PDA

View Full Version : The Maw of Malmortius IC

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 01:56 PM
It's another peaceful day on Malmortius Island. Hobgoblins play catch with their sons, run weapon drills with their daughters, and bask in the heat of the active volcano that sits above their village. Occasionally, a proud roar can be heard from Timaeous, a mighty storm dragon and close friend of Chief Nashor.

The area surrounding the village has warm loose soil that produces many delicious fruits, and the waters beyond are good for fishing. Indeed, life could not have been better for our young hero.

But that all changed when he heard a sound he had never heard before. A loud crack, like the largest tree being snapped in half, but with a fiery twinge to it. What could have made that sound? It was coming from inside the volcano.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 08:21 PM
Arak's shot goes wide, the arrow missing the deer he'd been tracking and burying itself into a tree. Normally he'd be berating himself for missing the shot, but right now he's more concerned about that loud crack. What could have made the noise? Had something happened with the volcano?

He reaches out to the young drake he'd bonded with through their mental link. "Soulbiter, did you hear that?"
"Yes. It's hard to sleep with that racket."
"I can imagine... let's take a look, if it's something major we'll need to let Chief Nashor know right away."

He heads to collect the young drake from their small shack by the village and sets off toward the volcano.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 08:23 PM
Arak heads towards the volcano, climbing up the ragged steppes to enter the large caverns that promise darkness and despair. As he walks around, looking for the source of the noise, he hears it again. This time, right after it, he hears a drake roaring in pain. He needs to hurry. There's something wrong here.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 08:25 PM
Arak and Soulbiter set off at a run upon hearing the drake's pained roars. The hobgoblin draws his bow as they move, readying himself for a fight.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 08:30 PM
They enter a vast clearing inside the cavern and spy a young drake cowering and hissing at...what is that?

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/img/anime-reviews/dean-loves-anime/img06.jpg

"Just try it! I don't care how armored your scales are, this bullets will pierce through full-plate at this range," the strange creature speaks. It's a language that Arak doesn't recognize in the slightest, but it sounds too complex to be a growl or a roar. She must be like him...she must be some kind of sentient creature.

"Sully! Kross! Am I the only competent person on this team? We need to hurry up and find the Scepter of Gorum already!" the creature calls over her shoulder.

"Ma'am!" a voice calls back. Arak frowns. He can't understand what that one is saying either, but it sounds deeper. Maybe that creature is male? Looking at this creature's figure, she is undoubtedly a female. She raises her hand and points the strange gray object she's holding towards the drake.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 08:36 PM
Arak growls and conjures a ball of chilling energy. (Draconic) "Get away from him!" He launches the spell at the female.

Casting snowball
Hit/Confirm vs touch: [roll0]/[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]/[roll3] cold
If the spell hits, she needs to make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be staggered for 1 round

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 08:38 PM
The attack strikes the woman, who blinks and glances behind her. That's all the time the drake needs, and it quickly rushes away on the wall. The drake skitters up towards the peak of the volcano, out of sight.

The woman frowns. "Oh sh*t...this just got a lot more complicated," she mutters to herself.

Placing one hand on her hips, the woman hesitates, then asks, "(Draconic) I don't suppose you're new around here?"

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 08:50 PM
Arak visibly jumps when the woman starts speaking in Draconic. After a moment he grits his teeth and nocks an arrow. (Draconic) "I am Arak Fang-Breaker, the greatest hunter on this island. Who are you, and why are you assaulting the drakes of this island?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 08:53 PM
From the other side of the room, two males of the same race as this creature enter. They stop dead when they see Arak.

"Professor, what are you-"

"It's okay," she says in the language Arak doesn't know. "But we're in a lot of trouble now...no way there's a group of people living on this island and they didn't find the Scepter already..."

She turns her attention back to Arak. "(Draconic) Name's Maggey. Maggey Mead. Why don't we just both calm down here? Look, here, I'm putting my gun away..." she lowers the weapon in her hand slowly towards her leg. "(Draconic) You can lower your bow as well..."

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 08:57 PM
Arak narrows his eyes. (Draconic) "Not until you tell me why you're here."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 09:01 PM
Maggey sighs. She slowly reaches her free hand toward her back pocket and produces a folded up piece of paper. The paper looks very old. She opens up it and shows it to him. "We're looking for this."

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/bleedmancomics/images/a/ac/Loki_s_scepter_vector_by_lizzytheviking-d5v2obc.png/revision/latest?cb=20140429093542

This appears to be...Chief Nashor's staff. But how do these outsiders know about it?

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 09:04 PM
Arak looks at the paper. He's not sure what's more concerning... that they know of Chief Nashor's staff, or that they are actively seeking it.

He slowly lowers his bow, but keeps the arrow nocked just in case. "What makes you think we have anything like that here?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 09:11 PM
Maggey nods. She can tell he's seen it before. "This is Malmortius Island, right? According to an ancient legend, Gorum Himself was defeated by Aroden here. It's said that when Gorum's staff fell from His hand as He staggered back from Aroden's blow, it crashed into the ground and evaporated an entire part of the mountain, forming this volcano." She points upwards to where the light from the sky is peeking in. "This would just be a normal mountain if it wasn't for Gorum's staff. Or so the legend goes, anyway."

Gorum is the hobgoblin spirit that gives Chief Nashor his power. A hobgoblin who fell hundreds of years ago, but was the founder of their tribe. Arak has never heard of 'Aroden' before.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 09:13 PM
So the legend of Gozreh is told across the sea as well... "That explains why you are on Malmortius Island, but not why you are here assaulting drakes."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 09:17 PM
Maggey sighs and crosses her arms. "Hey, he started it! Drakes can be very territorial, you know. I came into this room and he flew right at me, biting at my arms. So I shot him."

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 09:20 PM
"If you'd spoken to him he'd have likely allowed you to leave after that..." It doesn't occur to him that the combination of their long-standing influence on the island and their reverence of the drakes might be the only reason he and the hobgoblins can get away with such trespasses.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 09:24 PM
She sighs. "Alright, fine, I'm sorry. I won't shoot any more drakes on the island, okay? So can you please put the bow away already?"

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 09:28 PM
Arak slides the arrow back into his quiver.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 09:30 PM
Maggey relaxes. "Thank you. Now, you've seen the staff before, right?" she asks, taking the picture back from Arak.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 09:32 PM
"It looks familiar, yes." Perhaps he should let Chief Nashor know about this... though letting this outsider meet the chief isn't likely a good idea if he's holding the very same object she's looking for.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 09:36 PM
She scratches her cheek, seeing his expression. "Need us to wait here, right? That's fine. Everything we're interested in studying on this island is in the volcano anyway. You can keep the location of your village secret. I don't mind."

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 09:37 PM
Arak nods and turns to leave with Soulbiter. Convincing Chief Narosh to meet with these outsiders is likely the only way to guarantee the tribe's safety if they are this violent, but there are things to take into consideration for that...

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 09:44 PM
Arak returns to his village, where he finds Chief Nashor smoking a pipe and relaxing. The hobgoblin looks down at his loyal hunter. "Ah, it's you Arak. I saw you run to the volcano earlier. Did you discover the source of that dreadful noise?"

Nashor is tall, even for a hobgoblin. His limbs are long and lanky, instead of short and stout like others. He almost looks like one of those humanoids that Maggey had with her...no that couldn't be it. In one hand is his trademark pipe, and he's blowing smoke rings into the air easily. In the other hand is his staff, which he has held since Arak was born.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 09:50 PM
Arak kneels before the chief. "I did. There are newcomers to the island... I do not know what they are, but they came here seeking the staff of Gozreh. I was able to convince them to leave the drakes at the volcano be, but I doubt they will give up their pursuit of the staff so easily."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 09:51 PM
Chief Nashor raises an eyebrow and looks at the staff in his hand. "What's this? They seek the staff of our ancestors? Hmm....Arak, do you think these newcomers are dangerous?"

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 10:07 PM
"There are only three of them that I know of, but I fear that they would prove to be a challenge to face in battle. However, I think they they can be reasoned with."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 10:10 PM
Nashor shakes his head. "And how do you propose we reason with a group who wants our village treasure? We either give it to them, or we do not! No, you will take Soulbiter and you will hunt these intruders down. Put an arrow in them and be done with it."

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 10:14 PM
Arak nods. "As you wish, Chief Nashor." After being given leave, he heads out to return to the volcano. However, rather than going up the mountain, he attempts to find the trail that the newcomers had left behind. They have to have arrived on the island somehow, and finding out how they arrived might prevent further invasion.

Survival to track: [roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 10:20 PM
The volcano divides the island in two, and the mountains that make up its slope are impassable, even for a seasoned island-dweller like Arak. They must have come here from the other side of the volcano. He can only explore that by entering it and passing by where they are.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 10:24 PM
Arak creeps up the mountainside, attempting to keep silent and unseen. Soulbiter goes on ahead to scout out the area, being the more stealthy of the two. m

Arak Stealth: [roll0]
Soulbiter Stealth: [roll1]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 10:29 PM
Soulbiter heads into the cavern. He sees the three creatures from before. They appear to be discussing something while they examine the stones inlaid into the walls.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 10:48 PM
Arak creeps forward and levels his bow at one of the males, taking a shot out of the darkness of the cavern.

Hit/Confirm: [roll0]/[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]/[roll3]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 10:52 PM
The male goes down. Maggey's eyes widen as she turns to him. "Kross? Kross? Oh no...that arrow! Sully, get out of here! I'll handle this!"

She spins around, drawing her pistol and pointing it toward the cavern entrance. She fires a bullet, and it grows into a large flame that explodes near Arak.

[roll0] fire damage, Ref DC 17 for Half

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 10:59 PM
Arak ducks behind a bend in the wall and manages to avoid the worst of the blast, but he doesn't come out completely unscathed.

He steps back out and opens fire on the woman as Soulbiter creeps up to attack her from the shadows.

Soulbiter: Stealth [roll0]

Arak: Full attack with Rapid Shot
Attack 1:
Hit/confirm: [roll1]/[roll2]
Damage: [roll3]/[roll4]
Attack 2:
Hit/confirm: [roll5]/[roll6]
Damage: [roll7]/[roll8]
Attack 3:
Hit/confirm: [roll9]/[roll10]
Damage: [roll11]/[roll12]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 11:03 PM
His three arrows find their mark and lodge themselves into Maggie's side. She grits her teeth and hops backward. "(Draconic) Damn...making me go all out, huh? Sorry that I had to kill you then."

She fires her shot right at his chest. When he gets hit, his eyes are filled with strange powder.

Attack: [roll0]/[roll1]

If it hits, Arak has to make a DC 16 Will save or be blinded by glitterdust.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 11:13 PM
Arak howls and tries to rub the blindness from his eyes. "Soulbiter, now!"

The drake snarls and charges out of the darkness at Maggie.

Save against glitterdust: [roll0]

Soulbiter's attack (+2 from charging):
Hit/Confirm: [roll1]/[roll2]
Damage: [roll3]/[roll4]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 11:16 PM
Arak rubs the dust out of his eyes in time to see the drake crash into Maggie with no visible effect. The woman growls in annoyance and points her weapon between its eyes, pulling the trigger.

5' back. Attack (ranged touch) [roll0]/[roll1]

[roll4]/[roll5]
[roll6]/[roll7]

[roll8]/[roll9]
[roll10]/[roll11]

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 11:24 PM
Arak fires at the woman again, after which Soulbiter leaps in to attack her.

Arak:
Rapid Shot
Attack 1:
Hit/confirm: [roll0]/[roll1]
Attack 2:
Hit/confirm: [roll4]/[roll5]
Damage: [roll6]/[roll7]
Attack 3:
Hit/confirm: [roll8]/[roll9]
Damage: [roll10]/[roll11]

Soulbiter:
5' step up after Arak's attacks, then attacking with a bite
Bite:
Hit/Confirm: [roll12]/[roll13]
Damage: [roll14]/[roll15]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 11:28 PM
She manages to evade the last shot but she dashes back, clearly wounded, and glares at Arak angrily. "(Draconic)...I won't forget this," she mutters, turning around and running towards the other side of the volcano.

As Maggie runs away, a shining glint catches Arak's eye. It lands on the ground where she was standing.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 11:34 PM
The hobgoblin snarls and stops his pursuit. He might be able to take her, but he also doesn't know where she's going or what's waiting around the next corner. Regardless, she's proven that she's not helpless; backing her into a corner could be the last mistake he ever makes.

He walks over to the unconscious man, taking a moment to heal Soulbiter as he checks the man's condition.

Cure moderate wounds for [roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 11:37 PM
The man is unconscious but alive. He's bleeding out fast. Arak could finish the job here or he could revive the man and potentially work something out.

Nashor was correct, before there was nothing for them to negotiate. But now there is an option besides 'we give them the staff' or 'we do not give them the staff'.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 11:40 PM
Keeping the man alive might go against Chief Nashor's wishes... but he'd never said that the newcomers had to die immediately. Besides, this man likely has useful information about Maggie's group.

He uses one of his lesser healing spells to stabilize the man. After tying him up, he lifts the man over one shoulder and carries him back to his shack.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 11:44 PM
Once they are in the shack the man comes to. He looks around, tests his bonds, and quickly leaps back in surprise to see Arak there. He starts babbling in that strange tongue.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 11:46 PM
Arak growls and presses the tip of his dagger to the man's throat. "Do you speak Draconic?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 11:47 PM
The man gasps and tears streak out of his eyes as he babbles more.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 11:51 PM
The hobgoblin growls, and repeats his question for Goblin and Aklo.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 11:55 PM
The man still doesn't understand him. It seems that Maggie is the only invader who can speak with him.

Diachronos
2016-10-27, 11:57 PM
Arak snarls and checks to make sure the ropes are secure before leaving. So the man was worthless after all... oh well, he might still be useful as a hostage. He starts heading back toward the volcano.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-27, 11:59 PM
The volcano is empty, at least the clearing where Maggie was before. The path to the other side of the island is clear.

Diachronos
2016-10-28, 12:00 AM
Arak looks around for the glinting object he'd spied earlier.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-28, 12:09 AM
Arak finds the shining object. It appears to be a knife of some kind. When he tests the edge he discovers that it is quite sharp.

Diachronos
2016-10-28, 12:21 AM
Arak finds that the object is a very nice knife, and tucks it into his belt. With that taken care of, he starts in the direction that Maggie had fled in.

Stealth:
Arak: [roll0]
Soulbiter: [roll1]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-28, 12:25 AM
Before he puts it away, Arak realizes there are some letters he doesn't recognize inscribed into the Blade. There's nothing he can do about it now though.

After ten minutes or so Arak emerges on the other side of the volcano. He spies a ship docked against the shore. There, Maggie appears to be repairing her own wounds.

Diachronos
2016-10-28, 12:36 AM
Arak glances around for any sign of Maggie's allies.

[roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-28, 08:35 AM
The other male is on the ship with her. He is reading from a scroll, and seems to be using magic with it.

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 02:51 AM
Arak narrows his eyes and spends a moment bolstering Soulbiter's fighting capabilities with his magic before creeping forward with the young drake.

Casting bull's strength and strong jaw on Soulbiter

Soulbiter's Stealth: [roll0]
Arak's Stealth: [roll1]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 02:59 AM
As Arak takes a step out of the cave he ducks to avoid being shot.

Maggie didn't even turn her gaze toward him. Her pistol is situated on the bow of the ship aimed directly at the exit.

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 03:03 AM
What kind of sorcery is she using to do that? He raises his bow and nocks an arrow, taking aim at Maggie. So far she's proven to be a dangerous foe, and he's not about to let her get another spell off.

Hit/Confirm: [roll0]/[roll1]

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 03:12 AM
His arrow flies and strikes true...

Wait, what?

Maggie doesn't even flinch as the arrow shatters in mid air.

Spellcraft

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 03:23 AM
Arak curses upon seeing the enchantment on the ship. There's little chance of getting a shot off on anybody aboard, so his arrows are useless at the moment...

He calls down a bolt of lightning on the ship.

Call lightning, dealing [roll0] to Maggie if the spell doesn't block it. DC 17 Reflex for half damage

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 03:25 AM
She glances up as the bolt strikes her. Just like when Arak had thrown the snowball at her earlier, the attack seems to not faze her in the slightest.

She frowns and looks down at him. Maggie sighs and picks her pistol up, walking to the edge of the ship. "I take it your discussion with your village didn't go too well?" she calls.

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 03:28 AM
"Our chief wants you off of the island, and he has instructed me to ensure that you and those with you do not disturb us. By any means necessary."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 03:30 AM
She sighs. "Well then, that puts you and me in a bit of a bind, doesn't it? You won't beat me in an outright fight, but I can't kill you while Kross isn't here. For all I know you already hauled him off somewhere. So, where does that leave us?"

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 03:35 AM
Arak lowers his bow. "It does..." With some reluctance he puts his bow away. "Chief Nashor does not believe that any sort of compromise can be reached, but I'm not so quick to believe that."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 03:37 AM
"Compromise? ...Oh, this is about the staff, isn't it? Damn, I knew your tribe had probably already found it...Did you hurt Kross?" She points her weapon right at him and pulls the hammer back while she waits for his answer. Arak is suddenly very relieved that he took the time to make sure the unconscious human was safe and not drake food in that volcano.

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 03:41 AM
"No more than it took to knock him out when you were still with him. I tended to his injuries and brought him out of the volcano."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 03:44 AM
After hearing that, Maggie pulls her weapon back and puts it in its holster. "Then you've got my attention, Arak. What's your idea for a compromise?"

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 03:48 AM
"Well, for one, I'd like to know why you're seeking one of my tribe's most sacred treasures."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 03:51 AM
Maggie's eyes light up. "Oh! I never did explain, did I? Heh." She smiles and drops down toward the deck of the ship so she's closer to eye level with him. "It's for my job. I'm a professor at the Academae, it's a big school in Korvosa. With the Order of the Godclaw having tracked down the Heart's Edge, everyone is scrambling to find the other artifacts of the gods. I was going to put the staff in a museum, where all those who worship Gorum could come and see its wonder."

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 03:58 AM
"A noble intention, but I doubt Chief Nashor would agree." He thinks about Maggie's plan for the staff. Does the Chief really need the staff? Can't the tribe get along without it?

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 04:04 AM
"What are you all using it for, anyway?" Maggie asks.

Diachronos
2016-10-29, 04:08 AM
He shrugs. "It has been in our chief's hands for as long as I can remember. What he does with it, I can't say for certain."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-29, 04:09 AM
Maggie nods. "Then, is there any way I can convince you to let me meet with this chief?"

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 01:17 AM
"The issue is more with convincing him to meet with you. Of course, even if he does, you would have to disarm yourself before being allowed to see him."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 01:23 AM
"That's a cute idea, but it's ultimate pointless. Watch." She tosses her weapon overboard and Arak catches it without thinking. Then the human slams her hands together and the still waters behind her start to rise. Clouds gather in the sky and thunder begins to crash. Her eyes glow red and the volcano behind Arak starts to rumble.

She relaxes her stance and the area around her returns to normal. "I'm happy to turn the weapon over to you if you like, but I fear you'll find me much more dangerous with both hands free."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 02:06 AM
Arak narrows his eyes. "Alright... you've proven that you're an even greater danger without this... thing. Why, then, do you want to meet with the chief? Wouldn't it be easier for you to simply wipe the tribe out and take the staff?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 02:50 AM
Maggie blinks. "Easier? ...I suppose so, but I'm not the type of person who would kill for no reason. Your village hasn't done anything to me, only you and your chief. Besides I'm doing this to make other worshippers of Gorum happy. Doesn't make sense to kill some people so you can make others happy.." She takes the weapon back and holsters it. "Maybe I can convince your chief to make a trade of some kind."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 02:56 AM
"I will see what can be arranged, but I can't promise anything."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 03:02 AM
Maggie smiles. "That's all I can ask of you."

Arak can probably ask the young woman more about herself or her work if he likes, or he can go see Nashor.

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 01:12 PM
"I'm curious about something... does this Academy in Korvosa send you on similar missions to other locations, or is Malmortius Island the first time?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 01:18 PM
Maggie nods. "Well, first of all, I'm a professor. That means I decide my own research. The Academae doesn't 'send' me anywhere. As for how often I travel, I've been doing expeditions like this for about ten years now. I've been all over the world. I've even been to the Frozen Crown and met with the demons from the Worldwound."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 01:31 PM
"I see... have you ever had to deal with situations like this before?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 01:34 PM
"Where a tribe is being difficult? Yes. That's why I carry this jewel instead of putting it in a museum. I can't begin to count the number of times I've almost been killed or worse."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 01:45 PM
Arak nods, eying the gem in Maggie's hand. "How have you handled these tribes in the past?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 01:54 PM
"I try my best to integrate with the tribe, understand their reasons for wanting to impede my work and come to a friendly conclusion by altering my work to better suit the community. I usually spend about six months with any tribe that I come into contact with. I wasn't expecting there to be anyone living on this island, though."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 02:07 PM
Arak nods. So far it's seeming like he can trust this woman... which might be a good thing considering how powerful she seems to be. "It's probably for the best that you encountered me first. I don't believe the other hobgoblins would have been as willing to talk first."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 02:17 PM
"Why are you so interested in talking to me, anyway?" she asks, looking down at him curiously.

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 02:43 PM
"Chief Nashor has gone to great lengths to keep us from exploring even the other nearby islands. I like Malmortius Island, but there is only so much here, and at times I find myself wondering what the world is like beyond our shores."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 02:47 PM
Maggie's eyes widen in surprise and she smiles. "Got a bit of wanderlust in you? I can relate to that."

She seems to have mostly forgiven him for attacking her. "Alright, go make sure Kross is okay. I need him to help me do some research on the volcano."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 02:53 PM
Arak nods and heads back to the village, intending to check on Kross before going to speak to Nashor.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 03:05 PM
As Arak returns to the village he sees his father approaching. "Grishna, the chief said you went out on a dangerous hunt for the tribe. I wish you would have asked for my aid."

The grizzled old hobgoblin Palek has seen his fair share of combat under the previous chief. A skilled sailor renowned for his ability to hunt even the largest of sharks, Palek is too old to do much these days and usually leaves the war to his son.

Grishna - Literally, "shadow". A term used by hobgoblin parents to refer to their adult children when the child has achieved as much as the parent. A mark of great honor, Arak is the only member of the tribe who has this respect from his father.

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 03:15 PM
Arak gives Palek a respectful nod. "I did not want to trouble you with the matter, Father." He grins. "Besides, it didn't prove to be quite as dangerous as we'd assumed. You'd probably have been bored out of your mind if you'd come with me."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 03:19 PM
"I spoke with the young man you brought home. He told me some interesting things."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 03:20 PM
Arak raises an eyebrow. Well, keeping Kross a secret didn't turn out. "You were able to speak with him? What did he say?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 03:39 PM
"He is what is known as a 'human'. An island a few days from here has a tribe of them. We used to trade ash from the volcano for vegetables. So I can speak their language."

He crosses his arms. "He tells me the staff actually has no power when it is in the hands of one without orc blood."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 03:46 PM
Arak narrows his eyes. "He is claiming that in Chief Nashor's hands, the staff is nothing more than a decorative piece of wood?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 03:49 PM
Palek nods simply.

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 03:59 PM
"Do you believe the man's claim?"

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 04:05 PM
Palek shakes his head. "Grishna, my story ended a long time ago. This tale will be yours to tell, if you live to the end of it. Do not ask for my opinion. Ask for facts, and form your own."

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 04:09 PM
Arak nods. "Very well. For what it's worth... I don't believe that these humans are our enemies. I saw the power that the woman with them displayed, and if she'd had the desire to end my life we would not be speaking right now."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 04:16 PM
Palek raises an eyebrow. "She is a fekal. Interesting...You should be careful. Humans are very unpredictable."

Fekal - Literally "coward". Has the same weight and shock associated with calling someone a word that would be censored on this site, but Palek's tone and body language imply a different meaning of the word.

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 04:22 PM
"I will. And even with her strength, I will not hesitate to face her if she proves to be a threat to the tribe."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 04:35 PM
Palek nods. "Would you like me to help you interrogate the human you captured?" he offers.

Well, Arak can take the opportunity to get some info out of Kross, or he can talk to Nashor.

Diachronos
2016-10-30, 04:41 PM
"Another time, perhaps. I must speak to Chief Nashor and see if he can be convinced to meet with their leader."

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-30, 04:48 PM
Palek nods and waves him off.

Nashor is smoking his pipe on his rock, discussing something with his wife as Arak approaches.