PDA

View Full Version : Any Forgotten Realms experts here?

SangoProduction
2016-10-28, 02:05 PM
The campaign I am playing in is being set in "the Lands of Intrigue (Amn, Calimshan, and Tethyr) of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting."

I don't know pretty much anything about that. So can someone give me the major notes about that area?

Padishar
2016-10-28, 02:44 PM
Try to get ahold of a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Best info is there. forgottenrealms.wikia.com may have some good info, but I think they've updated a lot of it for 4th and 5th editions, so it may not be too accurate for a 3/3.5 campaign.

Here's a REALLY quick overview...

Amn: Merchant nation, everyone concerned with making a profit, hate and fear arcane spellcasters

Calimshan: Obsessed with accumulating wealth, magic is commonplace, entire country is a desert (think Arabian Nights)

Tethyr: Recovering from decades of civil war and trouble with monsters, large forests within their borders

AGrinningCat
2016-10-28, 02:50 PM
Forgotten realms expert here:
Drow are cute. You should head to the Underdark and strike up a conversation with one. They love people from the surface world.

SangoProduction
2016-10-28, 03:29 PM
Forgotten realms expert here:
Drow are cute. You should head to the Underdark and strike up a conversation with one. They love people from the surface world.

Ha...ha...I think my skin has lost the ability to vibrate at a frequency that resembles humanoid laughter. *Returns to being a Gelatinous Cube.*

sleepyphoenixx
2016-10-28, 03:48 PM
Try to get ahold of a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Best info is there.
I can only second this. There's enough stuff for each of those countries to fill a few campaigns with, but for a general background reading the relevant chapters in FRCS is your best bet, though Realmshelps.net (http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/landsofintrigue.shtml) has a very short summary. There's also some stuff in Dragons of Faerun and Lost Empires of Faerun.

Typing up everything relevant about the region (since your DM didn't tell any specifics) would take several pages even if you kept it short, and frankly any of it might come up (or not).
Aside from probably needing to look up a few of the details myself i'm not going to write you an essay, sorry. You're not getting out of doing your homework if you want to be properly prepared.:smalltongue:

SangoProduction
2016-10-28, 03:54 PM
I can only second this. There's enough stuff for each of those countries to fill a few campaigns with, but for a general background reading the relevant chapters in FRCS is your best bet.

Typing up everything relevant about the region (since your DM didn't tell any specifics) would take several pages even if you kept it short, and frankly any of it might come up (or not).
Aside from probably needing to look up a few of the details myself i'm not going to write you an essay, sorry. You're not getting out of doing your homework if you want to be properly prepared.:smalltongue:
Lol. Well...I'll just go through it like highschool and pretend I know it. There probably won't be too much that is absolutely needed for me to know beforehand.
Oh a website in your edit. I'll read up there.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-10-28, 03:59 PM
Lol. Well...I'll just go through it like highschool and pretend I know it. There probably won't be too much that is absolutely needed for me to know beforehand.
Oh a website in your edit. I'll read up there.

It should be enough for a general overview. Everything more is probably going to be subject to a knowledge check anyway if you're not metagaming, so it doesn't matter too much if you're not the DM.