PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Why Arcane Focus and Component Pouch?

Yora
2016-10-30, 11:29 AM
Why do arcane focus and component pouch exist as items? They don't seem to do anything, you just need to have them. Is it so that you can have the players tryin to find individual components when they lose them?

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-10-30, 11:38 AM
To my knowledge, they are a sacred cow. They exist as a legacy item of traditional D&D mechanics.

I only mostly kid. It's a way to also have the spellcasters hamstrung when captured, much like stealing the Wizard's spellbook of old.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-30, 11:50 AM
Mhm. It's pretty much treated as part of the fluff now. Technically, if a spell specifies a component with a gp value, you have to use that component and therefore can't cast it with just a generic focus - which is probably why component pouches are more expensive than foci. Also, a lot of people allow foci that don't need a free hand, such as necklaces and emblazoned shields, whereas you can't get away from that with actual material components.

Still though, I've never seen it come up in a real game.

DivisibleByZero
2016-10-30, 11:58 AM
You need to have a free hand for the somatic and material components. You need to actually have the components listed or you can't cast the spell. Many games ignore this, but those are the rules.
Foci exist so that there is an in game reason to allow ignoring those rules most of the time.... while still following said rules, and still allowing the possibility for the DM to create circumstances where casting might be hindered via losing your components.
Foci create a situation where everyone wins. Players generally don't need to worry about components, while DMs can still create those situations where it matters if they want to.

If you have a focus in hand, you can use that instead unless the material component has a cost.
If you have a component pouch, you can also use that instead, which is good for multiclass casters that would theoretically need two different foci.

Mith
2016-10-30, 12:05 PM
While I do not have the "priced" spells memorized, my ruling on other spells is that they are put together at the beginning of the day with whatever the caster has lying around. Because variability is inherent to the spell preparation and casting, it is a fluff reason why spell damage varies.

For the most part, I think you can wave away most of the component costs. I would probably keep some for classics like Raise Dead/Resurrection/True Resurrection, as well of any crafting like Simulacrum, but day to day damage and utility spells it can be ignored IMO.

ruy343
2016-10-30, 12:10 PM
Personally, I have enjoyed playing a wizard and narrating all the strange things he would do to cast a spell (pulling out a pinch of butter to cast Grease, for example). I think that the arcane focus and spell pouch exist for players who want to have the option of making their casting more flavorful, but most groups choose not to worry about it. I've never had a group care about material components on spells before unless it was a consumable cost, and even then, I've never had a DM restrict access to those components: often he would just have me deduct the gold cost from my reserves, and we'd move on with life (since keeping track of resources gets in the way of the fun for our group).

Vogonjeltz
2016-10-30, 03:09 PM
Why do arcane focus and component pouch exist as items? They don't seem to do anything, you just need to have them. Is it so that you can have the players tryin to find individual components when they lose them?

They provide different methods for different classes to fulfill the material (non costly) component to spellcasting without lugging around, for example, a trunk full of dried bat guano and acorns or whatever.

It also provides a mechanical method for a character to deprive a spell caster of the ability to cast some of their more complex abilities.

Ie disarm their wand and now they have to go scrambling for it.

JAL_1138
2016-10-30, 03:30 PM
A component pouch is a way to make a damage-dealing Bard using a bow, crossbow or polearm a bit less silly (besides Warcaster), when otherwise they'd be trying to juggle both playing an instrument (most of which require two hands to plausibly play well) and attacking things with a weapon (in the same turn, in the case of a higher-level Valor Bard).

Squiddish
2016-10-30, 06:08 PM
The non-consumed, non-valued components exist as fluff, and the component pouches and spell foci exist so that spellcasters don't have to spend an inordinate amount of time gathering said components. The reason for the distinction is that a spell focus leads to a greater level of simplicity while a material pouch is more versatile (you can carry valued/consumed components or even other stuff)

Gignere
2016-10-30, 06:36 PM
I carry both and spares of both in my packs. So no matter what I can usually cast and it preempts the DM from targeting my arcane focus or component pouch since he knows I have spares and backups.

As to why, this is just D+D spell casting's schtick. Other games don't have components or focus rules. But if you same material components then I know you are talking about D+D spell casting.

Joe the Rat
2016-10-30, 08:30 PM
Simplest interpretation: It's the arcane holy symbol. You have one thing you need to hold to cast spells. Like a Cleric.

This lets you be less sympathetic magic and pocket fluff, and more Gandalf ( or Dumbledore) with your fancy casting stick.

bardo
2016-10-30, 10:48 PM
A brief history of Material Components.

Material components are kind of an old joke. Many of them suggest maybe the caster is producing the effect by mundane (or scientific) means rather than by magic. Rubbing fur on a crystal rod hints at creating static electricity, Lightning Bolt. Mixing bat guano with sulfur hints at creating gunpowder, Fireball. A strip of white cloth (and in previous editions a sticky substance) hints at applying a bandage, Aid. The list goes on.

M components are in the game because they are lore, just like beholders and owlbears. At the same time, the impact of M components on the game itself is steadily declining.

Up to and including 2nd Edition casters had to constantly gather materials because casting a spell consumed the materials. Casters had to keep track of how many live spiders have left, and sometimes take quests just to obtain spell components because you won't find black dragon blood at any olde shoppe.

3rd Edition introduced the spell component pouch which, as far as mundane components go, is "assumed to have all the material components needed". It gets a little strange because M components are still consumed by casting the spell. But we don't ask exactly how many live spiders are there in that spell component pouch. There are enough. Some DMs would require you buy a "refill" for your spell component pouch periodically which made sense because that pouch probably gets very stinky.

In D&D 5th Edition spells with M components were revised. The spider doesn't have to be alive anymore, and you only need the one spider because M components are no longer consumed (unless noted otherwise). Buy the pouch or a focus and forget about mundane (no cost listed) M components.

Right now we're at point where M components have pretty much zero effect on the game. We still want M components in the game for lore, but we don't want to reintroduce all that book-keeping. So it's awkward. You have to know the history of it to appreciate it. It's possible for a DM to take the players' foci and component pouches and say you can't cast that M spell, go find a spider. I think for old-timers that would be a good laugh. Once.

Bardo.

p.s. Bards have perfectly serviceable spellcasting foci in horns and pan flutes worn around their necks, drums strapped to their belts, and other instruments that can be played one-handed. It might not be the Bard's favorite instrument, but it's more stylish than a component pouch. Rangers, Arcane Tricksters, and Eldritch Knights are the ones who sadly have no option for a spellcasting focus.

beargryllz
2016-10-30, 11:10 PM
They're important for action economy balance

Lose them and you're directly buffing any magic user with houserules

Play it however you want. It's your game

Hawkstar
2016-10-30, 11:26 PM
They're simply flavor to try and capture the feel of a wizard using a wand or staff to cast spells, or a sympathetic mage to gather all sorts of esoteric ingredients for casting spells.

While Bardo says they're a 'joke', doing so completely undermines the pre-D&D understanding of magic, and its sympathetic nature. Games have reduced magic from "The all-ecompassing interconnection between everything and everything else that can be manipulated by those who understand on a spiritual and intellectual nature how those connections work" to "A battery of 'energy' that lets you do 'stuff' via made-up pseudoscience". I blame sciencism for this decline.

Yes, D&D's components were a joke, because they're made up by some dudes in a basement wanting to play a game. But the idea of small objects being able to be manipulated to cause greater effects on the world (Such as poking a small effigy of a person with a needle to bring harm to them) is an ancient belief in magic that pre-dates our concept of magic as a made-up unreality.

mephnick
2016-10-31, 12:46 AM
They're important for action economy balance

Lose them and you're directly buffing any magic user with houserules

Play it however you want. It's your game

How much does it actually buff casters to not require spell compnents really? Even the restriction on free hands for somatic components seems nitpicky to me. Does it really mess up class balance enough to justify the rule?

Socratov
2016-10-31, 03:21 AM
A component pouch is a way to make a damage-dealing Bard using a bow, crossbow or polearm a bit less silly (besides Warcaster), when otherwise they'd be trying to juggle both playing an instrument (most of which require two hands to plausibly play well) and attacking things with a weapon (in the same turn, in the case of a higher-level Valor Bard).

Eh, you just need to hold them as they are your focus, it's never said that you need to play it.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-31, 04:01 AM
You need to have a free hand for the somatic and material components. You need to actually have the components listed or you can't cast the spell. Many games ignore this, but those are the rules.
Foci exist so that there is an in game reason to allow ignoring those rules most of the time.... while still following said rules, and still allowing the possibility for the DM to create circumstances where casting might be hindered via losing your components.
Foci create a situation where everyone wins. Players generally don't need to worry about components, while DMs can still create those situations where it matters if they want to.

If you have a focus in hand, you can use that instead unless the material component has a cost.
If you have a component pouch, you can also use that instead, which is good for multiclass casters that would theoretically need two different foci.BDZ sums it up well they're a convenient alternative when components are cheap. For me a component pouches are pot-pourrit of all the material components a spellcaster needs to cast spells, only high valued one being notewhorthy while the rest is assumed to be found somewhere in there.

Also Arcane Focus can exist to support Gandalf & Harry Potter fans wish by allowing spellcasting while welding wands and staff only!

Arkhios
2016-10-31, 04:08 AM
I've actually stumbled upon in needing Spell Component pouch instead of an arcane focus. It was mostly an accident from my part, but it does affect the game as is.

I took Magic Initiate (bard) as paladin in a short-lived campaign, and didn't actually pay much attention to the spell components of each spells I chose (which were mostly from fluff-perspective). When the game started, I realized that while these spells have material components (of irrelevant value), as a Paladin I couldn't cast them without being able to use Bard's Spellcasting foci (because I didn't have the class feature that would say I can - proficiency to an instrument doesn't make you "proficient" with using those instruments as foci), and I lacked the component pouch because as a paladin my spellcasting foci would've been holy symbols - Not interchangeable with all spells, only usable for my paladin spells. So, for a while, until I could buy a component pouch, I couldn't use even the bard cantrips I had chosen, because they required material components which I didn't have.

To use a spellcasting focus, you do not only need the specific foci, but you also need the class feature that says you can use such an item as a spellcasting focus for that class (some classes do share same foci, though)

Breaklance
2016-10-31, 06:53 AM
How much does it actually buff casters to not require spell compnents really? Even the restriction on free hands for somatic components seems nitpicky to me. Does it really mess up class balance enough to justify the rule?

Some of the most powerful spells have components with significant gp cost and even more powerful ones use up those expensive materials, this effectively scales a magic classes gp cost similar to a martial class who would need magic items to be effective at higher levels. Otherwise you'd end up with super rich wizards creating simalcrums for free and broke fighters who really needed that silvered longsword to keep stabbing things.

My games have always approached both foci and components rather simply. If it's something basic, as in it does not specify you need something with a gold cost, it is in your component pouch. If you have your foci on your person it counts for casting. That is because of how your foci could be a shield with a symbol on it or a necklace but others have to have an instrument or a staff. That way it's universal, everyone interacts with their foci the same, your touching it but not necessarily wielding it.

This has only really ever been an issue for two reasons: dual wielding or using a two handed weapon and costing something with a somatic aspect - which you can't do dual wielding and cast and if using a two handed weapon you can't attack with that weapon at all if you cast a spell and vice versa - you need to have at least one free hand to cast and and interact with materials. The other reason being capture. If you get captured and surrender all your stuff magic classes should be as handicapped as a martial class without their weapons and armor.

mgshamster
2016-10-31, 07:09 AM

Back in the day, you actually had to track your individual components. It seemed like an odd way to balance the classes - you get the most powerful class, but it also requires the most work to play as a player. But it worked. I knew quite a few people who didn't want the hassle of tracking all thag crap and never played casters.

It's just been trimmed down to what we have today. And while it still does require a little bit of thought, it's still considered a minor balancing point. You get the most powerful abilities in the game, and you have to think about ensuring you have the equipment and free hands to be able to use them.

It's also a point of weakness for a caster - components and foci are things that can be taken away, broken, or lost.

Casters are already the most powerful classes in the game - why make them even more so by taking away spell components?

Heck, this very thing came up in game last night, as my players have been looking forward to casting greater restoration for some time and finally got to level 9 - only to realize that they didn't have the components for it.

tieren
2016-10-31, 08:36 AM
I remember my 2e druid having to leave the caravan we were guarding at night to go collect herbs in the forest by moonlight for some of his spells (i think specifically it was mistletoe).

I liked the baked in motivations to go investigate things and look for stuff you needed and occasionally as the quest hook to go get more of the stuff required for that spell.

In limited scenarios it could also be an interesting aspect to survival type campaigns (I only have enough of x stuff to cast y spell z more times, I hope we get out of these caverns soon).

Socratov
2016-10-31, 01:33 PM
I remember my 2e druid having to leave the caravan we were guarding at night to go collect herbs in the forest by moonlight for some of his spells (i think specifically it was mistletoe).

I liked the baked in motivations to go investigate things and look for stuff you needed and occasionally as the quest hook to go get more of the stuff required for that spell.

In limited scenarios it could also be an interesting aspect to survival type campaigns (I only have enough of x stuff to cast y spell z more times, I hope we get out of these caverns soon).

I find this heavily relies on the group. some groups will think it's cool to break the flow of hte quest to go look for components A through Z, and for serious spells (and serious ingredients) this will be a lot of fun, but I can understand the group eventually goind "yeah, yeah, you go look for stuff to cast with, find some, moving on!". Once it becomes a daily mundane activity (like preapring yoru spells form your spellbook), it should, for story purposes be glossed over and to get to the plot. (Unless you roleplay what spell you are preparing in what order while leafing through a prop tome. It might seem immersive at first, but soon it will turn into a gimmick and after that the next stop is drudgery.

tis changes once it becomes a race agianst time or a survival campaign...

Baptor
2016-10-31, 01:38 PM

The way I see it, the "component pouch" covers all the incidental components of many spells: candles, beeswax, guano, charcoal, and the like. if you want to be a bit more Harry Potter, you can use a special wand instead made of enchanted wood with a unicorn hair core. If you want to be more Tolkien, you can carry a special staff. Basically, a mage needs a little something to work with magic. Something that can be taken away for dramatic or story purposes.

As far as other components with a gp value, most of them aren't consumed by the spell and need be purchased only once. For the ones that do get consumed, I hand waive it so that players can just subtract the appropriate amount of gp when they cast it. Hunting and shopping for components is a mini-game we don't like to play.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-31, 03:11 PM
Leaving aside the sacred cows, it's so that you can disarm a wizard like you can disarm a fighter. That's about it, I think. You can freely ignore non-priced material components if you don't care about that part-- that's how I generally play it.

Forcing players to scrounge for generic material components is, generally, a Bad Idea(tm). In fact, it's the Bad Idea(tm) that coined Grod's Law in my signature. It doesn't really hamper the power of the spells so much as make spellcasters irritating to play. Which, in turn, means making good players miserable (because they can't do the thing they signed up for easily), and giving disruptive players an excuse to hog the spotlight and generally be obnoxious. If you want questing for components to be a thing, I'd introduce something like 3.5's Metamagic Components (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/metamagicComponents.htm), where successfully scavenging a Rare Magical Component(tm) means some sort of added bonus. Maybe it makes a spell do more damage, or lets you cast a spell that would normally be too high a level, or it lets a spell affect extra targets, or last for longer, or work without concentration. Something like that; something rare and powerful and, basically, a consumable magic item treasure.

mephnick
2016-10-31, 03:37 PM
Most of the spells with pricey components come at a time where money is generally pointless though, if you go by the DMG hoards, so I'm not sure that's even a balancing factor.

Tanarii
2016-10-31, 03:53 PM
They exist because M components are a pain in the ass to track.

M components exist because, as many others have said, are sacred cows. I use the term not as a pejorative. When it comes to D&D I *like* sacred cows, until some does the same thing but in a better way. Good examples of that are Thac0 --> bonus to attack rolls, and (in logistics light tracking games) Component Pouches for all normal M components.

Also, I always recommend anyone that's going to play with multiple DMs (ie in AL) always choose a component pouch. RAW says you just need a free hand to access either when casting a spell, which means no additional object interaction needed. Despite that, for some reason DMs seem to want to rule that foci require object interactions to take out and put away, but don't usually rule the same for accessing a component pouch with your free hand.

N810
2016-10-31, 03:57 PM
Well our Wizard got his book stolen and blew up his focus (long story),
and I'm sure he is going to be super useful for the rest of the fight.

georgie_leech
2016-10-31, 04:16 PM
In fact, it's the Bad Idea(tm) that coined Grod's Law in my signature. It doesn't really hamper the power of the spells so much as make spellcasters irritating to play.

I thought that was Pathfinder having a feat that let you apply free metamagics in exchange for doing some math?