PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Mind Shielding already has a soul!

HeidiParthena
2016-10-30, 08:01 PM
Hi! I found a Ring of Mind Shielding but when I put it on, it already had an evil Drow soul in it, and he says all sorts of nasty things. I cannot wear the ring for fear of madness. ANY thoughts on how to exorcise this nasty soul? We do have a good (think Drizzt) Drow in our party who could help?. I am an elf wizard. Thanks! -Heidi

Trabian
2016-10-30, 08:11 PM
The only thing I can think of is Mind Blank directly, but that is an 8th level spell.
In the worst case scenario, keep the ring for when it's needed.
The times when you really need to keep people out of your, having an evil drow talk alot is not so bad in comparison.
Maybe a cleric can help put the soul to rest.

Ask your DM if you can start to investigate with a few knowledge religion or arcana rolls.

Gastronomie
2016-10-30, 10:09 PM
DMs don't randomly imbed magical items with the souls of evil drow. Chances are, the DM has an upcoming mini-adventure in mind about how to exorcise that soul. He'll get there in a moment.

Slipperychicken
2016-10-30, 11:00 PM
It's DM fiat. In other words, it works because the DM said so, and can only be removed by methods he says will work.

I'd try a remove curse spell, just as a shot in the dark. Maybe dispel evil, or one of the other possession-removing spells could work. Maybe you could get some devils to remove it and leave you with the soul-free Ring of Mind Shielding, in exchange for them keeping the unwanted soul.

Sigreid
2016-10-30, 11:33 PM
Step 1: Summon a devil
Step 2: Tell the devil he can have the soul in the ring if he can get it out without damaging the ring.
Step 3: Profit.

NecroDancer
2016-10-30, 11:40 PM
If your party has a bard do this

1.give the ring to the bard

2. Have the bard sing this song 24/7
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Whgn_iE5uc

3.profit

Plaguescarred
2016-10-31, 04:08 AM
To me it appears to not just be a magic items but a quest item so i don't think a simple greater restoration casting will remove curse on it sucessfully.

Find what the Drow Soul wants or needs, try to see if you can help it accomplish what it needs to so it can find final rest. You may only get your ring then (and perhaps even other treasures or benefits...) #goodluck

Arkhios
2016-10-31, 04:20 AM
Banishment should do the trick. Having someone's soul in an item isn't necessarily a curse, per say.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-31, 05:55 AM
Banishment should do the trick.I don't think since banishment target a creature you can see.

Arkhios
2016-10-31, 06:24 AM
I don't think since banishment target a creature you can see.

Banishment does work to get rid of the Vengeful spirit from a Sword of Vengeance, which is why I figured it could work in this case too. Clearly this evil soul in a ring is either homebrew or written into whatever adventure path. It sounds very similar in context.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-31, 07:16 AM
Banishment does work to get rid of the Vengeful spirit from a Sword of Vengeance, which is why I figured it could work in this case too. Clearly this evil soul in a ring is either homebrew or written into whatever adventure path. It sounds very similar in context.It work because the sword of vengeance specifically allow it otherwise it wouldn't. So unless this special ring of mind shielding also say a banishment work on it it shouldn't.

But i think it could be good use of the spell in this case if i were the DM.

Arkhios
2016-10-31, 07:22 AM
It work because the sword of vengeance specifically allow it otherwise it wouldn't. So unless this special ring of mind shielding also say a banishment work on it it shouldn't.

But i think it could be good use of the spell in this case if i were the DM.

I know that RAW it doesn't work if an item especially doesn't allow it, but in the case of this - likely - homebrewed item it's pretty plausible solution, because of the precedent Sword of Vengeance. And it's quite high level spell too, so it should work "powerwise".

But again, I agree with a RAW interpretation. As a DM I would allow it, but not everyone would, and that's fine.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-31, 07:44 AM
Yeah his DM must decide what can be done with it if he didn't already.

I have a feeling it's more complex than a single spellcastingl though.

HeidiParthena
2016-10-31, 11:24 AM
Yeah his DM must decide what can be done with it if he didn't already.

I have a feeling it's more complex than a single spellcastingl though.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! The evil soul is definitely a home-brew, and I am going to attempt to talk to the nasty thing. Should be interesting! I'm currently level 6 so if that doesn't work, I will definitely pick up "Banishment" and try that when I level to 7. THANKS!