PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Paladin stats

ZZTRaider
2016-10-29, 08:43 PM
I'm making a Half-Elven Oath of the Ancients Paladin, and we were given the ability to roll stats and choose between our rolls or the standard array.

My rolls were 17, 14, 12, 11, 11, 10.

I'm really not sure if that's actually better or worse than the standard array and whether to prioritise strength or charisma if I went with it.

If it makes a difference, there will be at least one other character likely to have a strength focus.

Gastronomie
2016-10-29, 08:49 PM
Not bad rolls at all, if it were another class. That said, for Paladins, I think you can go point-buy if you want. Paladins want good stats in their attacking score (for attacks, duh), CON (tankiness+concentration), and CHA(Aura of Protection nuff' said).

If you are not later planning on a multiclass, S&B DEX is the best option IMO, especially if there is already another character relying on STR. Max out DEX, dump STR and INT. For that stat array it would be 10-18-15-11-11-14. Later use Resilient (CON) or something to improve your CON to 16. And also an ASI to get your CHA to 16.

Or alternatively, go point-buy for 8-15-15-8-10-14, which becomes 8-16-16-8-10-16 with racial bonuses.

Either works.

(If you want to go with Great Weapon Master, go STR and use the rolled stats. Well, for GWM, optimization-wise Devotion is the best oath, but that's another matter...)

JellyPooga
2016-10-29, 09:14 PM
Looks like a pretty solid Dexadin array to me.

Str: 10
Dex: 17+1
Con: 11+1
Int: 11
Wis: 12
Cha: 14+2

I'd go for Athletics, Acrobatics, Nature, Perception, Stealth and Survival for skills if you can wrangle that between Race, Background and Class.

I'd be tempted to take stealth or scouting related Feats; Alert, Observant, Skulker...you could even spring for Sharpshooter to compensate your otherwise relatively weak ranged capability.

Be the woodsman, the not-a-Ranger-but-damned-if-I-can-tell-the-difference, wear light armour, wield a bow and your wits as much as your blade; be Aragorn instead of "just" Strider.

ZZTRaider
2016-10-29, 10:02 PM
Hah, so, some of the other players rolled really well, so the DM let me and one other player reroll.

The rerolls gave me 16, 15, 14, 14, 12, 9.

It's really high, but well in line with everyone else at this point.

Strength based fits my vision for this character, so I'm thinking something like this:
15+1, 9, 14+1, 12, 14, 16+2

Rysto
2016-10-29, 11:06 PM
Your new stat distribution looks good for a STR build. Having an odd Con potentially sets you up to take Resilient (Con) down the road, although you'll probably wind up pumping Str and Cha first.

djreynolds
2016-10-30, 01:08 AM
Hah, so, some of the other players rolled really well, so the DM let me and one other player reroll.

The rerolls gave me 16, 15, 14, 14, 12, 9.

It's really high, but well in line with everyone else at this point.

Strength based fits my vision for this character, so I'm thinking something like this:
15+1, 9, 14+1, 12, 14, 16+2

Your new stat distribution looks good for a STR build. Having an odd Con potentially sets you up to take Resilient (Con) down the road, although you'll probably wind up pumping Str and Cha first.

These are good rolls, and I would take resilient con at some point. Con and wisdom saves will take you out of the fight.

You have 5 feats/ASI, 2 for strength,1 for charisma, and 2 for whatever.

You could take resilient con... later, like 16th.

And an 18 in charisma will carry you for a long time. You could leave it there.