PDA

View Full Version : Concordant Killer as a Player Character

Xaroth
2016-10-27, 03:18 PM
So, a long time love of mine in D&D 3.5e is the Concordant Killer. (Monster Manual IV, pg.34) But, due to its high Hit Die, unless I start in a near-Epic campaign I never really have a chance to actually...use it. I've made a high level boss out of a Concordant Killer before, but I've never sized down a Concordant Killer into becoming a playable race.

To be quite honest, it's mostly the way they look that I love, in addition with their Greatsword ability. I'm looking to perhaps nerf it all the way down to even being an LA+2 race, since I think a creature of its power would be impossible to nerf down to LA+0.

Would someone be willing to help me out? I'm not entirely sure where to start, here.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-27, 03:29 PM
As-is, it may be LA +0, actually. 19 outsider HD with some nice abilities, but nothing special at level 19.

Now, if you want to nerf it down to 0 RHD and LA +2, you're basically going to have to drop all SLAs, True Seeing, the immunities (acid, cold, fire, electricity!), DR, SR, natural armour, most of ability scores, and the fly speed. That just doesn't leave a lot to work with. I mean, you can nerf them all down, or build a monster class, but playing an LA +2 race with a free +2 holy axiomatic unholy anarchic greatsword, 1/day shield & magic missile and DR 2/- just isn't the same.

Xaroth
2016-10-27, 03:43 PM
As-is, it may be LA +0, actually. 19 outsider HD with some nice abilities, but nothing special at level 19.

Now, if you want to nerf it down to 0 RHD and LA +2, you're basically going to have to drop all SLAs, True Seeing, the immunities (acid, cold, fire, electricity!), DR, SR, natural armour, most of ability scores, and the fly speed. That just doesn't leave a lot to work with. I mean, you can nerf them all down, or build a monster class, but playing an LA +2 race with a free +2 holy axiomatic unholy anarchic greatsword, 1/day shield & magic missile and DR 2/- just isn't the same.

Well, rather than LA+0, I suppose what I meant was ECL 1. If that's the case, however, what about ECL 5? Would that give more room to work with?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-27, 04:56 PM
Well, rather than LA+0, I suppose what I meant was ECL 1. If that's the case, however, what about ECL 5? Would that give more room to work with?
It depends a bit on what you need, mechanically, to call something a proper Concordant Killer. The alignment stuff is obvious, and probably can be balanced by ECL 5 (though lesser globe of invulnerability is a strong effect at that level), but the super immunities and powerful divinations are pretty much level 10+ material. You can approximate them with weaker divinations and (scaling) resistance.

You can try to mimic the SLAs by taking something like Phrenic as base. In general, I think that's the kind of template you want to look at: one that gives you scaling powers, almost like a couple of monster class levels spread over your regular progression.

So, basically:
1) Start with Phrenic, but substitute Concordant Killer SLAs for appropriate powers, and change the ability score bonuses to suit. Phrenic is LA +2.
2) Design a scaling progression for the energy resistances, DR, NA, ability scores, True Seeing and so on. Make it strong enough to be worth LA +1 at low levels and LA +2 at higher levels, or to taste.
3) Add the sword; it's probably worth LA +1, but less so at higher levels. Technically it's +10 equivalent, except that only two of its abilities can affect a given target.
4) Add the defensive aura; probably worth about as much as the sword. Together, LA +2 at low levels, but LA +1 at higher levels.

You end up with something of about LA 5. Ask yourself: would I play a character with 14 class levels and all Concordant Killer racial features (minus HD, and maybe with lower abilities/NA)?

This is just an example, and leaves a lot of work to do, but it outlines the general process.

Xaroth
2016-10-27, 05:14 PM
It depends a bit on what you need, mechanically, to call something a proper Concordant Killer. The alignment stuff is obvious, and probably can be balanced by ECL 5 (though lesser globe of invulnerability is a strong effect at that level), but the super immunities and powerful divinations are pretty much level 10+ material. You can approximate them with weaker divinations and (scaling) resistance.

You can try to mimic the SLAs by taking something like Phrenic as base. In general, I think that's the kind of template you want to look at: one that gives you scaling powers, almost like a couple of monster class levels spread over your regular progression.

So, basically:
1) Start with Phrenic, but substitute Concordant Killer SLAs for appropriate powers, and change the ability score bonuses to suit. Phrenic is LA +2.
2) Design a scaling progression for the energy resistances, DR, NA, ability scores, True Seeing and so on. Make it strong enough to be worth LA +1 at low levels and LA +2 at higher levels, or to taste.
3) Add the sword; it's probably worth LA +1, but less so at higher levels. Technically it's +10 equivalent, except that only two of its abilities can affect a given target.
4) Add the defensive aura; probably worth about as much as the sword. Together, LA +2 at low levels, but LA +1 at higher levels.

You end up with something of about LA 5. Ask yourself: would I play a character with 14 class levels and all Concordant Killer racial features (minus HD, and maybe with lower abilities/NA)?

This is just an example, and leaves a lot of work to do, but it outlines the general process.

It's certainly a good question, but I'll keep this in mind. Thanks a bunch!