PDA

View Full Version : Any immortal playable races?

danielxcutter
2016-10-29, 06:21 AM
Elans and Warforged don't age and are immortal if not killed. Are there any other PC races that have that trait?

Inevitability
2016-10-29, 06:25 AM
Killoren, Necropolitians, anything with Wedded to History...

SangoProduction
2016-10-29, 06:56 AM
If April Fool's content is on the table, the Gelatinous Cube, which can live so long as it's got food, and ring of sustenance is a thing.

Necroticplague
2016-10-29, 07:25 AM
If April Fool's content is on the table, the Gelatinous Cube, which can live so long as it's got food, and ring of sustenance is a thing.

There's an April Fools for A Gelatinous Cube? Which year's Dragon was that?

Exocist
2016-10-29, 08:43 AM
A quick check on CrystalKeep will bring up this:

At 0 Level Adjustment:

Dragon:

- Dragonwrought Kobold

Construct:

- Warforged (Races of Eberron)
- Warforged Scout (Monster Manual III)
- Exiled Modron (Dragon 354)

Fey:

- Killoren (Races of the Wild)
- Jermlaine (Monster Manual II)

Outsider:

- Neraphim (Planar Handbook)

-------------------------------

Templates:

Undead:

- Dhampir (Denizens of Dread?)
- Necropolitan

That's about as much as I can do quickly. Uncle Kitty's guide is really hard to seperate LA 0 from LA -, so I had to do it from memory.

Inevitability
2016-10-29, 08:50 AM
- Dragonwrought Kobold

Dragonwrought kobolds aren't immortal. Even if they count as true dragons (debated topic yadda yadda yadda), true dragons can still die of old age. Dracolichdom would be unappealing if they couldn't.

There's an age table for kobolds in RotD that points out that Dragonwroughts only get a few decades older than regular kobolds. They're by no means immortal.

MisterKaws
2016-10-29, 08:51 AM
Kobolds can only actually keep living as long as you level four times every ten years, and that's not going to be that easy after the 30s.

Exocist
2016-10-29, 09:02 AM
Dragonwrought kobolds aren't immortal. Even if they count as true dragons (debated topic yadda yadda yadda), true dragons can still die of old age. Dracolichdom would be unappealing if they couldn't.

There's an age table for kobolds in RotD that points out that Dragonwroughts only get a few decades older than regular kobolds. They're by no means immortal.

I recall a table for Dragon Age categories, with the last one being "Great Wyrm" at 2401 years and there being no maximum age. Must have remembered incorrectly though.

Wouldn't Dracolichdom be for if (hear this out right...) some adventuring party, on some off chance, hears about your pile of gold and magic items, kicks in your door and kills you? I mean, what are the odds of that happening and all, but still I would assume Dracolichdom is to prevent dying of OTHER causes.

Hecuba
2016-10-29, 09:11 AM
I recall a table for Dragon Age categories, with the last one being "Great Wyrm" at 2401 years and there being no maximum age. Must have remembered incorrectly though.

Wouldn't Dracolichdom be for if (hear this out right...) some adventuring party, on some off chance, hears about your pile of gold and magic items, kicks in your door and kills you? I mean, what are the odds of that happening and all, but still I would assume Dracolichdom is to prevent dying of OTHER causes.

Arranging for a resurrection would sort that out without the downsides, and if you're a Great When, you probably know a guy who San sorry that out.

Anxe
2016-10-29, 09:14 AM

The Draconmicon clarified that a bit. All dragons die by the time they're 4,500 years depending on the type of dragon, charisma score, and constitution checks.

I'd also lump elves into the immortal race pile. They aren't immortal by RAW but many campaign settings override that and make them live forever.

SangoProduction
2016-10-29, 09:45 AM
There's an April Fools for A Gelatinous Cube? Which year's Dragon was that?

Dreamscarred Press, April Augmented 2016

Inevitability
2016-10-29, 09:52 AM
Kobolds can only actually keep living as long as you level four times every ten years, and that's not going to be that easy after the 30s.

Then you might as well say every race is immortal, as long as it can get a new epic feat to spend on Extended Life Span every few years.

SangoProduction
2016-10-29, 10:00 AM
Any undead or "deathless" template also effectively gives immortality, given that you die first....wow, I almost sound like a religious preacher.

Anyway, their LAs tend to make them less than "playable", but it's still playable. Ascending to godhood, and then finding a DM to run a god campaign is also another way. Not playable in absolutely every campaign....in fact, in virtually no campaigns, but still.

MisterKaws
2016-10-29, 10:18 AM
The Draconmicon clarified that a bit. All dragons die by the time they're 4,500 years depending on the type of dragon, charisma score, and constitution checks.

Yup. Only Time Dragons override that, since they usually take more than that long just to get to Great Wyrm.

Then you might as well say every race is immortal, as long as it can get a new epic feat to spend on Extended Life Span every few years.

Pretty much this. Kobolds are just a cheaper investment, since you just have to take a feat you'd have taken anyway, then keep boosting your main stat, so not much of a hassle, unlike spamming Extended Life Span.

ShurikVch
2016-10-29, 02:04 PM
Cauldron Spawn, Ghoulish and Ghastly creatures are Undead templates without any LA adjustments

Einherjar template make you into Quasi-Deity

Telonius
2016-10-29, 03:04 PM
Prestige classes, not races; but Green Star Adept and Cloud Anchorite can get it for you, and aren't limited by race.

EDIT: Also, this link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996) may be of interest to you.

Inevitability
2016-10-29, 03:12 PM
Prestige classes, not races; but Green Star Adept and Cloud Anchorite can get it for you, and aren't limited by race.

EDIT: Also, this link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996) may be of interest to you.

Don't forget Renegade Mastermaker, which is an absolutely underused class that needs more love.

ShurikVch
2016-10-29, 03:23 PM
Grim Psion and Incantifier are immortal from the 1st level

elonin
2016-10-29, 04:01 PM
Killoren do have a maximum age given in races of the wild.

Exocist
2016-10-29, 06:19 PM
Killoren do have a maximum age given in races of the wild.

They don't, actually. Read page 106.

Killoren age normally through the Old Age category, but they never reach the Venerable age category and can choose to live indefinitely should they choose to do so.

danielxcutter
2016-10-29, 08:52 PM
Don't forget Renegade Mastermaker, which is an absolutely underused class that needs more love.

Cool: yes, underused: yes, what I'm looking for: no. The class itself is OK, but as many, many, many people have said: If you want to become a Warforged, why not be one from the start? For an NPC it does have a buttload of potential, though, so not that bad.

Exocist
2016-10-29, 09:25 PM
Cool: yes, underused: yes, what I'm looking for: no. The class itself is OK, but as many, many, many people have said: If you want to become a Warforged, why not be one from the start?

So you can be a Human, take Troll-Blooded at first level and eventually go into Warforged Juggernaut to become immune to damage? :smalltongue:

Although an easier way to do that is just with (Ranger or Druid) 5/Master of Many Forms 7/Warforged Juggernaut 2, but some people like the long and complex route..