PDA

View Full Version : Protection from the Styx

Keldrin
2016-10-28, 05:13 PM
Yeah, we're adventuring in the Abyss; and we need to submerge. DM has said Mindblank won't work (waters act like a Feeblemind), which is fair. We need to retieve some treasure. I could use Otiluke's telekinetic sphere for a short term bathysphere, i think. Summoning an Inevitable was an idea, but it would have to be a mindless construct. No idea if it' s possible to temporarily acquire an evil aquatic outsider status.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Eldan
2016-10-28, 05:51 PM
Bribe a native to get it for you?

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-28, 06:22 PM
DM has said Mindblank won't work (waters act like a Feeblemind)

...Mind Blank does work against Feeblemind, actually. Same as any other [mind-affecting] effect.

Regardless, why do you need to submerge? Most tasks could be performed by summoned or called entities. Fiendish Codex 2 has a description of the Styx's effects, and extraplanar creatures are explicitly immune. Might be relevant if your DM is using the feeblemind effect in the absence of a printed description.

Keldrin
2016-10-28, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. We have some time pressure, no time to rememorize. My DM has ruled the Styx is more powerful than the feeblemind spell, we agree. Dont have the right spells to call an aquatic outsider, and the area is scary even to natives, not likely to find one in time.

So, there we go.

Inevitability
2016-10-29, 01:18 AM
Styx Dragons are naturally immune: turn into a wyrmling?

Also, even if the area is scary to demons, dragons are what you're most likely thing to find there then.

Ashtagon
2016-10-29, 01:26 AM
How about lower water or telekinesis?

Esprit15
2016-10-29, 03:18 AM
Seconding Telekinesis. Also, given that Wish et al cure the effects, it seems within reason that it can grant at least temporary immunity to the effects.