot, and Ice land with a couple weeks of mild inbetween.

Spojaz
2016-10-28, 03:42 PM
When I was stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado we could see snow on the top of Pikes Peak from the 1st of October through to the 1st of June.

Dry Heat and Dry Cold my *** the Sun would bake you in Summer (only 2 months, lol) and the Wind would slice right through you in Winter (October through March).

I have lived in Colorado all my life, and I wouldn't trade the climate. An almost everpresent cool breeze with warm sun regardless of season makes it so I can always find somewhere tolerable outdoors, find shade and embrace the wind in the summer, shelter from the wind in a sunbeam for winter. Every week or two in the winter, we wake up to a foot of snow that is gone from everywhere the sun touches by sunset. The snow hardly ever has a chance to get dirty, and gravel hiking trails are hardly ever muddy.

It is nice to visit the coast where the sun is just warm, and doesn't have that annoying prickle I've always assumed was cell death, though.

IDrankWHAT
2016-10-28, 03:46 PM
I can only remember one HUGE snowstorm to slam Omaha (where I am incidentally) before Halloween was 19 years ago today actually! Thundersnow and a LOT of power outages. Cancelled Halloween even! Funny part is, it's 84 today and it will 80 on Halloween! THAT AIN'T NATURAL JACK!!! :smallfurious:

DataNinja
2016-10-28, 04:28 PM
Here in Victoria, there are only two seasons. Wet, and Tourist. :smalltongue:

We haven't had a snow that's stuck in years. "Canada", my sweet poutine it is. Go an hour north, it gets snow. Go an hour east, it gets snow. Go an hour south... well, you're in the Olympic Mountains. There's snow. Here? It's rain. :smallamused:

Dire Moose
2016-10-29, 10:25 AM
*laughs at you from warm, sunny, central-southern Arizona*

*stops laughing upon remembering summer temperatures here*

Peelee
2016-10-29, 11:21 AM
*laughs at you from warm, sunny, central-southern Arizona*

*stops laughing upon remembering summer temperatures here*

Oh man. I don't know how you can do it. It's not the heat, it's the lack of humidity. Felt like I was in an oven when I was in the American Southwest. Way too hard to breathe. You need some water in that air.

Knaight
2016-10-29, 11:48 AM
Oh man. I don't know how you can do it. It's not the heat, it's the lack of humidity. Felt like I was in an oven when I was in the American Southwest. Way too hard to breathe. You need some water in that air.

No kidding. I've been to Thailand, and I've been to Arizona - Arizona was worse. The whole idea that humid heat is worse just feels off to me, at least that often comes with enough moisture in the air that direct radiative heating is curtailed.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-29, 03:07 PM
I think it really depends on the ratios of hot/wet in heat, and also the individual, and their status/health.

Personally I tolerate dry heat much better than wet heat, even if whatever wind there is feels like it's blowing right out of an oven. I don't tend to get drenched in sweat in that kind of weather (assumption being that it's getting properly wicked away).

Wet heat will sap me more immediately however, sometimes within minutes. I become rapidly drenched in sweat, but the sweat doesn't seem to do anything to help me not overheat in this case.

Now what I really hate, is wet cold. I'm a thin person so it's hard to deal with cold as it is, but when it's wet, the cold tends to just stick to me, and causes me to have very deep seated pain in my muscles.

sktarq
2016-10-29, 10:33 PM
I'm from the hot mountains of California, where 90F was warm 100F was hot and 110 was time to go inside.
I also love fog. . .
But I loath warm humid places.
I hiked out of death valley with a 70lb pack (not recommended) but could barely manage a 1000ft hill a few days later in upstate NY . . .

And yes I've lost people out here to the heat. But wouldn't trade it for your hot humid combo. . . just damn well impossible to move.

I never want to feel I could swim up a hill again.

Maybe I'll end up in the Namib

Traab
2016-10-30, 05:57 PM
Last couple days Ive worn a tshirt and left my door open to allow a good breeze to go through the house.

Pendulous
2016-10-30, 07:20 PM
The high for the next two days is 88F. I'd rather have snow right now (but not ice). Really, it's about to be November. Why is it so hot?