PDA

View Full Version : Character Build help thread

Toofey
2016-10-30, 11:59 AM
I keep seeing threads posted where people want to ask people's opinions on their builds and it seemed weird there wasn't a thread for this when I wanted to post my life cleric. So I thought I'd start one.

My Character

Anyway, I'm currently 29,800 (7th level) life cleric. Noble Background Vhuman with rolled stats.
str:16 Dex:11 Con:16 Int:12 Wiz:20 Cha:13
Vhuman feat: Warcaster 4th level ASI to Wiz
skills: History, Persuasion, Religion, Medicine, Perception
Mace+1, Shield+2, heavy armor.
cantrips: Light, Thaumaturgy, Mending, Sacred Flame.

I am often on the front lines as our party lacks a regular fighter. Typically using a combination of Spirit guardians and spiritual weapon. I'm coming up on 8th level which will be another ASI/Feat it' a pretty vanilla build but it works well, looking for something to stand out a little.

I'm considering: Magic initiate (druid: produce flame, thorn whip, Thunderwave) Resilience Con (to boost my already decent con save further for concentration) or skilled (Insight, Athletics, Survival)

Thoughts?

beargryllz
2016-10-30, 01:14 PM
You've made it this far without losing any spell slots and I'd keep it that way.

You can pump STR from here or start collecting feats. To get these, I'd keep taking levels in cleric. If you want to multiclass you can take 1-2 fighter and get the extra AC or damage in melee and the action surge which is amazing for almost every build there is.

Trabian
2016-10-30, 07:28 PM
In the post you're asking for help with a build, while in the spoiler you're looking for a way to stand out more.

Standing out is a matter of perception, both of that of your friends and that of your own. If you're the only one in front, I can assure you, your party members are normally already grateful that you're in front. In fact, as a life cleric, and the frontline fighter, you're pretty much the corner stone already, and standing out. If you want a bit more attention, start paying attention to your style. The way your character dresses. Does his armor have specific iconography? How are you spells styled? Even spirit guardians can change heavily between swirling swords, shadows draining the life from everyone, to a sea of wolves trying to tear your opponents a new one.

A build for a spellcaster is as much spell and playstyle as it is feat choice (probably even more). Even though you're a cleric of life, if you're the frontman, you can't slow down and run back to keep others alive. Healing can be done once the baddies are dead or incapacitated.
Spirit guardians is a good one, especially in corridors as you can keep people pinned on you. In an open field I would change it up. Control magic or buffs can do more than direct damage sometimes can do, although spirit guardians can be a tough one to beat. Sometimes you need to shut an enemy down rather than deal damage and possibly give him another round of devasting attacks, spells or breathweapon.

Spells to consider as alternatives once spirit guardians is not at its most needed.
Bless High AC enemies should be a good time to cast this one. Attacks missed by your friends probably would have done more than your spirit guardians. Also good if a lot of saves are asked due to abilities, enviroment or others, like many enemies with poison.
Calm emotions Against Single opponents with whom another shot at diplomacy might be good. Not so good against a group and a one keeps fighting.
Hold person In the average campaign, humanoids are the biggest source of enemies. Enemies that are held take more damage and don't deal damage. A good try if any slip by you, or in an open field.
blindness Enemy has disadvantage, and you can't be seen so you have advantage.
Bestow Curse A versatile one. Tank one specific save so other casters can land more, make you more tankier, or kill him faster. You can also be creative with curses. If you want to stand out, curse other people so something bad happens if they try to steal or hurt someone.
Banishment The best control spell at these levels, as it doesnt give them a save every round, usual combat shouldn't take more than a minute.

Build wise, you can't do much wrong. One thing I do suggest to *not* do, is simply take feats like skilled or other stuff simply because you feel like it. Feats and stat bumps are rare, and if you pick em randomly, you can quickly regret it. Take a look at the roles the others fulfill, if any skill you run into often is missing, skilled might be a good answer, but only you can answer that. Resilient (con) is a safe choice, as con saves are usually not those you want to fail.

If your party also lacks a certain caster like a wizard or a druid, try and see if ritual caster would be good for you, rituals can solve a lot of issues with non combat challenges.

djreynolds
2016-10-30, 08:22 PM
At 8th level is divine strike, 1d8 radiant damage. So +2 strength