PDA

View Full Version : Speculation D&D 5e - Template vs Unique Monster

DragonSorcererX
2016-10-29, 06:34 PM
So, as we all know templates were a 3.0/3.5 thing, and they found their way on both 4e and 5e. From what I know, templates didn't exist on the AD&D's (at least on the Core), the monsters were unique, a Lich was a Lich and a Death Knight was a Death Knight, we didn't have the templates to make Bard Liches and Half-Fiend Squirrels, instead, we had unique monsters with a cool fluff. So, the question is, do you prefer unique monsters with a cool fluff or templates that you can apply and make Draconic Half-Dragon Dragons?

I vote for template, the more variation the better!

Asmotherion
2016-10-29, 06:48 PM
So, as we all know templates were a 3.0/3.5 thing, and they found their way on both 4e and 5e. From what I know, templates didn't exist on the AD&D's (at least on the Core), the monsters were unique, a Lich was a Lich and a Death Knight was a Death Knight, we didn't have the templates to make Bard Liches and Half-Fiend Squirrels, instead, we had unique monsters with a cool fluff. So, the question is, do you prefer unique monsters with a cool fluff or templates that you can apply and make Draconic Half-Dragon Dragons?

I vote for template, the more variation the better!

I second that. As a matter of fact, the only things I ever homebrew are templates (not necesseraly aplicable to PCs though), as I want to keep my campains as Raw as possible.

PS: That's a lie. I also homebrew (magic or otherwise) items.

MrStabby
2016-10-29, 07:04 PM
I like both.

I usually DM so I don't have any problems just creating what I want with the abilities i want, however I do think that consistency can help with immersion in a world. With this in mind, I would like experience adventurers who have come across "templated" creatures to be able to abstract from the template to be able to determine what features another template might have.

For example they fight zombie humans and find they return to their feet often, unless hit with radiant damage. If later they come across a zombie mammoth I want it to be reasonable to expect the same.

A template in this regard helps guide consistency.

Previously I have also run games allowing the PCs to take templates as well (a long time ago in 3rd ed) so, in the right campaign, it can be a useful character building tool.

Nifft
2016-10-29, 07:55 PM
I'm not really seeing the distinction.

Templates are a way to create unique monsters for a specific campaign.

It's only in theoretical optimization that one can assume access to -- or even existence of -- all published templates.

So, yeah -- bring on the templates. Make them mechanically sound, and let me use them sparingly to spice up my own world. I'll probably change the flavor text, so don't work too hard on that. Just give me solid mechanics with which to surprise my players.