PDA

View Full Version : To build an Exorcist...

Arkhios
2016-10-29, 03:58 AM
With the core (PHB+SCAG) classes and backgrounds allowed, how would you build an Exorcist?

djreynolds
2016-10-29, 04:44 AM
Old priest... or young priest?

Joking aside, I think an exorcist cannot be fully lawful good. He has dealt with evil and is tainted by it, haunted by it.

I like the idea of a cleric (your choice) life, knowledge, nature and the undying warlock combo.

For me, that would be it. The warlock, is there to symbolize, perhaps a temporary possession as he banished an evil spirit and it turned on him.

Coyote81
2016-10-29, 07:15 AM
Chaotic Good Cleric of Death that skips all the nercomantic abilities. He's one that know how to heal with one hand and hurt with the other, He's out to maintain the balance between life and death, and if the death rise and take over the bodies of immortals, it's his job to send them back. (He's kind of like John Constantine.) He follows the gods that determine when you are going to die, and if it's not your time, he's there to heal you and prevent your death until your fateful day.

JellyPooga
2016-10-29, 08:12 AM
Arcane Domain Cleric. They're extra Banishy compared to other Clerics. Acolyte, Scholar or Cloistered works for a Background, though more unusual ones like Noble or even Urchin could work if you put a church-y spin on them.

Arkhios
2016-10-29, 08:47 AM
Thanks for great suggestions so far!
I was hoping maybe a bit more in-depth builds, like which spells to prioritize, if multiclass, which classes and levels, etc. :)

Maybe use standard array as a guideline.

Mandragola
2016-10-29, 08:50 AM
A straight up light domain cleric I think.

Light domain is a bit odd. On the face of it, it's about happiness, sunshine and rainbows, and those are the types of gods who get the domain. Then you look at the spells it gets, and the class features, and virtually everything is about lighting people on fire.

So if you want to make an old school fire-and-brimstone priest, light domain is a pretty decent option. Then be somethign like lawful neutral and carry around a book that you rhythmically bash with your fist whenever you speak. Scowl a lot, too.

JellyPooga
2016-10-29, 10:35 AM
Race: Wood Elf (for mysteriously walking out of mist) OR Half-Elf (because...well, just because)
Class: Cleric (Arcana Domain)
Background: Acolyte

Ability Scores (Standard Array)
Str: 8
Dex: 12(+2 if Wood Elf)
Con: 13(+1 if Half-Elf)
Int: 10
Wis: 15+1
Cha: 14(+2 if Half-Elf)

Skill Proficiencies
Race: Perception (+Investigation OR Intimidation if Half-Elf)
Background: Religion, Insight
Class: Persuasion, History
Arcana Domain: Arcana

ASI/Feats
4th: +2 Wis
8th: +2 Wis
12th/16th/19th: Your choice of the following;
Alert, Inspiring Leader, Lucky, Observant, Resilient (Con), War Caster or other ASI of choice

Spells
(These are thematic suggestions, not an exhaustive or required list. In (Brackets) are Domain spells. In [Square Brackets] are my suggestions for Arcane Mastery at 17th.)
Cantrips: Guidance, Light, Thaumaturgy, (Domain) Chill Touch, Blade Ward, (4th) Resistance, (10th) Sacred Flame
1st: (Detect Magic, Magic Missile) Bless, Cure Wounds, Detect E/G, Healing Word, Prot vs. E/G, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd: (Magic Weapon, Magic Aura) Aid, Augury, Calm Emotions, Enhance Ability, Gentle Repose, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Prayer of Healing, Silence, Zone of Truth
3rd: (Dispel Magic, Magic Circle) Beacon of Hope, Daylight, Mass Healing Word, Protection from Energy, Remove Curse, Revivify, Speak with Dead, Tongues
4th: (Arcane Eye, Secret Chest) Banishment, Death Ward, Divination, Locate Creature
5th: (Planar Binding, Teleportation Circle) Commune, Dispel E/G, Greater Restoration, Hallow, Legend Lore, Mass Cure Wounds, Raise Dead, Scrying
6th: [Globe of Invulnerability] Forbiddance, Heal, Planar Ally, True Seeing
7th: [Sequester] Conjure Celestial, Divine Word, Etherealness, Plane Shift, Resurrection
8th: [Sunburst] Antimagic Field, Holy Aura
9th: [Imprisonment] Mass Heal, True Resurrection

Specter
2016-10-29, 11:01 AM
The book says Abjurers can do exorcisms, so I'd go with that. They would definitely be the best dispellers and counterspellers.

Arkhios
2016-10-29, 05:55 PM
Abjurer's might be better to counter active assaults from hostile entities, but I do agree that clerics would be the way to go, since they do actually have better spells overall to protect from and remove hostile entities.

Axorfett12
2016-10-30, 03:05 AM
I actually think devotion paladins are great exorcists. They get all the relevant spells, turn undead, at will radiant damage, and an aura of protection from evil. In addition to all the base paladin goodies like good saves and nova damage.

Arkhios
2016-10-30, 09:08 AM
I actually think devotion paladins are great exorcists. They get all the relevant spells, turn undead, at will radiant damage, and an aura of protection from evil. In addition to all the base paladin goodies like good saves and nova damage.

That... actually makes sense. Nice!
Looking too far for answer while my favorite class (oaths aside) is the best answer for it. Lol.

JellyPooga
2016-10-30, 09:22 AM

Whilst true, Paladins feel a little too martial for a true "exorcist" archetype, at least from the modern perception of the priest waving his holy symbol shouting "The power of [deity] compels you!" whilst being all but helpless except for their faith. As soon as you start going into Paladin territory, you're verging on playing a caricature like the priest in Braindead who "kicks butt for the lord", rather than a character you can take seriously as an exorcist and not something else.

I think the "martial exorcist" can work in D&D, certainly; it almost has to because of the setting and so forth, but I think it's straying from being a true exorcist, per se and into being more of a templar or war-priest. It all depends on where you draw the line and which side of that line you want to be on, I suppose.

Axorfett12
2016-10-30, 10:58 AM
If going for a less martial, more faith based build, I would build it as a variant human Sun Soul Monk/Light Cleric. Mostly cleric, just splash 4 levels of monk for the beams of light and unarmored defense. That way you can walk around in priests garments and still survive. For your feat, take either mage slayer, Observant (for that investigative feel), or magic initiate (prestidigitation, control flames, pro. good and evil).

Biggstick
2016-10-30, 03:15 PM
Whilst true, Paladins feel a little too martial for a true "exorcist" archetype, at least from the modern perception of the priest waving his holy symbol shouting "The power of [deity] compels you!" whilst being all but helpless except for their faith. As soon as you start going into Paladin territory, you're verging on playing a caricature like the priest in Braindead who "kicks butt for the lord", rather than a character you can take seriously as an exorcist and not something else.

I think the "martial exorcist" can work in D&D, certainly; it almost has to because of the setting and so forth, but I think it's straying from being a true exorcist, per se and into being more of a templar or war-priest. It all depends on where you draw the line and which side of that line you want to be on, I suppose.

I think it plays a larger part on how you play the character. I've played with bookish Paladins who keep their sword in it's sheathe and Clerics who pull out a mace every chance they get.

The big spells for dealing with possession are Dispel Evil and Good and Hallow. Paladin has access to one, as well as a ton of other possession/charm based defensive buffs useful for dealing with a possession (can't be charmed or feared by the possessing spirit, and neither can the possessee, +Cha to saves for the possessee, etc.)

What exactly does the Cleric bring other then earlier access to these big spells?

JellyPooga
2016-10-30, 04:08 PM
What exactly does the Cleric bring other then earlier access to these big spells?

That's exactly it, though; the Cleric has earlier acces and a greater breadth of spells that fit the archetype. Add to that the knightly image and playstyle of the Paladin and you're straying from the notion of the true exorcist.

I'm not saying that a Paladin wouldn't make a good exocist, only that it would be a different image to that of the exoricist from the film of the same name.

JackPhoenix
2016-10-30, 05:09 PM
That's exactly it, though; the Cleric has earlier acces and a greater breadth of spells that fit the archetype. Add to that the knightly image and playstyle of the Paladin and you're straying from the notion of the true exorcist.

I'm not saying that a Paladin wouldn't make a good exocist, only that it would be a different image to that of the exoricist from the film of the same name.

Well, we're also dealing with different setting where the exorcised demon or possessing ghost may decide to try physically murder you in its true form. Or call friends. Wearing armor is reasonable precaution.

Biggstick
2016-10-30, 05:54 PM

A Cleric is going to be wearing armor just the same as a Paladin. I don't know of any Cleric that wears something lighter then medium armor, where as a Dex Paladin is much more likely to have the look of the "true" exorcist by wearing light armor.

I'll give you the spell access, but that's all I really see as making the Cleric a more typical image of the Exorcist as compared to a Devotion Paladin.

JellyPooga
2016-10-30, 06:06 PM
A Cleric is going to be wearing armor just the same as a Paladin. I don't know of any Cleric that wears something lighter then medium armor, where as a Dex Paladin is much more likely to have the look of the "true" exorcist by wearing light armor.

I'll give you the spell access, but that's all I really see as making the Cleric a more typical image of the Exorcist as compared to a Devotion Paladin.

The superior Turn Undead and as I've already mentioned, an Arcana Domain Cleric has even better Turning ability. Something the Paladin can't do near as easily.

I'll grant that this following option is open to a Paladin, but an unarmoured Cleric is far more likely a character than an unarmoured Paladin. The greater spellcasting and turning, not to mention Divine Intervention, are far more in-keeping with the archetypal exorcist than any Paladin. The Paladins focus on close quarters fighting shifts his theme dramtically in a certain direction, where the Cleric has slightly more options; after all, it's perfectly within an optimal Clerics remit to not bother overly with his own defences.

Trabian
2016-10-30, 08:28 PM
A normal cleric, with just about any domain would be the best, although life and nature might be the most thematically appropriat, wanting to put undead to rest.
Why?

Because the best tools against possession are already in the toolbox. some spell selections are more based on movie tropes rather than existing monster stats.
The best one is Protection from Evil and Good. Lasts a few minutes, stops direct mindcontrol.
Bless to help someone make his saving throws
Detect evil and good detects loads of things capable of posession or mind control

Augury and Zone of Truth to get info you need to solve a few cases where first investigation needs to be done.
Gentle Repose To prevent any loose spirit from raising undead.
Silence ever seen the Exorcist, and noticed the many instances where the priests just wanted that girl to shut up?
Hold Person for when innocents are involved.

Remove Curse, Dispel Magic to get rid of nasty effects.
Daylight for those cases when Light won't do, or you just need to show someone how to have a sunny disposition.
Magic Circle to keep it in one place, or to protect an area.
Animate Dead If you're the first one to animate the dead, others can't.
Revivify For the times you're too enthusiastic in exorcising stuff.
Speak with dead Ask the neighbouring spirits for some dirt on the offender.
Tongues If the possessed one is talking in tongues, you'll always understand them. Or just cast it on them and everyone can understand it.

Banishment, Death Ward, Hallow are just some of the others.

And sometimes Turn Undead will suffice.

Joe the Rat
2016-10-31, 09:09 AM
The basic spell toolkit:
Protection From Evil and Good
Banishment
Dispel Evil and Good

Seriously, that's the core. The first grants new saves (with advantage) against a possession, the others give you ways to remove nonresidents.

Additional tricks:
Resistance
Detect Evil and Good
Sanctuary
Calm Emotions
Lesser Restoration
Magic Circle
Remove Curse
Speak with Dead
Greater Restoration
Hallow
Hold Monster
Dominate Monster
Imprisonment

For the Priestly types, Clerics definitely fit the bill, and have access to just about the entire list. Devotion Paladins can bring some useful tools to the game.

If you want to go for more of the Hellblazer route (John Constantine, the Winchester Bros., etc), Wizard (Abjurist in particular) and Warlock (Tomelock for the surprisingly few rituals on the list) can make a good foundation.

Lore Bard would be an unusual take, or would make an interesting addition to a team (Bardic Inspiration paired with Protection E/G), but doing this will require almost all of the Secrets.

Arkhios
2016-10-31, 09:25 AM
While not my initial purpose for this thread, I couldn't help but begin to picture a "ghostbuster" team out of the presented options:

Devotion Paladin for the undeniably great aura, and Turn the Unholy (both undead and fiends).
Arcane Cleric for Arcane Abjuration to drive away everything that doesn't belong in "this world".
Abjurer to counter the actively hostile beings' assault.
Lore Bard to back them all up.

And as a wild card (or multiclass w/cleric): Hunter Conclave Ranger with Undead and/or Fiends as Favored Enemies.

Arkhios
2016-10-31, 12:32 PM
Alright, in a group I'm the DM for, there's this character that's at 3rd level and had crazy good rolls for stats (17+1, 17+1, 16, 11, 15, 12; vHuman Assassin w/Sharpshooter)
If she chose to multiclass to become an exorcist, which way you would go?

Minor modifications to the stats are ok, as long as the character remains more or less as it is now.

Axorfett12
2016-10-31, 02:35 PM
I'd say take level 4 as a rogue, pick up magic initiate cleric for PfEaG. Then take 2-4 levels of light or arcana cleric and return to rogue.