PDA

View Full Version : Monk question and wish question

Lance Tankmen
2016-10-30, 01:22 AM
With monks bonus attack with one unarmed strike do they get the modifier? I assume not but want to be 100% on it. With you use the wish spell for resistance is it permanent?

djreynolds
2016-10-30, 01:48 AM
A monk gets his ability modifier for all attacks with unarmed strikes and monk weapons (simple).

He doesn't need the TWF style like a dual weapon ranger would even with flurry of blows.

I would assume resistance granted by a wish spell is permanent, but I would go to the RAW section of the Forum or sage advice for that

Lance Tankmen
2016-10-30, 03:26 AM
Any chance you have the pg number where it states monks get their ability modifier for off hand attack and their bonus action unarmed strike or is it just a context worded in such a way to allow it ? Because I can't find it.

djreynolds
2016-10-30, 03:44 AM
I hope this help, as I have had this question as well in the past

June 13, 2016Zoltar

@JeremyECrawford do the bonus action attacks from Martial Arts and Flurry of Blows add modifier to dmg? Or are they like 2-weapon fighting?

— The Spicy Keychain (@OakForTheVines) April 28, 2016

Jeremy Crawford ‎@JeremyECrawford

When making a weapon attack, you add your ability modifier to the damage, unless a feature tells you not to. #DnD https://twitter.com/OakForTheVines/status/725516515475263488 …

Its page 72, and your unarmed strike is not an off hand attack, neither is your FOB.

If you hit with an unarmed strike or simple weapon, you make an unarmed strike as a bonus action if you have one. It could be a kick or head butt, its an unarmed strike.

Now if you used a short sword, say its magical, and you had a twin magical short sword... that off hand strike would not get the ability modifier to damage unless you had the TWF style.

But if you are using a simple weapon or unarmed strike and hit, you can use your bonus action immediately to make an unarmed strike or spend a KI point for Flurry of Blows and make 2 unarmed strikes.

For monk/rogue combo....

You unarmed strike count as melee weapon attacks but even though you can use dexterity for both attack and damage... they are not finesse weapons and do not qualify as for a sneak attack, neither would a spear or club even though you can use them with dexterity. But a short sword and dagger do since they are simple finesse weapons.

Sneak Attack works with Martial Arts if the rogue/monk uses a monk weapon that qualifies for Sneak Attack. #DnD https://twitter.com/AkivaDaphydd/status/684769136422051840 …

PeteNutButter
2016-10-30, 08:35 AM
djreynolds covered the monk question well.

As for wish anything that does not say a duration, follows the duration of the spell which is Instantaneous.

Instant = permanent and can't even be dispelled.

It is a very good use of the wish spell, to gradually give the party permanent resistance to every type of damage. But then there's that pesky 33% chance to worry about. Damn you game balance, even on the Wish spell.