PDA

View Full Version : Need Build Help: Trying to Build the strongest swordmen i can

Nosta
2016-10-30, 11:54 AM
I will Be starting a new campaign soon, the old one ended and We are going to use pathfinder for the first time.

3.5 & PF Allowed

My Stats Rolled Are 18-16-16-15-13-13

I like to have a build level that goes from level 1-20

and I'd like to Be a swordsmen that Relies more on Technique than power

Multiclassing is ok there is no penalty

So what I am really asking what is the strongest possible build for a swordmen type character using Pf and 3.5 level 1-20 with not using any magic Except maybe the weapon He will use

lord_khaine
2016-10-30, 11:59 AM
Hmm.. i think its going to be hard for people to help you without a little more information, especially about the general optimisation level in your group?
And i assume that with no magic you also mean no psionic?

Because i think either a pure Warblade, or else something from Path of War, would be a good start for your request.

Nosta
2016-10-30, 12:11 PM
Hmm.. i think its going to be hard for people to help you without a little more information, especially about the general optimisation level in your group?
And i assume that with no magic you also mean no psionic?

Because i think either a pure Warblade, or else something from Path of War, would be a good start for your request.

the general optimisation level???
I guess it be High we only have two people that don't try to mid-max

And yes I want pure martial skill.

no magic or psionic

I want to use a Elven Curved Blade but not sure and I did plan to use TOB Or path of war but I am not sure what style to go down

and I am not sure if I should multi class or not

stanprollyright
2016-10-30, 12:34 PM
I actually really like PF Swashbuckler, I don't think it's as bad as everyone says as long as you don't expect to be dealing barbarian damage.

Alcore
2016-10-30, 12:41 PM
Given what you asked I'll throw in my 2 cents;

Since both PF and 3.5 is in use I will assume you are the PF fighter;

Pure fighter route
1, fighter feat (combat focus)
2, fighter feat (eleven curved blade) if necessary
3, normal feat (dodge)
4, fighter feat (combat stability)
5, weapon training (blades)
6, fighter feat (combat defense)

-from here at level 6 the build begins to take shape. The combat form feats from the player's handbook 2 provide +8 defense for a number of combat maneuvers allowing you to defend yourself beyond simple damage. If your like me you don't care if AoO are provoked; only that they interrupt. Also gives +4 will and extra dodge which changes from target to target on the fly when desired. Weapon training allows better maneuvers, accuracy, and damage at all times.

8, fighter feat (blind fight)
9, weapon training improves, +bows or natural/monk
10, fighter feat (combat vigor)
12, fighter feat (combat awareness)

-at this stage you now have fast heal 4, blindsight 5ft, +4 will, +8 maneuver defense, +2 dodge and +2 attack, damage and maneuvers for 14-15 rounds per encounter.

You'll noticed I used almost none of the normal feats and didn't get to 20. More can be done here but this is the blueprint I think of when I hear "swordsman".

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-30, 01:01 PM
Are Dragon mags allowed? Maybe a biild that focuses on using skills to boost damage (ijatsiu focus and knowledge devotion).

How about pumping cha, taking a level of battle dancer, using ijastiu(am I spelling that right?) focus, and putting stunning on your blade? Toss on some intimidate for more cha synergy (and 2 levels of pally of freedom as well?).

Primordial giant, spark, and unseelie fey should stack for +6 or 8 Cha for 0LA. A giant race will cost you +1LA though.

Edit- could even have half decent saves for dragonmarks with this, if that is your thing.

lord_khaine
2016-10-30, 02:33 PM
and I am not sure if I should multi class or not

Im not certain about what sort of feats you should take, except for a few general posibilities like power attack, improved initiative, mage slayer, blindfighting or close quarter fighting. But it depends to much on what your fighting.

Though i do think you should find some warblade guides, and perhaps splash a little swordsage.

Highlights would be
*Able to make any save (By replacing it with a concentration check
*Able to hit any target (using a maneouver to turn it into a touch attack)
*Block any attack, though an opposed attack roll (great against someone using power attack, or pesky Orbs of force)
*Shrug off most status effects (Iron.. Heart.. SURGE!!!)

Bonus effects of a sword sage splash would be cool stylish things like
*Making your sword burst into flames though pure force of will.
*A free action jump for mobility

Manyasone
2016-10-30, 02:45 PM
Well, if you favor 'path of war' over 'tome of battle' then the scarlet throne discipline is archetypical sword combat, if you add primal fury for boosts you can make a nice warrior. If you prefer fighter over warlord, I suggest using the myrmidon Archetype from path of war expanded. That way you can also add mithral current to your list which uses iaijutsu techniques. It's a pretty decent combination

Nosta
2016-10-30, 02:55 PM
Well I feel like doing A rogue (PF) X warblade but not sure were to go
I want to go Iron Heart Style
use a curved elven blade (counts as a bastard sword in our game)

i'm just not sure what would be the best build for this level 1 -20

stanprollyright
2016-10-30, 03:12 PM
Well I feel like doing A rogue (PF) X warblade but not sure were to go
I want to go Iron Heart Style
use a curved elven blade (counts as a bastard sword in our game)

i'm just not sure what would be the best build for this level 1 -20

I would go Warblade with either a Swordsage dip or Martial Study(shadow hand) and Martial Stance (Assassin's stance) for 2d6 sneak attack. This will also qualify you for Shadow Blade feat so you can get Dex to dmg (slashing grace won't work). It doesn't technically work with a curveblade since it doesn't exist in 3.5, bit since it's a finessable weapon I don't think it would be too hard to convince your DM to count it as a Shadow hand preferred weapon. For PrCs either Eternal Blade (assuming you're an elf) or Master of Nine.

EDIT: are you going Unchained Rogue? Because 3 levels of that would also net you 2d6 sneak attack and dex to attack and damage without spending any feats. Regular Rogue probably isn't as good as Swordsage with Shadow Blade.

Nosta
2016-10-30, 03:21 PM
I would go Warblade with either a Swordsage dip or Martial Study(shadow hand) and Martial Stance (Assassin's stance) for 2d6 sneak attack. This will also qualify you for Shadow Blade feat so you can get Dex to dmg. For PrCs either Eternal Blade (assuming you're an elf) or Master of Nine.

EDIT: are you going Unchained Rogue? Because 3 levels of that would also net you 2d6 sneak attack and dex to attack and damage without spending any feats. Regular Rogue probably isn't as good as Swordsage with Shadow Blade.

well I am think Unchained
but i'm not sure

For my martial class I plan just warblade