PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Increasing Caster level in E6

Blackhawk748
2016-10-29, 10:42 PM
How high can we get Caster Level in E6? I mean you full normal Caster Level not just in a specific circumstance, EX on fire spells or something. Im curious because CL is the primary limiter on things like Metamagic rods.

Anthrowhale
2016-10-29, 10:50 PM
As a starting point, caster level 20 is possible with the 'circle magic' feat from Ghostwalk.

prufock
2016-10-30, 03:45 PM
As a starting point, caster level 20 is possible with the 'circle magic' feat from Ghostwalk.

I don't know if circle magic falls into the "not just in a specific circumstance" limiter.

A shooting star ranger 4/wizard 2 can get up to 20 with Sword of the Arcane Order, an ioun stone (applies to both), Practiced Spellcaster (once for each class), and Create Magic Tattoo (you have to scribe a scroll of it using a scroll of it, but that seems to work by RAW, as your caster level will be 13+ before you do this). A little pricey, as the ioun stone is 30K gp.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444635-Raising-Caster-Level) is a list of limited boosts, but I don't think they'll apply to selecting feats and crafting things, for the most part. Still, do you need any higher than 20?

Blackhawk748
2016-10-30, 03:59 PM
I don't know if circle magic falls into the "not just in a specific circumstance" limiter.

No it passes, as its an actual CL increase not just one for, say, Fire spells. Mostly we where curious for Item crafting purposes.

A shooting star ranger 4/wizard 2 can get up to 20 with Sword of the Arcane Order, an ioun stone (applies to both), Practiced Spellcaster (once for each class), and Create Magic Tattoo (you have to scribe a scroll of it using a scroll of it, but that seems to work by RAW, as your caster level will be 13+ before you do this). A little pricey, as the ioun stone is 30K gp.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444635-Raising-Caster-Level) is a list of limited boosts, but I don't think they'll apply to selecting feats and crafting things, for the most part. Still, do you need any higher than 20?

Ok, so Orange Ioun Stone i get, I also get the Practiced Spellcaster, but why Create Magic Tatoo?

Venger
2016-10-30, 04:49 PM
because create magic tattoo also boosts your caster level

Troacctid
2016-10-30, 04:52 PM
Something something Phrenic, something something Psiotheurgist

Blackhawk748
2016-10-30, 05:00 PM
because create magic tattoo also boosts your caster level

Ah i see now, i didnt realize it was a spell.

prufock
2016-10-30, 07:32 PM
No it passes, as its an actual CL increase not just one for, say, Fire spells. Mostly we where curious for Item crafting purposes.
Fair enough. I'm not 100% clear on the RAW for this. It says "for all level-based variables of ... spells." I don't know if this applies to item crafting.

To clarify, Create Magic Tattoo is a sor/wiz 2 spell that, if your caster level is 13+, can be used to give you +1 CL for 24 hours. Costs 100 gp each time, though. As long as your CL is 13+ before you scribe a scroll of it (for which you'll be using a lower-CL scroll of same), you can set the CL to 13 when you scribe it. This method is tedious and eventually costly though.

Something something Phrenic, something something Psiotheurgist
Note this is only one school of magic for each time you take the feat, not your flat CL.

Cerefel
2016-10-30, 09:00 PM
There's Artificer which has +2 effective CL for item prereqs