PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Game - Mobs?

dartanous
2016-10-30, 11:07 AM
I am playing in a MHR game, and I realized one thing when making mobs - the rules isn't really that clear to me how to make it.
If I have a normal gangster, I know I can give affiliations of d4, d6 & d8, one power trait (usually 'gun' or 'knife' at d6, is what I do for thugs) and one specialty. The specialty is pretty much the 'combat die', as they use that for fighting. So a normal gangster would use 2d6 (power and specialty), and let's say a d8 if the affiliation is right.
Let's say he looks like this:
Gangster Rookie: d6
Solo d8, Buddy d4, Team d6
Street Weapon: d6

How do I do if I make a whole group of them? Let's say I want to make 3d6... Is it the 'specialty' gangster die that get's 3d6, or the team die?
And if so, should I make it 3d8 if the specialty OR the team affiliation dice would be higher? Then I get it to
Gangster Rookie: d6
Team 3d8 (assuming he had a d8 originally, unlike the example above)
Street Weapon: d6

This latest example is what I think is the correct one, but it bothers me in two ways:
1) he stresses out on a d10, since his team die is d8. But when a specialty character is alone, it is his specialty die that determines when he stresses out, not his affiliation die.
2) If I want a group of highly trained hand ninjas with a specialty rating of d10, they would still stress out really easily if their team rating for some reason would be low?

I would like some clarification on this. I do know that if they stress out, what really happens is that their team rating goes down by one die, and then they're uninjured. But it bothers me that they use their specialty rating when alone, and affiliation rating when in a group. Am I missing something here, or should I just do it that way and not let it bother me?

Brawndo
2016-10-30, 10:30 PM
I think the part that's causing confusion is that Mobs don't actually have specialty dice. They don't turn into a single character when all the extra affiliation dice are gone. If you look in the basic rulebook on page BR14, the mob listed there only has the Team dice, some Distinctions, and a Power Set.

CarpeGuitarrem
2016-11-01, 09:00 AM
I think the part that's causing confusion is that Mobs don't actually have specialty dice. They don't turn into a single character when all the extra affiliation dice are gone. If you look in the basic rulebook on page BR14, the mob listed there only has the Team dice, some Distinctions, and a Power Set.
Yeah, there's definitely some overthinking going on here. Mobs just need to be statted up individually. This also lets you give them unique powersets that they might only have access to as a mob.

But yeah, stat up mobs and stat up individual characters separately, as appropriate. MHR isn't too strict on statting-up.

dartanous
2016-11-07, 10:27 AM
Ah, thanks to both of you. Now I understand^^