PDA

View Full Version : Is this a believable halfling paladin?

Zhentarim
2016-10-29, 10:36 PM
After bouncing around several concepts, I decided to go with a Paladin (Divine Hunter)//Ranger (Divine Marksman). Backstory-wise, I am thinking I can be a Halfling from Ravengro who wears many hats, but who is a devout follower of Erastil.

Code:

Backstory:

Wyssal Pressi is fairly new to town, having moved there only a couple of years ago after having tagged along with a caravan of assorted adventurers. When she reached the settlement of Ravengro, however, she bid her small caravan farewell, making sure all was in order before she decided to begin a more settled life. With that taken care of, she said a brief benediction to Erastil, wishing her former travel companions well.

She had been traveling with them for weeks after her tiny village in the Hold of Belkzen was sacked by Orcs. After making sure the children of the village were hidden, she had fought bravely, but the orcs prevailed. She was the last to retreat, being sure to defend the people of her community with arrows for as long as she could. She managed to down many orcs, but there are only so many arrows one can fire, however, and she soon ran out. Hoping to lead the Orcs that might have followed her away from her friends and away from where the children were hidden, she called to them in a shrill "Over here, big brutes! Come and get me!"After the leader of the raid hit her with a sap in a knock-out blow, the next thing she remembered was waking up with an assortment of people around her--an elf, a human, a dwarf, and another halfing.

They explained they ran a caravan and saw the smoke, and dropped everything so they could get their as fast as they could. As very experienced adventurers, they said, they knew where there was smoke, there was fire. They said they got there just in time to see Wyssal slung over a large Orc's shoulder and the town abandoned and burning. The elf, who was a wizard, cast a number of spells, and the halfling, who was not only also a follower of Erastil, but also a paladin, fought bravely. The caravan defeated the rest of the orcs and rescued Wyssal from certain death.

After she recounted her tale, the paladin told her that he could not have done better himself, and promised to tell her all he knew, since he could see in her a younger version of himself. Wyssal immediately asked about the children, and the Paladin told her that the human, who was a druid, found them and reunited them with the fleeing villagers. Relieved, Wyssal listened to the paladin as they traveled, picking up the basics of the Code of Erastil as well as working with him to practice archery. He also gave her special tips for fighting undead, as the group was due to pass through Ustalav, soon.

It was at that point that they came upon Ravengro, and wanting to spread the teachings of Erastil as well as start her own story, she departed. It wasn't long after she settled in Ravengro that she met the forge master and asked to apprentice under him. Agreeing, she got her first job in Ravengro as an apprentice blacksmith. This was different than what she was used to, as she was a farmer in her old village, but she caught on fast enough. Unfortunately, her boss did not have an extra bed there. She decided to look elsewhere for a bed.

Though she was disappointed that the only temple in town was to Pharasma, she still tried to ask for lodging there. In exchange for working the fields, they gave her a place to rest her head. This was not enough for the hard-working Wyssal, however, as she also volunteered to be the 1st shift nightguard for Ravengro. She often was lucky to get 4 hours of sleep in a night.

With a deep need to be a friend to all basically good people, she has finally made herself known on some level to everybody in the village, it wasn't long before she promised the professor a helping hand in an effort to be liked by him, as well. The professor initially turned her down, but said he would let her know if he needed anything. It wasn't long afterwards that Wyssal found herself in need of assistance of a magical kind, as her hectic schedule providing for the community was wearing her out and though she had not yet helped him, he offered to aid her free of charge. He did say at that point, however, that she now owed him a favor.

The thought that she was in debt to the professor filled Wyssal with great anxiety, since she did not like having debts unpaid, and it filled her with fear that she may lose her connection to Erastil if she did not or could not properly repay the debt soon. After the professor died, she felt the need to make good on her promise to help him if he needed anything, since she assumed he would have cashed in on her offer at this point because the circumstances of the man's death were suspicious. When she learned that the professor explicitly named her in his will, however, the anxiety returned. She hoped she could do what he expected, because she knew Erastil was watching her closely.

Trait: Making Good on Promises
Link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=992873

Did I make an alright backstory?

(Note, this is a Gestalt Game, so I threw in a nod to the ranger half...)

TheCorsairMalac
2016-10-29, 11:45 PM
Yeah, she sounds like a believable character. A brave halfling, plagued by orcs, rescued and trained by a paladin. The list of things she did in Ravengro is perhaps a little long. Did she ever sleep? She worked the fields at day, the forge in the evening, and was a volunteer guard at night. Then she felt inclined to promise to help the professor?

Honestly, rather than making her schedule more reasonable, consider playing her as a sleep-deprived workaholic. I like the thought of this paladin frequently taking fatigue penalties because she doesn't know when to call it a day.

P.S. Paragraphs dude. People are skipping your thread because it's hard to read your backstory. Split it up into multiple paragraphs.

Zhentarim
2016-10-29, 11:49 PM
Yeah, she sounds like a believable character. A brave halfling, plagued by orcs, rescued and trained by a paladin. The list of things she did in Ravengro is perhaps a little long. Did she ever sleep? She worked the fields at day, the forge in the evening, and was a volunteer guard at night. Then she felt inclined to promise to help the professor?

Honestly, rather than making her schedule more reasonable, consider playing her as a sleep-deprived workaholic. I like the thought of this paladin frequently taking fatigue penalties because she doesn't know when to call it a day.

P.S. Paragraphs dude. People are skipping your thread because it's hard to read your backstory. Split it up into multiple paragraphs.

I will do that. I kinda did it all in one go, at first, anyway.

Geddy2112
2016-10-30, 12:36 AM
Erastil works well with the Halfling sense of community and tradition, although as is his doctrine and faith is probably considered a bit hardass about such matters, like your grumpy old grandpa you respect. Since your character was already predisposed to his philosophy, you fit it well. I like the idea you matched a paladin of his and merged with the faith.

I don't think divine hunter is good for more than a dip, unless your entire party is ranged martials. You can still praise Erastil as a vanilla paladin, and that would allow you to drop the fear resistance traits for something better.

I think your character was a follower of Erastil(protected the children first, then went to ranged combat) before even knowing it, and you are a true believer of the koolaid. I have always thought that gibbs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leroy_Jethro_Gibbs) from NCIS is the best paladin of Erastil going, if you need further inspiration.