PDA

View Full Version : OotA Leveling Plan, Second Half

mgshamster
2016-10-27, 11:53 AM
What general Leveling guidelines would you give for the second half of Out of the Abyss? Let's say from Descent into Darkness and on?

I haven't had much chance to read into the later chapters, and I'd like to plan out what levels my PCs may be for each section.

INDYSTAR188
2016-10-27, 12:06 PM
What general Leveling guidelines would you give for the second half of Out of the Abyss? Let's say from Descent into Darkness and on?

I haven't had much chance to read into the later chapters, and I'd like to plan out what levels my PCs may be for each section.

Thanks for the question, it will be useful for me too. We are in Gracklestugh, then going to Blingdenstone so the first half is almost over. I was under the impression that each chapter finished gave a level up (assuming you're using the milestone method), is that not the case?

mgshamster
2016-10-27, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the question, it will be useful for me too. We are in Gracklestugh, then going to Blingdenstone so the first half is almost over. I was under the impression that each chapter finished gave a level up (assuming you're using the milestone method), is that not the case?

It's a rough guideline. The only thing really set is that you should be about level 3 by the end of chapter 1, and level 7 by the time you get to Gauntlgrym. But I'm not sure about the second half.

My players skipped Gauntlgrym, and I feel they're going to be underpowered going into the Wormwrithings and later chapters.

I'm trying to read through the later chapters now, but it's slow going. Got a lot on my plate right now. I'm hoping others have made up their own plans or have read something I haven't.

INDYSTAR188
2016-10-27, 12:25 PM
It's a rough guideline. The only thing really set is that you should be about level 3 by the end of chapter 1, and level 7 by the time you get to Gauntlgrym. But I'm not sure about the second half.

My players skipped Gauntlgrym, and I feel they're going to be underpowered going into the Wormwrithings and later chapters.

I'm trying to read through the later chapters now, but it's slow going. Got a lot on my plate right now. I'm hoping others have made up their own plans or have read something I haven't.

I will give it some thought; there are 17 chapters in the module and 2 of them are "travel focused" so probably don't count for milestone purposes. I believe the intent is to reach level 15 by the end, so that would imply you need to level your PC's 7 or 8 times (depending on what level they are now of course). My intention is to level PCs after each chapter (if you subtract the two travel ones) which will leave them at level 14 or 15 at the end.

According to this excellent guide (http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2015/12/rage-of-demons-guide-to-out-of-abyss.html)(Power Score's writer does a really good job reviewing and writing DM guides for modules), your PC's should be at level 9 during chapter 10.

mgshamster
2016-10-27, 01:04 PM
I forgot about that! I actually have it.

INDYSTAR188
2016-10-27, 01:49 PM
I forgot about that! I actually have it.

As an aside are you still updating your campaign journal? I've found it helpful and entertaining and I like to read how other class/race combos performed (although the human factor makes that kind of comparison completely unreliable).

Falcon X
2016-10-27, 03:14 PM
Can you tell me about this? Why they skipped and how you got them back on track?

I'm a little worried that once I start my game back up, my players may do the same thing, whether it be getting sidetracked or just deciding not to leave the Underdark, and I'd like to be prepared.

[edit] I can probably get this from your campaign journal, can't I...

mgshamster
2016-10-27, 03:31 PM
As an aside are you still updating your campaign journal? I've found it helpful and entertaining and I like to read how other class/race combos performed (although the human factor makes that kind of comparison completely unreliable).

Yes I am! I just made the most recent update last night. :)

Can you tell me about this? Why they skipped and how you got them back on track?

I'm a little worried that once I start my game back up, my players may do the same thing, whether it be getting sidetracked or just deciding not to leave the Underdark, and I'd like to be prepared.

[edit] I can probably get this from your campaign journal, can't I...

Lol. You could, but it would be easier to tell you here. The book assumes that the PCs want to escape the underdark (a fair assumption), and then they get summoned by the dwarf king and assigned a mission to go back down.

By the time they were ready to go to the surface (finishing chapter 6), my players had already decided for themselves that they needed to stop the demonic incursion. And they had a plan to do it. Their plan was to pit zuggtmoy and juiblex up against each other. They also knew about Gravenhallow (I had woven it into the background of one of the PCs), and decided they wanted to go there and find out more about how to defeat the demons before going to the surface.

They assumed going to the surface would be a recruitment mission, where they had to convince armies and races above to help out below. Once in Gravenhallow, they met Vizeran who had nearly an identical plan as them - just a bit more encompassing (it would pit together all the demon Lords). So instead of going to the surface after the library to recruit armies and surface races to help them, they left the library to meet up with Vizeran.

So now my PCs are about to enter chapter 13 - Wormwrithings - as level 9 PCs. They're currently 3 levels behind where the story says they should be. And I'm a little worried.

Since they're with Vizeran right now, I'm considering having him offer to make them more powerful (and give them two free levels) if they sell their soul make a deal with the elemental elder evil. That would be rather amusing. Ooo. I can make those two classes be warlock. How cool would that be?

(In case you didn't know, Vizeran is the same guy from Elemental Evil - Princes of the Apocolypse; he made the swords in the background section of chapter 1.)