PDA

View Full Version : What to do for my next level...opinions please.

Starchild7309
2016-10-29, 04:39 PM
Ok so some back story. I started as a half elf wild mage sorcerer with a CHA of 20. I died and was reincarnated as a dwarf, CHA 18, but lots of HP. I kept getting the age change surge and was reduced to 6 yrs old. I get the reincarnation surge, get killed and come back in a new dwarf body(I suck at rolling apparently). I then proceed to get the age change one again and I am now 9 yrs old in game. I am also currently 11th level going on 12th very soon. I have to chance to bump my CHA to 20 again, but according to my DM if I get a new body (which I am actively in the process of searching for), and my CHA goes up to 20 from a body change, the +2 I put into my CHA now would go into either WIS or INT (both of which are pretty much dump skills for me).

Therefore, I am considering a feat or a multiclass instead at this level, but looking for opinions. My stats now as a hill dwarf are
Str: 13
Dex:14
Con:14
Int:12
Wis:10
Cha:18

MM: Heighten, Quicken, Twin
Spells: Shield, Mage armor, Chromatic Orb, Mirror image, Scorching ray, Blink, Fireball, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Telekinesis, Teleportation Circle, Disintegrate.
I have the lucky and tough feat already. Should I pick up another feat or throw the +2 into a stat? Maybe I should multiclass...I am not sure what to do with this level. I am not really looking to pick up any martial ability as I try to stay out of the fray. Any help or suggestions/opinions are welcome. If you have any questions I will try to respond promptly. Thanks.

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-29, 04:55 PM
Well, 2 levels in Warlock never hurt anyone, especially with Cha20.

Warcaster or Crossbow Expert feats could be useful too. CE for blasting at melee range if they ever do get the drop on you.

A +2 in Cha seems good. Not all races get the +2, and you might not even get reincarnated again.

Your DM seems reasonable, ask if you could put the +2 somewhere other than Int/Wis (although being able to make Perception or Insight isn't bad). It's technically an ASI that you earned, and if you'd already had Cha20 you would have had the choice of any other stat or a Feat.

bid
2016-10-29, 06:20 PM
Warcaster: you already have Con proficiency and as a prime target, will never get OA. Not useful
Crossbow Expert: you have some save spells, which are unaffected by melee range. Not useful.

Con+2 might be useful.
Dex+2 or moderately armored would help AC.
Cha+2... well getting Wis+2 wouldn't be that bad.

I would pick moderately armored.

Starchild7309
2016-10-29, 08:57 PM
I like the idea of warlock, just not sure how to work it in r/p wise. Gives me more time to see about my quest for a new body. I am very conflicted over this level.

ClintACK
2016-10-29, 09:43 PM
I like the idea of warlock, just not sure how to work it in r/p wise. Gives me more time to see about my quest for a new body. I am very conflicted over this level.

Make a faerie bargain -- to help you get back to being a half-elf.

("Hey, why am I still a dwarf?"

"Oh, dear child, you neglected to specify *when*. All in good time."

The Wizard laughs. "Who still thinks dumping Intelligence was a good idea?")

djreynolds
2016-10-30, 02:52 AM
Moderately Armored is a good choice if you do not wish to multiclass, its basically +4 AC with half-plate and a shield as compared to mage armor... which you could change out now for another spell.

Mage armor and 14 dex is AC 15.

Half Plate and 14 dex is 17, plus a shield is 19. Its a start.

1 level of paladin would give you medium armor and shield.

2 levels gives you cure wounds, can cast that in any spell slot.

Also paladin will get at level 2, access to protection from evil... not bad, as you do not have blur and your wisdom save is 0, only useful versus certain foe... which you will certainly face at 12th level. Shield of faith comes to mind.

Moderately armored or paladin, dump mage armor and get misty step to run away.

PeteNutButter
2016-10-30, 08:16 AM
I say embrace your dwariness and pump cha again.

Check it: You clearly care about hp since you took the tough feat. You are one resilient sorcerer right now; no other race is going to be getting 9 hp per level as a wild mage. It also appears to have fixed your -1 wisdom.

Now if you are lucky enough to roll reincarnate (which might take a while even if your DM lets you roll on every spell) then you only have an 8% chance of getting either half elf or tiefling for +2 cha. That's a 2% (of rolling reincarnate) chance of an 8% chance (of getting a +cha race) on every spell assuming your tides of chaos has been used and DM lets you trigger every spell. So every time you trigger a surge you have a .0016% chance of fixing your problem. You cast 16 spells a day plus potentially another potential 6 level 1 from sorcery points. So the chances of you NOT getting reincarnate and then getting a +2 cha race are 99.84%^16 = 97.47%. So you have about a 2.5% chance on each adventuring day to fix your issue IF you surge on all 16 spells and use all your sorcery points to get 1st level spells. Theoretically if you push it and dump your higher level spells for more surges you can push it to about 3.5%, but at that point you're not really helping the party casting a crap ton of 1st level spells only.

I know your character isn't super wise, but he might have to face the facts of his dwarfiness not going away too quickly. I'd pump cha. To be honest, even though wisdom is a dump stat, its never a good idea to have crap saves in it. Sorcerer is one of few casters that doesn't get wisdom saving throws, and boosting it a tad wouldn't hurt. Also if you rolled a +1 cha race like dragonborn, or halfling (and your dm let you pick sub-race) you can hopefully rearrange that extra 1 point into wisdom and be in good shape still.

nilshai
2016-10-30, 09:50 AM
You'd get Charisma 22, since you got the ASI from your class first and it's the racial ASI that pushes above 20. The racial ASI doesn't have the max 20 restriction. If the dm want's to screw you over, do it first.

Starchild7309
2016-10-30, 11:16 AM
You'd get Charisma 22, since you got the ASI from your class first and it's the racial ASI that pushes above 20. The racial ASI doesn't have the max 20 restriction. If the dm want's to screw you over, do it first.

Dm has already stated that I cannot have a CHA of 22.

2D8HP
2016-10-30, 11:22 AM
Get a level of Rogue and get Expertise in Perception (always useful) and either Athletics or Stealth (so many uses).

Hrugner
2016-10-30, 01:08 PM
Warlock easy. It's time to make a pact with death itself, he clearly doesn't want you so you need to open up negotiations to sweeten the deal. Go with the undying pact from swordcoast.

Starchild7309
2016-10-30, 04:56 PM
Warlock easy. It's time to make a pact with death itself, he clearly doesn't want you so you need to open up negotiations to sweeten the deal. Go with the undying pact from swordcoast.

I love the r/p aspect of this, but the undying ability at one is a throw away as we have fought like 3 undead all campaign. I might consider this though. Forgot about the SCAG having some options in it.

djreynolds
2016-10-30, 08:37 PM
1 level of paladin is worth up to +4 AC with half plate and a shield over what you have now with mage armor and a 14 dex.
This way you can stop dying.

TheProfessor85
2016-10-30, 10:36 PM
Yeah I'd say pali might be good.

SillyPopeNachos
2016-10-31, 06:16 AM
Have you thought about the lucky feat? It's good for anyone.

Starchild7309
2016-10-31, 08:12 AM
Have you thought about the lucky feat? It's good for anyone.

Stated I already have it.

Starchild7309
2016-10-31, 11:30 AM
Yeah I'd say pali might be good.

Any place you know of that has a reliable list of the elven pantheon. With the time shift between 3.5 and 5th I am slightly confused on the pantheons now.