PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Fun From Level 1

Afgncaap5
2016-10-27, 02:48 PM
So... my DM's exact words last week were to "bring seven level one characters" for his Halloween one-shot.

He's also said it's "winnable" but that it'll probably be a TPK. He asked us to keep Hickman's Killer Breakfast in mind with a less bloodthirsty, though still unreasonable, game master.

So, I'm trying to come up with seven good character ideas that are really, really fun (even if they aren't "strong" or "optimized" or "good in the slightest") since the basic rule of a killer breakfast is that you die the moment your death becomes more entertaining than your life.

So with the primary goal of having fun and the secondary goal of surviving to the end of the dungeon, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for ECL 1 characters that'd just be fun to play with for a night.

I've got a few ideas that range from fleshed out (a Cleric of Joramy with Fire and Water domains for healing and low, low, low-level turning checks), to vague (1 HD monster with a level adjustment of 0?), to referential (Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light is actually pretty playable if you use the Spheres of Power archetype for Sorcerers... too bad 3.5 doesn't have bloodlines like Pathfinder does. Oh, well!) A few of them just aren't good for serious play (one of my notes says "Nate Winstrom: An Aristocrat.") but might be fun in execution depending on the roleplaying.

So... any thoughts for things that are super fun at level 1? Or any dire warnings of traps that I should avoid?

hector212121
2016-10-27, 02:55 PM
(I tried to play this one once)

How about a goblin who was placed with a family of dwarves by a paladin and actually adopted, along with their brother who is, well, a dwarf.

Since, well, goblin and dwarves, he'd probably have gone through enough roughhousing to have learned to hit below the belt--say, enough to qualify as a Rogue?

Bonus points if he disguises himself as a 'really skinny dwarf'.

flappeercraft
2016-10-27, 02:55 PM
Do this build
Lesser Tiefling Focused Evoker 1

Abilities: 20 Int
Flaws: Noncombatant, Murky-Eyed
Feats: Fell Drain, Easy Metamagic (Fell Drain), Arcane thesis (Magic missile)
Spells: Fell Drain Magic Missile and any other spells

This makes you shoot 2 magic missiles each dealing 1 negative level which makes you able to 1shot ko a 2HD creature or 2 1HD creatures

Edit: I changed the build a bit

Warrnan
2016-10-27, 02:59 PM
If survival is a goal than perhaps Druid might work. Wild cohort and an animal companion would be very very strong body guards at level 1. Be a halfling and pelt enemies with your sling. You get +1 hit and damage from race. Your small size gives you extra AC.

On a less serious note, pick 7 classes and just make one of each.

I'd maybe go last and plug the obvious whole in the party composition. This comes from me playing draft mode in MOBAs online.

For me, I'd choose Scout or Rogue, Wizard, cleric, Druid, Bard, Warlock, and Dread Necromancer.

If you go first you could even roll a die and let Fate decide. :D it is Halloween after all.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-27, 03:09 PM
Fell Drain only applies once per target per casting. Also try it on a sonic snap.

flappeercraft
2016-10-27, 03:11 PM
too bad 3.5 doesn't have bloodlines like Pathfinder does.

There are blood lines on UA page 19

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-27, 03:21 PM
Play an anthrobat artificer called Batman?

Afgncaap5
2016-10-27, 03:43 PM
There are blood lines on UA page 19

True, but the bloodlines there are different from how bloodlines in Pathfinder work, if memory serves. I could be wrong, but I think a closer mechanical comparison to Pathfinder's bloodlines would be the bloodline feats from the Dragon compendium, just... given as class features instead of feats.

Having said that, I don't think I'll be taking too many variant rules from UA apart from the occasional alternate class feature (and even that's doubtful.)

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-27, 07:00 PM
I've had quite a bit of fun at low levels with a Swift Hunter, specifically Scout 2/Cleric 1/Scout +1 into Mystic Ranger, using Travel Devotion for mobility and Knowledge Devotion for combat bonuses.

Brannmuffyn
2016-10-27, 09:14 PM
Here are some ideas:

1. Muckdweller(Serpent Kingdoms, Tiny Monstrous Humanoid LA +0 1HD Race) Warlock with the Darkness invocation as well as Blend into Shadows, At Home in the Deep from Drow of the Underdark, and Darkstalker. If Muckdweller is too cheesy you can go Strongheart Halfling instead and pick up Mortalbane.

2. A Human Exoticist Fighter ACF (#310 p35), Spiked Chain tripper: Grabbing Combat Expertise[Fighter 1], Improved Trip[Human], Jotunbrud[1st], and basically whatever else you want to grab

3. A Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Dragonfire Adept taking Lingering Breath, Entangling Exhalation, and Shape Breath. You can basically run around in circles murdering everyone. Also Dragonborn and Mongrelfolk together makes a +6 Con

4. An Anthropomorphic Bat Druid with Greenbound Summoning(Basically all it needs)

5. A Dragonfire Inspiration Bard, its alright at level 1.

6. A Human Factotum with Iajutsu Focus, with all of his feats being Font of Inspiration.

7. A Human Wizard with Precocious Apprentice and Fiery Burst/Winter's Blast

8. A Commoner 1 with Shape Soulmeld(Dissolving Spittle)

daremetoidareyo
2016-10-27, 09:17 PM
Seven of the same gully dwarf samuraii.

Exocist
2016-10-27, 10:11 PM
Seven of the same gully dwarf samuraii.

Seven of the same gully dwarf samurai and a Female Bard named "Snow White".