PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Blackhawk748's awesome Great Pumpkin module, could use some guidance.

SouthpawSoldier
2016-10-30, 12:34 AM
If you're reading this Blackhawk, your PM inbox is full.

A long time ago, Blackhawk748 wrote this gem: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379253-Helloween-(a-quest)

I'm working on adapting it for a game at my FLGS, and could use some help.

My intent is for 4th level PC's; advanced enough players have some options, but low enough that I can still manage as a neophyte DM.

I've thought about making Lucy a variation of a Knowledge Cleric, and the Great Pumpkin a Shambling Mound. Beyond that, it's a little tricky.

Tra'elki would be an Awakened Tree, instead of a Treant.

Linus would be either a Necromancer as writen, or maybe a Death Cleric, or an Evil Nature Cleric.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Blackhawk748
2016-10-30, 04:53 PM
I fixed my Inbox, didnt realize it counted Stored Messages with my normal Inbox. Anywho lets see what we got.

My intent is for 4th level PC's; advanced enough players have some options, but low enough that I can still manage as a neophyte DM.

That shouldn't be an issue, mostly cuz i dont have a ton of actual things statted :smalltongue:

I've thought about making Lucy a variation of a Knowledge Cleric, and the Great Pumpkin a Shambling Mound. Beyond that, it's a little tricky.

I didnt actually give Lucy levels, mostly cuz she is just there to start the quest, though if you've got an idea for her to do more go nuts.

As for the Pumpkin, a Shambling Mound should work, though i would personally make it bigger.

Tra'elki would be an Awakened Tree, instead of a Treant.

When i ran this (using the Giant Plant Squid :smalltongue:) Tra'elki just tanked a few hits from the Pumpkin while the party totally face rolled Linus and his Twig Blights. As long as the Tree is about on par (maybe even a bit less) than the pumpkin you should be fine.

In any event have fun with this. I loved running it mostly because it was so goofy.

SouthpawSoldier
2016-10-30, 07:21 PM
Well, Shambling Mound/Pumpkin is CR5. Perfect for 4th level PCs to take on with help, though Linus ramps up the difficulty.

Treants are CR9; easily mop the floor vs a Shambling Mound.

Awakened Tree CR2.

Ace as a Winter Wolf is CR3.

The Ghost of Charles is CR4, but may largely ineffective if I do the Pumpkin as Undead.

Either way, I have to tune the encounter difficulty. I was thinking of incorporating my Ettin obsession. Instead of a Tendriculos, Marcy/Patty as an Ettin in the woods, and the PCs manipulate Patty's infatuation with Charles to make her an ally for the fight.

With Ettins being CR4, that pits a CR2, a CR3, and 2 CR4 monsters against the CR5 Pumpkin. Instead of Linus being on par with the PCs, I could do him up as a CR3 caster (thematically, Warlock or Cleric of Nature or Death fits just as well as the original Necromancer).

Figure allies occupy the Pumkin while PCs take on Linus. Providing they drop Linus, they'll be softened up some, but still able to finish off the Pumkin, especially if the allies can land some hits on it.

After all is said and done, Charles finds peace and can go on to the next plane, while the Ettin adopts Ace and promises to help the villiage.

Works well for Patty's personality too; meaning well, but oafish and a bit clueless.