PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Trying to Brew A Barbarian Wizard/Sorcerer Class

Faermünd
2016-10-30, 01:37 PM
So, as the title states, I'm trying to create a Barbarian Wizard/Mage class that isn't a multiclass for a D&D 5e campaign. I'm looking for role-playing suggestions and examples and maybe a few suggested traits/feats/stats etc. I'm hoping to make most from scratch or just use a watered down Barbarian with spellcasting. Also, not necessarily looking for a nature-themed person (though, the character would have a deep respect and reverence for nature). Lastly, I need a name suggestion.

I'm thinking something that combined Intelligence with Constitution... It shouldn't be so much about rage. Instead, I'm thinking tempered passion with an affinity for learning. I think it would have to be a Sorcerer or a Wizard (choice), but I could be mistaken. This would be calmer than the Barbarian but wilder than the magic user...

I hope this all makes sense, it doesn't yet to me (hence why I'm enlisting help).

Ladygolem
2016-10-30, 02:20 PM
Have you looked at Pathfinder's bloodrager class? Sorceror/barbarian hybrid, half-caster that uses sorceror bloodlines as sets of rage powers, can cast touch spells while raging. Obviously not every feature is compatible with 5e (the fact that there's only 2 sorceror bloodlines being one of them) but it could make for a good jumping off point.

Nifft
2016-10-30, 03:12 PM
So, as the title states, I'm trying to create a Barbarian Wizard/Mage class that isn't a multiclass for a D&D 5e campaign. I'm looking for role-playing suggestions and examples and maybe a few suggested traits/feats/stats etc. I'm hoping to make most from scratch or just use a watered down Barbarian with spellcasting. Also, not necessarily looking for a nature-themed person (though, the character would have a deep respect and reverence for nature). Lastly, I need a name suggestion.

I'm thinking something that combined Intelligence with Constitution... It shouldn't be so much about rage. Instead, I'm thinking tempered passion with an affinity for learning. I think it would have to be a Sorcerer or a Wizard (choice), but I could be mistaken. This would be calmer than the Barbarian but wilder than the magic user...

I hope this all makes sense, it doesn't yet to me (hence why I'm enlisting help).

My suggestions:

1/ Ask this in the 5e forum. ;)

2/ What about a Voodoo Berskerker, who binds a powerful spirit and lets it "ride" his or her body for a while. How is this arcane? Well, the spirits YOU bind are the type associated with Wizards: fiends, elementals, and the undead.

So, you get Eldritch Knight casting progression off the Sorcerer list, plus you can expend a spell when you enter a Rage to gain a benefit associated with a fiend, an elemental, or an undead.