View Full Version : More previews of Volo's Guide to Monsters

Gastronomie
2016-10-28, 03:05 AM
Must. Go. Buy. (http://www.tribality.com/2016/10/24/dd-volos-guide-to-monsters-previews/)

Be warned, because some of the art is pretty grotesque.

Additional Beholder-kin, additional Orcs, additional Mind Flayers, additional Giants, and more. Not only statblocks but also a lot of damn-exciting and interesting fluff. Especially the Beholder-kin - I mean, what? The Beholder-kin are born out of the dreams of real Beholders!? How crazy is that? And how awesome as an idea, at the same time.

Even the information listed in here is more than enough to create dozens of new adventurers just around these hooks. Truly, I can't wait for the release of this book. I can't.

MrFahrenheit
2016-10-28, 03:50 AM
I get that they did a nod to earlier editions, but please tell me some of those cheesier names aren't representative of a wider array of monsters. Gonna have to grab a Lactaid pill otherwise...

Millstone85
2016-10-28, 08:06 AM
Recently, I was wondering about the origin of the gibbering orb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?503473-Of-gibbering-beasts-and-beholderkin). While we don't know if the orb itself will be in the book, it looks like Volo's Guide to Monsters offers a new possible explanation. Don't let a beholder go to sleep after listening to a gibbering mouther! :smalleek:

If separated from its illithid masters, a mindwitness seeks out other telepathic creatures to tell it what to do. Mindwitnesses have been known to ally with flumphs and telepathic planar beings such as demons, shifting their worldview and changing their alignment to match that of their new masters.So you can encounter an illithid-beholder full of flumphy lawful goodness. I love that! :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2016-10-28, 08:25 AM
Recently, I was wondering about the origin of the gibbering orb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?503473-Of-gibbering-beasts-and-beholderkin). While we don't know if the orb itself will be in the book, it looks like Volo's Guide to Monsters offers a new possible explanation. Don't let a beholder go to sleep after listening to a gibbering mouther! :smalleek:

So you can encounter an illithid-beholder full of flumphy lawful goodness. I love that! :smallbiggrin:

What if they go through a series of masters and eventually wind up independent creatures?

I can see the Ancient Mindwitness sitting atop a mountain, dispensing wise advice, after living for a while as each alignment.

Gastronomie
2016-10-28, 08:40 AM
So you can encounter an illithid-beholder full of flumphy lawful goodness. I love that! :smallbiggrin:
What if they go through a series of masters and eventually wind up independent creatures?

I can see the Ancient Mindwitness sitting atop a mountain, dispensing wise advice, after living for a while as each alignment.Introducing normally-evil monsters who have turned benevolent for some reason is one of my favorite things to do as a DM. This guy seems like an ideal monster for that purpose.

Millstone85
2016-10-28, 08:56 AM

I can see the Ancient Mindwitness sitting atop a mountain, dispensing wise advice, after living for a while as each alignment.Alternatively, I imagine that the flumph "masters" would try to teach free will to the mindwitness.

Story hook: Tensions arise between a githzerai community and its flumph neighbors when the latter adopt a mindwitness. Will the flumphs have to find a new source of psionic energy for the sake of one nascent individuality, or will the githzerai make an exception to their hatred of all things illithid?

DragonSorcererX
2016-10-28, 09:14 AM
ABYSS YEAH!!! FIENDISH ORCS!!! TIME TO INTRODUCE THE HORDE!!! (and I'm not even a WoW fan!)

And giants with magical powers also!

Zanthy1
2016-10-28, 09:53 AM
I heard rumor that there is a playable goblin race coming with this edition, and That is what I am truly excited for

Shining Wrath
2016-10-28, 10:37 AM
I heard rumor that there is a playable goblin race coming with this edition, and That is what I am truly excited for

Given the similarity of racial "templates" I think I could homebrew one in a few minutes. Let's see:
Dex + 2, Con +1. Darkvision, racial proficiency in Stealth similar to elves and Perception. Alignment tends toward evil but of course adventurers are different. Size small. Speak Common and Goblin. May encounter discrimination outside goblin communities, similar to Tieflings.

Maybe give them a racial proficiency with light armor and something about warg riding, and we're done.

NecroDancer
2016-10-28, 12:03 PM
In all fairness I think the Beholders we already have are enough, I'd rather see new monsters than more Beholder clones

Draco4472
2016-10-28, 04:16 PM
I'm so glad I pre-ordered my copy!

mephnick
2016-10-28, 04:50 PM
Huh, I'd already ordered it, but those Tanarukk's are going to come at the perfect time for me..

Excellent.

Millstone85
2016-10-28, 05:04 PM
I hope we get a template for humanoids and beasts touched by the Far Realm, like that "pseudonatural" thing I read about. Also the daelkyr and the kaorti, I love these guys.