PDA

View Full Version : Ninja in Raveloft

VenomTongue
2016-10-28, 12:02 PM
So I am about to start Expedition to Castle Ravenloft with a group and one of the players is playing a straight CA Ninja. So far for equipment he has a ring with gives him a persistent grave strike ability. Is there anything else you can think of that he should consider doing to be more efficient.

Also are the jumping rules as messed up as they seem to be? Because we did some math and with 18 Dex and 10 ranks he seems to be able to jump like 70 feet laterally from any position. Also he can jump 20 feet vertically and that just seems extreme.

GilesTheCleric
2016-10-28, 12:19 PM
With 10 (ranks) + 0 (str) + 10 (d20), his avg check is 20.

Long Jump: 20' = DC 20, with a 20' running start.
High Jump: 5' = DC 20, with a 20' running start.

PHB 77.

Cerefel
2016-10-28, 12:35 PM
Ninjas get some good bonuses to jump as they level. It's something they're actually quite good at. Assuming the ninja has a feat or something that gives dex to jump (as dex would otherwise be irrelevant)

Ranks 10
Roll ~10
Great Leap +4
Acrobatics +2
Dex +4

Total 30

With a check of 30 this ninja can (with no actual running start) jump up and grab a ledge 15 feet off of the ground or jump over a 30ft wide chasm

sleepyphoenixx
2016-10-28, 01:16 PM
If he can he should pick up a Shirt of Wraith Stalking (MIC). They're not that expensive and grant at will Hide from Undead, with no save even for intelligent undead.
Everyone should get one if they can, they're priceless for this campaign, but the ability to reliably vanish from all senses (even stuff like Lifesense or Mindsight) is especially nice for sneaky classes.

Get Deathward on your armor, or Soulfire if you can afford it.
Shadow Hands (ToB) with one of teleport maneuvers are useful as well, and the beginner version is cheap. There's also other teleport items like Dimension Stride Boots or Anklets of Translocation, but the Shadow Hands are usable once/encounter instead of a fixed amount of uses/day.
Shadow Cloak (DotU) gets you a 10ft teleport as an immediate action 3/day. Abrupt Jaunt for everyone.
Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)). Get one. Never leave home without it. This thing has saved the lives of several of my characters (and several more lives of their less-prepared party members) and it will do the same for you if you keep it handy and keep its contents in mind.

He probably already has Darkstalker, but i'll mention it anyway for completeness. Pretty much a must have for sneaky chars, and not all enemies are undead even in ECR.

Try to pick up UMD somehow. CA Ninja normally don't get it, but it's one of the most powerful tools in a skillmonkeys arsenal.

Get a PrC. There's very little reason to stay in the class beyond level 2 or 3. Skillmonkey's have several great PrCs. Unless he's dead-set on staying mundane i'd suggest picking up some casting and going for a skillmonkey/caster PrC like Unseen Seer.

Venger
2016-10-28, 01:30 PM
Ninjas get some good bonuses to jump as they level. It's something they're actually quite good at. Assuming the ninja has a feat or something that gives dex to jump (as dex would otherwise be irrelevant)

Ranks 10
Roll ~10
Great Leap +4
Acrobatics +2
Dex +4

Total 30

With a check of 30 this ninja can (with no actual running start) jump up and grab a ledge 15 feet off of the ground or jump over a 30ft wide chasm

boots of agile leaping. let you put dex to jump instead of str, and (arguably more importantly) allow standing from prone as a swift that doesn't provoke aoos.

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-28, 03:12 PM
Also are the jumping rules as messed up as they seem to be? Because we did some math and with 18 Dex and 10 ranks he seems to be able to jump like 70 feet laterally from any position. Also he can jump 20 feet vertically and that just seems extreme.

Yes, and? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iSbIX468P0)

Also, this:

Distance moved by jumping is counted against your normal maximum movement in a round... A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action. If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump.
So yeah, maxing Jump allows what basically amounts to limited flight, but 7th level characters are superheroes anyways and it can eat a lot of actions with the travel time.

VenomTongue
2016-10-28, 05:08 PM
Okay so the ninja in question has a 12 STR. I screwed up earlier.
+1 from STR +2 from synergy with Tumble + 10 from ranks +4 from great leap (also her max movement from 120 a round to 150 because she jumps as if she has the run feat) +2 from from Acrobatics = 19
My question I guess, regarding jumping at least, is does the run feat increase her movement speed if she uses a full round action to move?
Because if her speed goes up when she's running then her movement becomes 150 which is 120 above the 30 baseline so that's 12*4=48 +19= 67 which means that on a roll of ten she is jumping more than 75 feet.
That where I am getting confused.

Cerefel
2016-10-28, 05:51 PM
I see what's happening. You're using total possible movement per round instead of base speed. Base speed is the measurement of how far a character can move with a move action.

VenomTongue
2016-10-31, 12:02 PM
So the ninja can jump at 19 + 1d20.
So that means from nothing the ninja can jump nearly 1d20+19 feet laterally
And jump (1d20+19)/4 straight up in the air.
Still impressive.

Andy other Ravenloft suggestions?