PDA

View Full Version : Psi-Like Abilities - Power as from which class list?

ksbsnowowl
2016-10-27, 05:49 PM
A couple questions regarding psi-like abilities.

Spell-Like Abilities have this handy little notation:

Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.Although it isn't the point of this statement, it is also handy for knowing the spell level a given SLA is treated as. A Flame Strike SLA would be treated as a 5th level spell, rather than 4th level (Clr 5/Drd 4), for example.

The text on Psi-Like Abilities doesn't say anything about this. A Phthisic can manifest Body Adjustment 1/day. Well, that is a Psion 3/Psy War 2 power. If it is cast as Psion primarily, then it would take a 7 HD Phthisic to have it be augmented. But if it is cast as a Psy War, or if it is treated as the lowest possible, then it would already be augmented by the base 6 HD Phthisic in the monster section.

I can glean a little insight from the fact the Body Adjustment is listed as only healing 1d12, rather than 2d12, but I'm wondering if the "primacy" of which class it is treated as is actually listed anywhere in the rules (especially since NPC and Monster stat blocks are notoriously wrong, which started this whole investigation, as it got me wondering if it shouldn't be more than 1d12, since it has an asterisk noting that it includes augmentation).

Am I just blind, and missing where it says this in the rules?

Exocist
2016-10-27, 07:27 PM
I think they might have accidentally just assumed it used the same rules as Spell-Likes, due to Magic/Power transparency.

DrMotives
2016-10-28, 12:49 AM
If you need to implement a standard, it seems that psion/wilder is analogous to wiz/sorc, and so should be first compared to psiwar. I'm not very familiar with the Complete Psionic classes though, so I'm not sure how you'd keep breaking it down, should that come up.

Jormengand
2016-10-29, 12:14 PM
While there's no actual ruling on this, I would suggest psion/wilder>psychic warrior>others for this.