PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain soulmelds to me?

SangoProduction
2016-10-28, 12:00 PM
I was thinking of taking Totemist, but...I don't fully understand soulmelds. Do you just passively gain their base effect, or do they have to be bound to *something* before you get any effect?

If you don't get any effect until it is bound...why do some soulmeld classes (like Totemist) get soulmelds before they get chakra binds?

Oh, I missed the bit about Shaping soulmelds, not just binding them.

The maximum number of soulmelds that you can have shaped simultaneously is equal to your Constitution score minus 10 or the number of soulmelds on the table, whichever is lower. At 1st level, you can shape two soulmelds at a time (assuming you have a Constitution score of at least 12).
I assume shaping the soulmeld gives you the bonus that's mentioned in the soulmelds, before the chakra binds?

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-28, 01:04 PM
I assume shaping the soulmeld gives you the bonus that's mentioned in the soulmelds, before the chakra binds?

Yes.

You need to bind the soulmeld to get the more powerful effects, but doing so prevents you from using magic items in the corresponding location on your body. For example, if you bind a soulmeld to your hands chakra, you cannot also benefit from magical gloves.

Erit
2016-10-28, 01:04 PM
You get the basic effect from simply having the meld shaped, additional bonuses for investing essentia, and a secondary effect for binding.

Segev
2016-10-28, 01:39 PM
When you shape a soulmeld, you associate it with one of the body slots to which it theoretically could be bound. You don't have to be able to actually perform a chakra bind to that slot. All this does is prevent you from having a second soulmeld associated with that particular slot. You can still wear a magic item there, for example.

When you do this, you gain its base effect.

If you have the ability to perform a chakra bind to the chosen body spot, you may choose to bind the soulmeld you shape in that slot to that chakra. This prevents you from wearing a magic item there, but grants you the chakra bind power for that soulmeld in that slot.

Of note, when shaping a soulmeld you could bind to your totem chakra, you still have to pick one of the other body slots to which it could be bound to associate it with. If you bind it to your totem chakra, it remains associated with that body slot - preventing another soulmeld from being shaped there - but it doesn't prevent you from using a magic item on the slot it's covering, because the chakra bind is to your totem and not to that slot.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-28, 02:54 PM
Note that the Split Chakra feat allows you to wear a magic item on one slot while a soulmeld is bound, and if the item has the incarnum focus property (MIC), it will let you do the same on the slot you're wearing it on.

The Viscount
2016-10-28, 04:15 PM
All of this is true.
Some basics to remember:
You can readjust all essentia every round as a swift.
You can only shape one soulmeld to a chakra (unless you take double chakra) and you have to shape a soulmeld to bind it (and can only bind it where it's shaped).
You can only bind a soulmeld to one chakra (unless you have enough totemist levels)
Remember that the Totem Chakra is different. You cannot shape anything to the totem chakra, you have to shape it to a regular slot. You can bind any totemist meld to the totem chakra, regardless of what chakra it is shaped to, and with enough levels you can bind the soulmeld to totem and another chakra.

Necroticplague
2016-10-28, 06:06 PM
Someone else posted a thread much like this, so I'll copy-paste my reply there.

Which part do you need explained? It's a pretty simple system.

You have a certain amount of shapes (see class table). You can shape soulmelds on your class list (see soulmelds descriptions). Everything that's shaped must be shaped to some chakra(except for Totem*), and you can't have two things on one chakra without the appropriate feat. Which chakra are acceptable for that soulmeld is listed on the soulmeld. This provides no penalty to you at all. At your option, you can also Bind soulmelds to the chakras they're Shaped to* (for amount of times you can do this, see class table). This unlocks stronger powers for the soulmeld, but cuts off the associated magic item slot (there's a table/list of chakra-item slot associations, most are fairly common sense). you do all that when you meditate in the morning after a good night's rest. You also have a pool of essentia (see class table for how much). You can invest this essentia into soulmelds to make them stronger (the soulmeld will list what more essentia does, and usually binds also have extra essentia benefits that they list). You can invest/re-invest whenever you want, as a swift action, but note there's a level-based limit as to how much essentia you can cram in any one meld (of course, table for that).

*=to clarify, when using your totem bind, you shape to a different chakra, but bind it to the totem chakra.

The Viscount
2016-10-29, 12:09 PM
You can't have 2 things on the Totem Chakra. At level 11 you gain the ability to bind a meld to both your totem chakra and another chakra at the same time, but there's no way to bind 2 things to the totem chakra unless you take Double Chakra.

NomGarret
2016-10-29, 01:35 PM
There's another thing that's commonly misunderstood. The amount of essence you can invest in a single receptacle (such as a soul meld) is *based* on character level, but it does not *equal* character level. I've had a few DMs freak out before I clarified.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-29, 03:35 PM
Soulmelds are found in Magic of Incarnum, The Mind's Eye (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a), Dragon Magic, and Dragon Magazine #350. I don't know if there are any anywhere else.

There's another thing that's commonly misunderstood. The amount of essence you can invest in a single receptacle (such as a soul meld) is *based* on character level, but it does not *equal* character level. I've had a few DMs freak out before I clarified.Honestly, the number of essentia you get and the amount you can invest in soulmelds is abominably pitiful. Yes, some stack, but most don't, and getting four (or five, with a feat) before epic is absolutely awful.

Waker
2016-10-29, 06:41 PM
Soulmelds are found in Magic of Incarnum, The Mind's Eye (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a), Dragon Magic, and Dragon Magazine #350. I don't know if there are any anywhere else.

Honestly, the number of essentia you get and the amount you can invest in soulmelds is abominably pitiful. Yes, some stack, but most don't, and getting four (or five, with a feat) before epic is absolutely awful.
True, but the two base classes that are in MoI both can increase the amount of essentia in their melds by way of class abilities. Assuming you don't multiclass too much, you can get up to 7 in soulmelds with a feat, though the Totemist can only do that with melds attached to the Totem Chakra.
Incarnum is nice, but there are few abilities that are really staggeringly great.

NomGarret
2016-10-29, 07:27 PM

Honestly, the number of essentia you get and the amount you can invest in soulmelds is abominably pitiful. Yes, some stack, but most don't, and getting four (or five, with a feat) before epic is absolutely awful.

Yeah, just because 6 or 7 at level 5 would be a lot doesn't mean it is at 18-20.

SangoProduction
2016-10-29, 07:29 PM
What are the rules on incarnum investment?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-29, 07:37 PM
Yeah, just because 6 or 7 at level 5 would be a lot doesn't mean it is at 18-20.Incarnum receptacles have a limit for how many essentia that you can expand only a VERY limited amount, and it takes a TON of investment to do so. While a level 5 wizard is literally reshaping reality, a 20th level meldshaper gets things like +6d4 energy damage on their attacks at the expense of using their essentia for doing much of anything else. Wow. That's amazing. *Yawn*

Waker
2016-10-29, 07:56 PM
What are the rules on incarnum investment?

Do you mean essentia investment? As a swift action, you can invest any/all of your essentia freely between any soulmelds or class abilities you have. Feats that allow investment come with a note that essentia invested is done so at the start of the day, stays invested for 24-hours and cannot be altered. There is a table on pg 19 of MoI that details the essentia cap that you can put into any meld, class ability, feat or other receptacle. The cap is dependent on character level, not class level.

Character Level
Essentia Capacity

1-5

6-11

12-17

18-20

There are feats and class abilities that increase this cap, such as the feat Improved Essentia Capacity.

SangoProduction
2016-10-29, 07:57 PM
Incarnum receptacles have a limit for how many essentia that you can expand only a VERY limited amount, and it takes a TON of investment to do so. While a level 5 wizard is literally reshaping reality, a 20th level meldshaper gets things like +6d4 energy damage on their attacks at the expense of using their essentia for doing much of anything else. Wow. That's amazing. *Yawn*

Well, you are comparing Wizard to literally anything. The results should be obvious before even considering the otherside.

Do you mean essentia investment? As a swift action, you can invest any/all of your essentia freely between any soulmelds or class abilities you have. Feats that allow investment come with a note that essentia invested is done so at the start of the day, stays invested for 24-hours and cannot be altered. There is a table on pg 19 of MoI that details the essentia cap that you can put into any meld, class ability, feat or other receptacle. The cap is dependent on character level, not class level.

Character Level
Essentia Capacity

1-5

6-11

12-17

18-20

There are feats and class abilities that increase this cap, such as the feat Improved Essentia Capacity.

Thanks. Why does it not go straight for 5 levels each, instead of some awkward growth pattern?

Waker
2016-10-29, 08:02 PM
Thanks. Why does it not go straight for 5 levels each, instead of some awkward growth pattern?

I got no idea. Did you have any other questions or do you have a handle on everything?

SangoProduction
2016-10-29, 08:29 PM
I got no idea. Did you have any other questions or do you have a handle on everything?

yeah. I got it. Thanks.