PDA

View Full Version : Are there any bonuses for being excessively massive?

SangoProduction
2016-10-28, 10:46 AM
I was playing the Pathfinder April Augmented 2016's Gelatinous Ooze, and it says that it is 15,000 lbs (at large size). There's also a feat which allows it to transform to and from its original form to a medium size humanoid. Unless it's sloughing off parts of itself (which could make sense), and spontaneously regaining those parts as a free action, it's just become incredibly dense (roughly 100x as dense as a human body).

So...I noticed that there was no mention to like resisting Bull Rush or anything. (You could argue he gets +4 stability from Cubism, which states that he can't be tripped, but still, not directly related to weight.) Which also got me wondering...can you bull rush a massively oversized object, to move it without regard to your carrying capacity?

I mean, most things that you would otherwise want to haul have a Strength of --, which means they can't make an opposed strength check, regardless of their size.

Inevitability
2016-10-28, 10:57 AM
Nope. I guess weight is inversely proportional to friction in D&D?

Keltest
2016-10-28, 11:04 AM
Were I DMing a scenario like this, I would say that yes, you could potentially move an object like that, but you are going to run the risk of breaking it or yourself, and you will almost certainly tire yourself out if you try and move it any significant distance. You are, after all, literally running into an object over and over again.

And your jello monster pretty much has to be shedding mass somewhere, even if that means opening a pocket dimension or something. Otherwise it would pretty much immediately fall through the floor of whatever it is standing on and sink into the ground beneath it. I don't care how strong it is, 15,000 lbs is a LOT of weight in that small of an area.

SangoProduction
2016-10-28, 11:33 AM
Were I DMing a scenario like this, I would say that yes, you could potentially move an object like that, but you are going to run the risk of breaking it or yourself, and you will almost certainly tire yourself out if you try and move it any significant distance. You are, after all, literally running into an object over and over again.

And your jello monster pretty much has to be shedding mass somewhere, even if that means opening a pocket dimension or something. Otherwise it would pretty much immediately fall through the floor of whatever it is standing on and sink into the ground beneath it. I don't care how strong it is, 15,000 lbs is a LOT of weight in that small of an area.

Wow. I found myself laughing silly for a good 4-5 minutes lol.

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-28, 11:37 AM
Since the rules provide many- or no-legged creatures bonuses against or immunity to trip, it would make sense for high-mass and high-volume creatures to get bonuses against bull rush and overrun, respectively. As it is, I'm pretty sure a character can pass through a gelatinous cube with a successful overrun attempt.

Keltest
2016-10-28, 12:04 PM
Wow. I found myself laughing silly for a good 4-5 minutes lol.

I aim to please.

martixy
2016-10-28, 12:15 PM
Since the rules provide many- or no-legged creatures bonuses against or immunity to trip, it would make sense for high-mass and high-volume creatures to get bonuses against bull rush and overrun, respectively. As it is, I'm pretty sure a character can pass through a gelatinous cube with a successful overrun attempt.

On that note, even if you turn humanoid you can remain no-legged and just move like a slug or something.

A foot-radius base would reasonably be able to support 15K pounds on anything harder than soft ground or mud.

Braininthejar2
2016-10-28, 01:07 PM
I think I planned at some point to summon a huge earth elemental and send it earthgliding through town, with its head above the surface...

Inevitability
2016-10-28, 02:16 PM
If I were DM, I'd give you the bonus. It's not like this situation is especially likely to come up in game anyway (what intelligent creature tries to push the living acid monster?).