PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of Crimson Faith

Darth Ultron
2016-10-30, 05:29 PM
Eltabbar: Eltabbar is the hidden heart of a country that puts forth a hardened image. The city is surprisingly beautiful in nearly every respect, from its glittering canals to its greenery and artworks. There are many fine buildings with columns and marble, and while the greatest are public, a number of private noble houses are quite impressive. The squalor of the slave quarter is negligible compared to the gondolas and the major thoroughfares. This is where Thayans aspire to go on their honeymoons, or to find a suitable marriage. It is also where all Thayan bards would like to perform.

Located in the cities Dark Quarter is the Church of Spirits, the temple of Velsharoon.

Made of dark granite, the Church of Spirits has no windows to the outside. The only entrance to the building is a pair of gothic, iron doors leading onto the square. Each door is decorated with a skull. The building design is a stepped pyramid, in essence like a square of granite with a smaller square on top and a smaller square on top etc. It’s about 60 feet high. Silver guttering runs around the edge of each layer and down the edges of each corner.

Inside, the temple if all dark corridors of black marble, unadorned with any decoration. Heavy, unmarked iron doors lead into all the rooms and the overall effect is extremely dark and it seems to swallow sound and light. Illumination is provided by sticks of crystal housed in slots in the wall that glow gently. Around the outside of the building are the habitation cells of the disciples that live within the temple and further into the building are the quarters of the higher priests, torture chambers, sacrificial chamber and the altar of death.

*Location: In the center of Thay, near the Thaymount, on the southern shores of Lake Thaylambar. Most of the oddly shaped tharch is used for growing crops, and a number of Nar ruins are said to dot the landscape far from the city.
*Climate: Like all interior Thayan cities, the weather is fair, with scheduled rainfall at night. The city suffers more often from magical mishaps than any climate changes.
*Geographic Features: The canals of the city are well-known but surprisingly orderly. The lake is plentifully stocked, and the mountains rise steeply to the West. The major road through Thay, known as The Slave Way, leads to Eltabbar from the coast. The road is carefully kept and slaves are marched instead of teleported, so as to break their spirits by the time they arrive in the city.
*History: Eltabbar was founded in 923, a year after Thay won its independence from Mulhorand. Placing the new nation's capital deep inside seemed only natural, but was said to have darker motives. It is near the Thaymount, where the nation's premiere wizards have secret laboratories and forges, and thus sometimes suffers from earthquakes. It was also the heart of the civil conflict amongst the nobles that no one likes to talk about but which necessitated the creation of the Eltabbar Census. Since then, registered noble families can only host a set number of blood relations within the city limits at any given time, a number which has steadily dropped since the creation of the Census but which must be declared to the Census office. Each house is allowed a permanent number of inhabitants and a temporary roster of visitors that can stay for up to six months.
*Reputation: It is known as the center of Kossuth’s worship, the slave trade, politics, and art; it is also the second largest city in Thay.
*Relations: Eltabbar has a rivalry with Bezantur, the most populous city in the empire.
*Religions: Bane, Kossuth, Siamorphe, Waukeen, with lesser gods in minor temples and shrines. The churches of Eltabbar all require regular tithing and/or service, although they are careful not to cross the will of the Red Wizards. Most churches use discounts and special services as bargaining chips over the majority of the populace; such things are never assured, except for Red Wizards.
*Notable Heroism: Generals for Thay often hail from Eltabbar, but are trained at the military academy in Pyarados. The Tharchion spends a good amount of time in the city.
*Notable Scandals: Those who try to flee noble families and duties are looked down upon, and traitors to Thay are reviled.
*Important Celebrations: Major holidays for the churches are conspicuously grand.
*Criminal Element(s): The city is run by evil and vengeful wizards. Any thieves in the area steal from visitors, not from locals(but not always...of course)

Feel free to start somewhere...we can make and build as we go on

Sir Shadow
2016-10-30, 07:19 PM
It had been many years since Liam had stepped foot in the Church of Spirits. Not since his younger days as a mere acolyte had he crept along its dark halls or chanted in the sacrificial chamber. The memories could hardly be referred to as fond, but they were formative. His study here had taught him of the duality of life and death and shown him of the mysteries that existed between and outside of them. In the years since, he had earned his stripes in the service of his creed, participating in slave raids from neighboring Rashemen and Mulhorand, and furthering his understanding of undeath.

He found it odd that he had been called back now of all times and without pretense. Standing before the front gate, he pulled back the hood of his cloak and removed his black helmet. With a gauntleted hand pressed against the door and entered the temple.

Darth Ultron
2016-10-30, 09:21 PM
The inside of the temple is quiet, both from the thick heavy construction of the buildings and the areas of enchanted silence.

A young human female, an Pallbearer (acolyte) in a bone white robe and a bald head painted white, waits just inside of the doorway. "Welcome to the church of spirits, they await you down the hall, in the White Room. "

Sir Shadow
2016-10-30, 09:43 PM
Nodding to the pallbearer, Liam walks down the familiar pathway to the White Room. He reminisces of his time in a similar position during the short walk.

Darth Ultron
2016-10-31, 06:36 PM
Other then a couple white wooden tables and chairs the White Room is just bare white walls and floor and ceiling.

Most Gray Spirit Necrophant Chatzkel Novasad, and older human male in a gray robe with a bald head covred in gray tattos sits in one chair in the middle of the room, looking into a floating crystal ball in front of him.

"Come in, sit. "

Once you enter the room, the door to the room closes itself and locks and then is covered by a soft white glow.

Most Gray Spirit Necrophant Chatzkel Novasad"Come in, sit. We have a lot to talk about.... "

Two of the white chairs walk forward and over to you so you may sit on one of them.

Sir Shadow
2016-10-31, 07:04 PM
Liam places his helmet on a table as he enters the room proper and walks over to sit across from the Most Grey Spirit. Flicking out his cloak, he takes a seat in the white chair and looks into the floating ball. As the lesser party, he waited calmly for his superior to speak. The elderly man must know that he had many questions about the circumstances that brought him here, but he knew better than to speak out of turn.

Darth Ultron
2016-10-31, 08:11 PM
The orb flashes views of alleyways, streets and courtyards,,,

Most Gray Spirit Necrophant Chatzkel Novasad "I'm going to skip all the fluff and get right down to the bone. The faithful are being killed. In just the last month we lost eleven of us, six of them priests. We don't know who is behind it. No one has taken credit. But, even more so with the last killings, we think it might be someone here on the inside. We don't want to show our bones though, it would be to easy for the killer to slip away...even more so if they have something ready. We need someone loyal and that we can trust, and we know where you were out of the area. Four of the priests killed were also from your graduation class, that could just be a coincidence....or maybe there is a connection. We need you to find out. "

Sir Shadow
2016-10-31, 08:29 PM
"As you command, Most Gray." His eyes flicker to the orb again, "Where did these murders take place? What am I to say is the reason for my return?"

Darth Ultron
2016-10-31, 08:49 PM
Most Gray Spirit Necrophant Chatzkel Novasad "A couple different locations. We really did not put them all together until the last group. After all people die all the time and the first couple did not seem too out of place, but looking back, they must have been the start.

It's no secret your here, obviously. We don't need much more of a reason then you came here to pray, and rest, and seek guidance. It is after all what followers of a god do at a temple. If you feel the need for some sort of more cover, feel free to come up with something.

We have a person with all the details for you. She has been entrapped during the whole time, so we know it was not her. And while she is a devoted follower of Velsharoon, she is not a cleric.

Unless you have some other questions I'll go and send her in."

Sir Shadow
2016-10-31, 09:01 PM
"No, Most Gray," Liam bows his head, "I pray I am adequate for the task you have given me."

Darth Ultron
2016-11-02, 03:13 AM
Most Gray Spirit Necrophant Chatzkel Novasad leaves the room, and about a minute later a young human female with pale skin and a near matching white robe enters the room and closes the door.

Shorafa Ouvren "Well met, I'm Shorafa Ouvren. I'm a faith full of Velsharoon, but not a cleric. I'm a bard by trade. I've spent the last several weeks imprisoned, for a minor digression. I'm eager to make up for that. I've immersed myself in the available details, but I don't have experience with this sort of thing. Hopefully we can work together to solve it."

Sir Shadow
2016-11-02, 08:18 AM
As Shorafa entered the room, Liam stands and nods to the woman before seating himself again. He took stock of her movements and appearance as she made her way to join him. She looked like a typical supplicant, though she lacked any distinguishing marks that may place her among the higher ranks. "I am Liam Gaweirus. You have me at a disadvantage, then. Please, bring me up to speed; start at the beginning."

Darth Ultron
2016-11-02, 08:57 PM
Shorafa Ouvren "It seems someone is out killing the faithfull of Velsharoon. Maybe someone on the inside, at or around the temple. Eleven total, six were clerics."

Sir Shadow
2016-11-03, 08:12 AM
"Yes, the Most Grey Spirit mentioned that, but how are they being killed? Where were the dead found?"

Darth Ultron
2016-11-04, 04:30 AM
Shorafa Ouvren "Brutally. Ripped a part by claws and teeth. The bodies were found where they died. None here in the temple. Four were in their homes, three were in allies, and the last four were together in a court yard."

Sir Shadow
2016-11-04, 11:58 PM
"It seems we have our work cut out for us. There is a multitude of things that could have been responsible... Have there been any outspoken opponents of the church recently?"

Darth Ultron
2016-11-05, 12:07 PM
Shorafa Ouvren "Nothing so obvious. The church keeps a low public profile. The worship of Velsharoon is done best in the dark and out of sight. And the church has no foes other then good in general.

The theory here is that it is someone inside the temple. Those who worship Velsharoon are not well known and few faithful show it off. And the last four were killed together on temple business. The cleric Irpur Esen, two faithful workers Moruth and Doole were killed while at a small private funeral for a faithful woman's husband. That woman Faire Senefortho, was also killed. Very few even in the church knew when and where the funeral was talking place. "

Sir Shadow
2016-11-05, 03:58 PM
The facts of the latest case a furrow of frustration across his brown, "So... who was privy to that meeting? Who knew it was taking place?"

Darth Ultron
2016-11-05, 06:08 PM
Shorafa Ouvren "Officially, other then the ones who have died, only two clerics here at the temple knew about the meeting. Elisaveta Rykouva the one who set up the event and Zavian Desante who approves of all such events. But such information is hardly secure or secret, so anyone in the temple might have known about it. That is part of the problem, not knowing who to trust and what makes us, as outsiders, of value."

Sir Shadow
2016-11-05, 08:47 PM
"Has anyone tried communing with the dead for answers?"

Darth Ultron
2016-11-05, 09:04 PM
Shorafa Ouvren "Of course. But most of the attacks were done in magical darkness. A couple saw a humanoid dressed all in black or a bear-like monster. But that could be anything. The bodies from the last attack are still here, if you wanted to question them."

Sir Shadow
2016-11-05, 09:55 PM
"Of course... I suppose it would be worth my time to do so. They might have noticed something else that wouldn't be obvious to question. Have you any other thoughts about the matter at hand?"

Darth Ultron
2016-11-05, 10:13 PM
Shorafa Ouvren "Well, solving the mystery is a bit boring. I was thinking we could just speed things up and use you as bait and then grab the killer when he comes for you. Anyway, are you powerful enough to speak with the dead yourself, or do we need to get a more powerful priest?"

Sir Shadow
2016-11-05, 10:29 PM
"I can do so myself, but your idea has merit. The problem is we don't really know why these members were targeted, so there's no way of knowing what kind of target I present." Liam scratches his chin, "But yes, I can do so myself."

Darth Ultron
2016-11-06, 06:48 PM
Shorafa Ouvren nods and leads you down into the crypt and over to a small room lit by some everburing orbs on the walls. Six stone tables are in the room, four of them have wrapped up corpses on them.

Shorafa Ouvren "This is them"

Sir Shadow
2016-11-09, 12:06 AM
Liam looks at the bodies and says a short prayer before looking at the markers. Once he finds Irpur Esen, he brandishes his holy symbol and casts Speak with Dead.

Darth Ultron
2016-11-09, 07:29 AM
The corpse of Irpur Esen turns it's head to look at Liam and waits for some questions.

Sir Shadow
2016-11-10, 02:37 PM
"What did you hear before before the attack."

Darth Ultron
2016-11-10, 05:55 PM
Irpur Esen "A voice said ''evil must be purged'' and the sound of heavy footsteps and a deep growl.''

Sir Shadow
2016-11-15, 07:10 PM
(( sorry about the delay, it's been kind of a hectic week for me ))

Liam looks to Shorafa and raises an eyebrow before turning back to the dead cleric, "Who's voice was it?"

Darth Ultron
2016-11-15, 08:33 PM
Irpur Esen "I did not know the voice."

Shorafa Ouvren writes everything down on a scroll.

Sir Shadow
2016-11-21, 09:04 PM
"My final question, who would want you dead?"

Darth Ultron
2016-11-22, 06:16 PM
Irpur Esen "No one I know of, I have no personal enemies."

Sir Shadow
2016-12-02, 01:52 PM
As the magic fades and the corpse lies still once more, Liam shakes his head, "Well, that wasn't nearly as helpful as I'd have liked, but it did bring some things to light. 'Evil must be purged...?' A peculiar battle-cry, that."

Darth Ultron
2016-12-03, 03:00 PM
Shorafa Ouvren looks over a scroll "I'm not sure what that means. Maybe that the killer is some sort of good vigilante?"

Sir Shadow
2016-12-04, 09:49 PM
"That's possible, but the nature of the attack seems less... 'righteous', and the possibility of such a vigilante existing in the city seems dubious at best. Perhaps it was planted to throw off efforts like this. The use of darkness in the attack shows some amount of pre-planning."

Darth Ultron
2016-12-04, 11:37 PM
Shorafa Ouvren "It would seem to be. I don't see any reason why there could not be a hidden good killer though. Did you want to try any of the other bodies?"

Sir Shadow
2016-12-04, 11:43 PM
"I doubt they would be of any better aid, and I did not have another spell prepared." Liam scratches his chin, "I think your plan of setting myself up as the target would be best. It may be possible to lay a trap if the killer follows a similar method."

Darth Ultron
2016-12-04, 11:49 PM
Shorafa Ouvrennods "Glad you agree. I think you will make a good target. But we also will need a good trap. Can you handle yourself in a fight? Should we try and catch them or just kill?"

Sir Shadow
2016-12-06, 08:03 PM
"I'm can hold my own fairly well, particularly with some preparation. Catching them would be preferable so that we can more effectively question the perpetrator."

Darth Ultron
2016-12-07, 05:37 AM
Shorafa Ouvren "Ok. So what do you think would make good bait? How do we get the killer to come after you? "

Sir Shadow
2016-12-10, 04:02 AM
"From what I can tell so far these seem to be simply attacks of opportunity. If I were to place myself in a seemingly vulnerable position, it could serve as proper bait." Liam shrugs, "You weren't able to discern anything the faithful had in common other than the church?"

Darth Ultron
2016-12-10, 03:11 PM
Shorafa Ouvren "I don't think so. Being faithful seems to be the only link. I'm not sure how to make you good bait. Any faithful could be the next target. "