PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Corgyn - 5e Homebrew Race

degreesofdaniel
2016-10-31, 08:18 AM
This is based on a tongue in cheek homebrew race I found a while back called "Fey Dog." This is my first attempt at a homebrew race. I wanted to make the Fey Dog more playable, and to justify its place in the world I'm creating, while trying to balance something as ridiculous as an anthropomorphic Corgi. The lore behind the Corgyn is still a huge work in progress, but I'd appreciate some advice on what's below.

Corgyn

Small But Ever Curious

Corgyn are an energetic race of anthropomorphic canine-like beings. They're small creatures descending from the whimsical nature of faerie. They aren’t true fey but rather one of many kinds of animals uplifted by fey magic. Their ancestors are believed to have originated centuries ago in the hidden forest realms of the fey on the island of Valonde as faerie steeds. Through the ages they've evolved into what they are today.

While many venture from their forest homelands, most tend to stay within their realms. This is either out of a fearful need for protection or phobia of the outside world.

Those who wander away from their home realms do so to learn about the many worlds around them. To these lone strangers, the world is full of new sights, sounds, and even smells! For Corgyn, this new life is one full of excitement wherever they go.

At Home Anywhere

Despite their origins in the realms of Faerie, adventurous Corgyn are comfortable almost everywhere. Leaving behind their prejudice and fear, they adapt to new homes much like their non-sentient ancestors.

And just like their ancestors, they are quick to bond to other races that become friendly with them. While Corgyn aren’t always willing to obey and listen, they prove to be very faithful companions in the long run.

Corgyn Traits (5.5) (I've included what I believe is the correct use of the Musicus scoring, but my scores could be slightly off.)

Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom stat increases by 2. (2)

Age: Corgyn enter adulthood by age 10. Because of their fey origins, they can live upwards of 300 years.

Alignment: Corgyn span many alignments and ideals. Their tendency toward loyalty and strong faith lead to lawful alignments where their free spirit can also lead to the softer sides of chaos.

Size: Like your ancestors, you are a small creature. When standing upright, fey dogs are about the size of your average gnome; or roughly 1 foot tall when on all fours. Despite your size and debated cuteness, you are more than capable of holding your own. Average weight for a Corgyn is somewhere between 20 to 40 lbs. Being a small creature does have its disadvantages though, as per size rules. (-1)

Speed: Your base walking speed is 25 feet.

Darkvision: Thanks to ages of adjusting to the night’s sky with canine kin, your race has the boon of contending with darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. (.5)

Biting Jaws: Due to your canine heritage, you are able to bite on foes who get in your way. You are proficient in a bite attack that does 1d4 piercing damage, utilizing strength or dexterity. In addition, it can be used as off-hand attack. As you gain levels, your bite gains power. Upon reaching level 9, your bite increases to 1d6. At level 18, increase to 1d8. On a successful bite attack, you can perform a grappling check as a bonus action. On critical hits with your bite, you have advantage on the grappling check. While your enemy is grappled, you can use a bonus action on your turn to deal damage to the grappled creature equal to the damage you'd do with a bite. (1)

Canine Ancestry: You are able to shift between the 4 legged stance of your ancestors and the 2 legged stance of your race with ease using only a free action. While on all fours, your movement speed increases to 35. You cannot take any other attack action besides Biting Jaws while on all fours. (1)

Crafty Little Doggy: You're proficient in the Acrobatics and Persuasion skills. (1)

Nimble: You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours. (.5)

Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and magic can't put you to sleep. (.5)

Languages: You speak Common and Sylvan. Here, I'm not sure if it would thematically make sense for Corgyn to be able to communicate with your average canine/dog due to their origins, so I left it out

So while it may be "balanced" according to the Musicus scoring method, something feels off to me and I'd appreciate any advice to make this race more usable. Thanks!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-31, 11:54 AM
What's this about fey now? :smalltongue:

I think it's fine. You might polish up the two legs/four legs bit (standing from prone uses movement, but this ability changes your movement speed, it's confusing), and scaling the unarmed strike is non-standard for 5e, but I feel that there's enough character here for the race to work.

The name doesn't set me on fire... I think it's not cutesy enough. Maybe something like Corgini?

PapaQuackers
2016-10-31, 12:31 PM
Corgyn is the proper plural of Corgi.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-31, 12:50 PM
Corgyn is the proper plural of Corgi.

The internet doesn't seem to agree with you (the only references I can find are as a D&D race), but if that's right, I like it even less as a name. It just scans so poorly.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-31, 12:53 PM
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/corgwn

Its spelled differently but thats what I assume he meant. If not, oops.

Sicarius Victis
2016-10-31, 03:58 PM
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/corgwn

Its spelled differently but thats what I assume he meant. If not, oops.

I give up on languages making sense. I thought corgwn was bad, but then I saw "nghorgwn". I just don't know anymore.

But back to the point of the thread. I have just one comment at the moment. Even if most characters won't make use of it, they should get a free grapple check when they bite an opponent, as well as the ability to do bite damage for free without requiring an attack when they have someone grappled this way.

degreesofdaniel
2016-10-31, 09:44 PM
What's this about fey now? :smalltongue:

I think it's fine. You might polish up the two legs/four legs bit (standing from prone uses movement, but this ability changes your movement speed, it's confusing), and scaling the unarmed strike is non-standard for 5e, but I feel that there's enough character here for the race to work.

The name doesn't set me on fire... I think it's not cutesy enough. Maybe something like Corgini?

Ah I see what you mean. I was just trying to keep it balanced so players couldn't switch between both with total freedom. I totally spaced on the prone/standing minutia. I'll just won't compare it to being prone at all. Thanks! As far as the name goes, I'd have to agree. The more I look at it and hear it out loud, it sounds too harsh for what the race is. I'll think of some alternatives.

I give up on languages making sense. I thought corgwn was bad, but then I saw "nghorgwn". I just don't know anymore.

But back to the point of the thread. I have just one comment at the moment. Even if most characters won't make use of it, they should get a free grapple check when they bite an opponent, as well as the ability to do bite damage for free without requiring an attack when they have someone grappled this way.

So on a successful attack, a player could perform a free grapple check? Also, when would the additional free damage take place? On an enemy's next failed grapple check, or on the player's next turn if the enemy is still grappled? Thank you for the input!

Sicarius Victis
2016-10-31, 10:05 PM
So on a successful attack, a player could perform a free grapple check? Also, when would the additional free damage take place? On an enemy's next failed grapple check, or on the player's next turn if the enemy is still grappled? Thank you for the input!

I'd say on a successful bite attack, the character can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple. Basically the way Tavern Brawler does it. And since you're attacking with a bite, I don't think you really have to worry about TWF. I'd also say that while you have an opponent grappled with the bite, you may use a bonus action on your turn to deal damage to the grappled creature equal to the damage you'd do with a bite. It's not an attack, so no Smite or Critical Hits or anything like that, it's just a way to put out a bit more damage while also feeling like that's how it would actually work in-universe and such.

Also, while the character's grappling with a bite, they shouldn't be able to keep biting people, or even speak. At least, not legibly enough to cast spells or similar things.

Optional: on a critical hit with the bite attack, attempt the grapple check with advantage.

degreesofdaniel
2016-10-31, 10:11 PM
I'd say on a successful bite attack, the character can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple. Basically the way Tavern Brawler does it. And since you're attacking with a bite, I don't think you really have to worry about TWF. I'd also say that while you have an opponent grappled with the bite, you may use a bonus action on your turn to deal damage to the grappled creature equal to the damage you'd do with a bite. It's not an attack, so no Smite or Critical Hits or anything like that, it's just a way to put out a bit more damage while also feeling like that's how it would actually work in-universe and such.

Also, while the character's grappling with a bite, they shouldn't be able to keep biting people, or even speak. At least, not legibly enough to cast spells or similar things.

Optional: on a critical hit with the bite attack, attempt the grapple check with advantage.

Thanks again!

However, coming up with a name alternative is slowly making me want to shoot myself. :smalltongue: