PDA

View Full Version : Level 8 character help?

SangoProduction
2016-10-28, 12:52 PM
OK, hey dudes. I need help in deciding which direction I'm going to take my character in. You may have seen my various posts about my Gelatinous Cube character (from the April Augmented 2016 book). It has 4 levels of Gelatinous Cube...right, let's post the DM's specifications for building the character. I can't decide what character class to take.

Build a 8th level character using 28 point buy with maximum HP at 1st level, average HP accrued thereafter, and appropriate wealth for their level (with no more than half of said wealth invested in a single item). Characters must adhere to a rogue level or Tier 3-4 balance point. Evil and chaotic neutral characters are prohibited.

So, GC gets +16 Con, and -10 Dex. So, I clearly can very safely dump Dex, since it's at a minimum of 1 anyway. Getting decent Strength might be nice, for melee attacks, which can then transfer my Paralysis, which forces a Fort save vs (a very high DC, because of the bonus Con). But I do feel like maximizing Con would be a high priority, especially since I'm going to be hit no matter what I do lol...unless I get some miss chance going, but eh.

So, I was thinking of this one class, at first: Dragonfire Adept.

But then, when asking about how to get the ability to see, a Soulmeld was pointed out to me, the Basilisk Mask, which grants lowlight vision without binding, and if you bind it to your totem, you essentially get an infinitely spammable save-or-lose, with a pretty nice DC and duration, due to having a massive Con bonus (not to mention whatever the hell "dissolving spittle (http://talonsmindscape.wikidot.com/dissolving-spittle)" is). The DC is nowhere near as good as the paralysis, because it scales with essential instead of character level, but it's a nice semi-ranged option that doesn't require hitting AC first, which can be useful for those pesky, agile, armored, rogue-y types.

So, I was thinking of dipping 2 levels in to Totemist to get the chakra bind, and just leave it, taking Dragonfire Adept for the rest.

But now I'm comparing them, and it's like...OK, DFA technically doesn't *need* charisma, because most invocations that are worth anything are buffs. But...like...you can bind all the soulmelds!...well, limited by your daily shaping limit from the class. It seems like a bit of a waste not to make use of it. But DFA has FLIGHT! Can you imagine the terror that is a flying, 15,000 pound gelatinous cube, breathing fire and ice? Hell, drop myself as an improvised weapon and crush foes underfoot!...or...under...under-wall? But Pegasus Cloak also gives flight...if I replace the Basilisk Mask...I can also spend gold instead but...

ERG! I can't decide! HELP!

A totemist can also reallocate his melds, while a DFA is stuck with whatever they take...Which I definitely appreciate. It helps break up a bit of the monotony, if you can change your stuff semi-spontaneously.

denthor
2016-10-28, 01:03 PM
There is a prc that lets you become an jelly in the cleric expansion book

Echch
2016-10-30, 04:07 PM
Your idea seems pretty solid to me. Your DM specifically says you shouldn't be good (I mean, not alignment-wise, but you know...) so I think that it sounds like a fun idea, which immediately makes it a good one, especially in such circumstances.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-30, 04:17 PM
Would symbiotic be able to apply to this character? Im picturing you with an acidborne, intelligent koi swimming around inside you, acting as the brains (and vision) of your GC.

Conradine
2016-10-30, 04:48 PM
http://media.chick.com/tractimages67491/0046/0046_04.gif

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-30, 04:49 PM
That is a homebrew variant of the Dissolving Spittle soulmeld (unless there is an errata somewhere I'm not aware of). The meld deals 1d6 damage, plus 1d6/essentia. It does not scale with level, and there is no limit on daily uses. Similarly, the Basilisk Mask's stone-to-flesh effect does not normally have a duration dependent on constitution: its duration is simply one round.

Are you using full homebrew soulmelds, or did you just search for those and didn't realize they were homebrew?

SangoProduction
2016-10-30, 06:42 PM
That is a homebrew variant of the Dissolving Spittle soulmeld (unless there is an errata somewhere I'm not aware of). The meld deals 1d6 damage, plus 1d6/essentia. It does not scale with level, and there is no limit on daily uses. Similarly, the Basilisk Mask's stone-to-flesh effect does not normally have a duration dependent on constitution: its duration is simply one round.

Are you using full homebrew soulmelds, or did you just search for those and didn't realize they were homebrew?

Oh.... OK, well, now that makes sense why people rate it so poorly. That seriously sucks. Basilisk Mask was pretty sick in that homebrew thing. I guess the handbook which mentioned it was also fooled, lol. They don't make it particularly obvious that it's homebrew,

Martimus Prime
2016-10-31, 04:13 AM
Honestly, with that kind of bonus to con, never not go incarnum - although one does have to question what, if any, chakras a cube of acidic jelly might have in the first place.

SangoProduction
2016-10-31, 09:00 AM
Honestly, with that kind of bonus to con, never not go incarnum - although one does have to question what, if any, chakras a cube of acidic jelly might have in the first place.

Probably all of them, since it's not mentioned that they don't have slots, and by default every creature have every slot.

Martimus Prime
2016-10-31, 05:57 PM
Probably all of them, since it's not mentioned that they don't have slots, and by default every creature have every slot.

RAW I would tend to agree, but it's still worth asking the DM given that there are different item slots for creatures with non-human anatomies (Savage Species might be the official source but I can't recall) and soul melds are sort of built around magic item rules (to the extent that binding one to a chakra renders you unable to use a physical item in that slot unless you have something like Split Chakra). I'm trying to envision what a gelatinous cube with kruthic claws looks like.