PDA

View Full Version : What feats add intimidate to your class skill list?

WarKitty
2016-10-29, 12:53 PM
I have martial study right now, but I'm not sure that was the optimal selection. I can't hit anything in melee anyways very well, so the maneuvers aren't particularly useful. So I'm looking for other feats that might do something more useful.

Venger
2016-10-29, 01:10 PM
I have martial study right now, but I'm not sure that was the optimal selection. I can't hit anything in melee anyways very well, so the maneuvers aren't particularly useful. So I'm looking for other feats that might do something more useful.

if you're a cleric, dread tyranny, if you're not, apprentice soldier. that's it for feats.

what's your build look like? there's always dips.

Troacctid
2016-10-29, 01:24 PM
www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?491181-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills

There's also Illithid Heritage and Initiate of Tiamat.

WarKitty
2016-10-29, 01:30 PM
if you're a cleric, dread tyranny, if you're not, apprentice soldier. that's it for feats.

what's your build look like? there's always dips.

Bard going to lyric thaumaturge. Why on earth intimidate isn't on the bard skill list I don't know, but I'd be pretty reluctant to lose a caster level just to pick up one skill.

Eotyrannus
2016-10-29, 03:36 PM
If it's PF, there's a lot of traits that add Class Skills. Dunno about D&D.

Troacctid
2016-10-29, 03:42 PM
I would go with Apprentice (Soldier) because:
a. It gives you +2 to Fortitude saves, which is useful;
b. It comes with +2 to Intimidate and 2 extra skill ranks; and
c. You can trade it for Mentor at 5th level to get a free cohort.

WarKitty
2016-10-29, 05:07 PM
I would go with Apprentice (Soldier) because:
a. It gives you +2 to Fortitude saves, which is useful;
b. It comes with +2 to Intimidate and 2 extra skill ranks; and
c. You can trade it for Mentor at 5th level to get a free cohort.

Unfortunately it looks like I won't qualify for mentor on skill points (and if I wanted a cohort me and my 22cha at level 6 would take leadership). But the +2 to fort looks nice, I'll just have to free up 500gp.

Actually, how much gold would I have to spend?

Zeruel
2016-10-29, 05:35 PM
The Apprentice line of feats is always relied upon but has many obligations in terms of roleplay and they may become demanding, and still nobody seems to remember Skill Knowledge form Unearthed Arcana: either two of your class skills or one of your cross-class skills becomes class skill for all your classes, even future ones. Simple as that...

Venger
2016-10-29, 05:38 PM
The Apprentice line of feats is always relied upon but has many obligations in terms of roleplay and they may become demanding, and still nobody seems to remember Skill Knowledge form Unearthed Arcana: either two of your class skills or one of your cross-class skills becomes class skill for all your classes, even future ones. Simple as that...

While true, if you're starting at a level past the point where it actually puts any RP obligations on you, no one cares.

Skill knowledge requires your gm to allow UA's alternative skill rules, which not everyone does, while apprentice is part of the normal rules.

WarKitty
2016-10-29, 05:38 PM

Honestly in this case the apprentice feat is perfect. We're starting the campaign at level 6, so the character would have already graduated. I'd probably have to tweak it a little to fit the character's background, but I think the GM would be ok with that. The only worry is how much gold to subtract for the tithes.

Troacctid
2016-10-29, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately it looks like I won't qualify for mentor on skill points (and if I wanted a cohort me and my 22cha at level 6 would take leadership). But the +2 to fort looks nice, I'll just have to free up 500gp.

Actually, how much gold would I have to spend?
100 gp each time you gain a level until you graduate from your apprenticeship at 5th level, so 400 gp total.

Well, if you're starting at 5th level, you've already graduated from your apprenticeship and you no longer have any roleplaying obligations.

Skill Knowledge only works with the variant skill systems (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm) from Unearthed Arcana, so it should not be available in most games.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-29, 05:56 PM
Their is a dragon mag feat thzt gives you two cha skills of your choice, but you always have a chaotic aura, not that it matters.

Zeruel
2016-10-29, 06:14 PM
While true, if you're starting at a level past the point where it actually puts any RP obligations on you, no one cares.

Skill knowledge requires your gm to allow UA's alternative skill rules, which not everyone does, while apprentice is part of the normal rules.

Honestly in this case the apprentice feat is perfect. We're starting the campaign at level 6, so the character would have already graduated. I'd probably have to tweak it a little to fit the character's background, but I think the GM would be ok with that. The only worry is how much gold to subtract for the tithes.

Well, if you're starting at 5th level, you've already graduated from your apprenticeship and you no longer have any roleplaying obligations.

Skill Knowledge only works with the variant skill systems (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm) from Unearthed Arcana, so it should not be available in most games.

If it fits the level and roleplaying then you should totally go for Apprentice of course. I'm probably too used to having the DM allowing UA, but I still felt the need to point out the existance of the feat. It's not a very known one, and since it's not OP I don't see why it should be overlooked so easily, beside being from a not very used source.