PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #1057 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2016-10-31, 08:57 AM
New comic is up.

Also, note the shiny new green banner below this that's advertising the new 2017 OOTS calendar.

Keltest
2016-10-31, 09:00 AM
Ooo, a shiny new banner! I shall stare at it!

Oh, and I guess Andi is being unreasonable something something mild discontent.

Banner!

Thanks Giant!

Shining Wrath
2016-10-31, 09:01 AM
"I'm continually amazed by how often we get screwed by you not being pedantic enough".

Who ever thought those words would be directed at Vaarsuvius, in any context?

And it's bad news that V doesn't have more greater invisibility prepared. How can Haley be Pointy Death Incarnate?

zimmerwald1915
2016-10-31, 09:05 AM
"I'm continually amazed by how often we get screwed by you not being pedantic enough".
To be generous, suggestion practically exists to be got around in just this way. If you cast it and its subjects don't find some inconvenient loophole, you're doing something wrong.

DustyBottoms
2016-10-31, 09:06 AM
"I'm continually amazed by how often we get screwed by you not being pedantic enough."

This might be in the running for my favorite Blackwing quote. Excellent strip.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-10-31, 09:07 AM
I'm inclined to agree with the lady who said that Frost Giant Hell doesn't sound too bad. Though this brings up a question...does each god/race have its own set of afterlives, or their own special places within the planes, or what?

Keltest
2016-10-31, 09:09 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, what exactly is Andi doing? She appears to be sitting around watching V and Belkar do their jobs instead of, say, anything remotely helpful. Engineers can still haul up Alchemist's fire up from below deck.

terenes
2016-10-31, 09:14 AM
What is Andi up to? V. blasting frost giants should be clearly visible from above.

zimmerwald1915
2016-10-31, 09:15 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, what exactly is Andi doing? She appears to be sitting around watching V and Belkar do their jobs instead of, say, anything remotely helpful. Engineers can still haul up Alchemist's fire up from below deck.
There are other crew members for that, and given that the hatches between decks admit one person at a time, Andi would probably get in the way if she tried to join in. She's got her wrench in hand, she's probably patching things off-panel (note that in both the second panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1055.html) and the first panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1057.html) she's running toward Bandana, who's standing at the rail; that suggests Andi's darting back and forth to me), it's just that what we see are her free moments when she gets to bellyache.

That probably accounts for her lack of keen tactical insight too. She's not actually observing the fight all that closely, just the bits she happens to catch or that people tell her about.

HandofShadows
2016-10-31, 09:15 AM
A Suggestion that does not pan out. Great Page.

TerrickTerran
2016-10-31, 09:20 AM
Even at high levels, it's nice to see magic can't always solve everything.

Shining Wrath
2016-10-31, 09:24 AM
Guys, in strip 1056 Haley and V talked about how they were flying around a bend, far ahead of the Mechane. They aren't visible because there's a mountain in the way.
Andi is still being a jerk, though, because half of the Order is standing visible on the deck (or were when last shown), and adventuring parties don't usually abandon each other, which she ought to know after serving with Captain Scoundrel for years. She's upset because she's not in charge, not because she has reasonable fears - although she may not realize it.

Peelee
What is Andi up to? V. blasting frost giants should be clearly visible from above.

V blasting frost giants was indeed clearly visible from above. Then V stopped blasting frost giants and zoomed up ahead of the Mechane. Andi is complaining about V no longer blasting frost giants, and zooming up ahead of the Mechane.

Sylian
Andi is starting to really annoy me. She's an interesting character, since she seems to serve as somewhat of an antagonist without actually being evil or even really opposed to the protagonists (so maybe she's more of an objective than an antagonist). Still, I'll have to admit that her concerns, from her perspective, are somewhat valid. We, the readers, know how much is at stake (or at least we believe we do), so we see her actions as somewhat risky (if the heroes fail the world is destroyed). Still, it'll be interesting how this will all pan out. Will Andi change her mind at some point? Will Bandana have a mutiny on her hands?

hroşila
2016-10-31, 09:27 AM
Obviously it isn't. The source of the bat was "just around the next bend" according to Blackwing, and who knows how tall the particular peak these clerics are on actually is?

Peelee
2016-10-31, 09:27 AM
Also, I just noticed.... where is Haley in panel 6? Is she supposed to be hidden behind that one giant's head?

drazen
2016-10-31, 09:28 AM
Forget the plot, I'm trying to figure out if there's any subtle difference in the WHAM panels in #1056 and #1057, other than size. Gotta stay focused on the important issues, you know. ;)

Shouldn't Haley be flying out of there, like, now-ish?

Sylian
2016-10-31, 09:34 AM
So, kill/defeat the one who made his save and then escape?

Forget the plot, I'm trying to figure out if there's any subtle difference in the WHAM panels in #1056 and #1057, other than size. Gotta stay focused on the important issues, you know. ;) I noticed a few. The one in 56 doesn't show the giant's eyes, while the one in 57 does (with swirly eyes). The ground looks slightly different too.

Cernor
2016-10-31, 09:34 AM
Forget the plot, I'm trying to figure out if there's any subtle difference in the WHAM panels in #1056 and #1057, other than size. Gotta stay focused on the important issues, you know. ;)

I had the exact same thought! The only difference is, the giant in #1057 has swirly eyes under the helmet.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

JumboWheat01
2016-10-31, 09:39 AM
I love seeing V's increasing use of non-blasty spells. Though maybe V should consider Spell Focus: Enchantment the next time they qualify for a feat.

Caesar
2016-10-31, 09:40 AM
LOL, as an emissary from the North, I can only give my heartiest approval of the giants' most feared realm of punishment =D (Probably comes with low, low taxes)

Murk
2016-10-31, 09:42 AM
That's the second axe, and somehow she still lives. Haley's tougher than she looks!

Carl
2016-10-31, 09:57 AM
This might be in the running for my favorite Blackwing quote. Excellent strip.

Honestly Blackwings supply of best quote ever moments and lines is rapidly approaching critical mass, it gets much bigger and we'll hit the singularity and then what will humour look like afterwards?

Yes you can throw stuff at me for awful jokes :).

Erys
2016-10-31, 10:08 AM
That's the second axe, and somehow she still lives. Haley's tougher than she looks!

Well, she is high level. I would hope she can take a LOT more than one or two hits by a giant axe.

Kish
2016-10-31, 10:08 AM
Well, that's a point in favor of the "Vaarsuvius isn't allowed to solve problems" hypothesis, given that I will now be quite surprised if this encounter doesn't end with the death of those giants and the irrelevancy of the Mass Suggestion.

Herr Doktor
2016-10-31, 10:11 AM
Like that giant said, the "Eternal Pit of Mild Spring Temperatures" doesn't sound so bad. Extremes of temperature always bring to mind punitive afterlives; I expect kind, mild weather as part of the reward for living a good life.

Chei
2016-10-31, 10:17 AM
Clerics with a bad Will save? That's gotta be a rough life. Well, the archer isn't a cleric.

Peelee
2016-10-31, 10:21 AM
Clerics with a bad Will save? That's gotta be a rough life. Well, the archer isn't a cleric.

They could (and likely do) have good saves, and just rolled poorly.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-10-31, 10:30 AM
Also, spell saves have a scaling issue.

PS---Woooo, calendar!

Kish
2016-10-31, 10:32 AM
I see no indication that any of them except the one who passed the Will save are clerics, actually.

Jasdoif
2016-10-31, 10:37 AM
I see no indication that any of them except the one who passed the Will save are clerics, actually.True, the holy symbols on the two other giants are suggestive, not indicative...assuming of course they are holy symbols, and not amulets or something of the sort.

Sir_Norbert
2016-10-31, 10:39 AM
Well, the phrasing "the remaining cleric" implies (in conventional usage) that at least one of those taken out was a cleric. But V, with vis usual pedantry, would point out that this isn't a logical implication.

hroşila
2016-10-31, 10:39 AM
Like that giant said, the "Eternal Pit of Mild Spring Temperatures" doesn't sound so bad. Extremes of temperature always bring to mind punitive afterlives; I expect kind, mild weather as part of the reward for living a good life.
I mean, it's a joke.

People from northern climates often have a tough time in temperatures that people from southern climates find mild. The giantess then double-subverts this by agreeing with the common sense view that mild temperatures are nice.

I mean.

Grey_Wolf_c
2016-10-31, 10:42 AM
True, the holy symbols on the two other giants are suggestive, not indicative...assuming of course they are holy symbols, and not amulets or something of the sort.

I still think they might be some flavour of martial class serving as bodyguard of the cleric. Yes, they have pendants, but they might be symbols of office or maybe they are simply religious ornaments. Clerics need the holy symbol, but it is hardly restricted to them as a fashion choice.

(That all said, I would also not be surprised if they are lesser clerics with focus on fighting rather than casting - CoDzilla and all that)

Grey Wolf

IDrankWHAT
2016-10-31, 10:42 AM
Darn it V! You could have said aboard AND abroad! I hope Haley is okay after that second hit, sheesh.

NeoSeraphi
2016-10-31, 10:46 AM
Blackwing continues to compete with Elan for best deliverer of one-liners.

Shining Wrath
2016-10-31, 11:01 AM
Regarding the amulets, we can't discount the possibility of Frost Giant (anti)Paladins - although they, too, should have respectable will saves.
Fashion-wise, the notable thing about the giant who made his save is a fur cloak the others lack - perhaps a status symbol, as a Frost Giant doesn't need to be kept warm? Therefore, I guess that the remaining non-suggested giant is higher level (he seemed to be in charge in 1056) and the others may be acolytes or otherwise out of their league versus a 16th level wizard. The bog-standard frost giant has a Will Save of +3; the save DC for Mass Suggestion ought to be 10 + level (6) + V's Intelligence modifier (6? 7?). A no-class-levels giant, then, has probably a 5% or 10% chance of saving against V. The cleric with at least 5 cleric levels gets +4 or more on top of that.

Quibblicious
2016-10-31, 11:11 AM
Guys, in strip 1056 Haley and V talked about how they were flying around a bend, far ahead of the Mechane. They aren't visible because there's a mountain in the way.
Andi is still being a jerk, though, because half of the Order is standing visible on the deck (or were when last shown), and adventuring parties don't usually abandon each other, which she ought to know after serving with Captain Scoundrel for years. She's upset because she's not in charge, not because she has reasonable fears - although she may not realize it.

To pick a nit, she's upset because Bandana isn't doing things the way Andie thinks they ought to be done.

:smallsmile:

BTW, I have a soft spot for Andi (Andromeda), because my dog is named Andromeda and goes by Andi. It's a coincidence but, hey, you take what you can get :smallwink:

Q

factotum
2016-10-31, 11:13 AM

These are frost giants whose idea of comfortable temperatures is somewhere between a fridge and a freezer. For them, "Mild Spring Temperatures" would be about the same as a human being cursed to live in Death Valley--only it's never night and there's no respite from the heat!

Chei
2016-10-31, 11:16 AM
I see no indication that any of them except the one who passed the Will save are clerics, actually.

I mean, three of the four are wearing amulets, which seems to be the standard visual indication of cleric-ness.

CoffeeIncluded
2016-10-31, 11:18 AM
Hey, sometimes you just happen to roll like crap. Regardless, they do have a way out--back to the ship!

AutomatedTeller
2016-10-31, 11:26 AM
Great comic. I love all of it, except I can't really figure out why the axe changes hands in panel 7. It's pointing at the other giant in the panel before. Does he change hands as the suggestion takes effect, and then change back to attack Haley again?

Not that it matters or anything. Really fun comic - I love that V is smart about using magic efficiently, but the Giants find a loophole. I also love that Haley has taken 2 giant axes to the face and survived both. HP are a convenient abstraction, but they are absurd. I love that Rich doesn't even try to deal with the rationalizations - high level characters can just flat out handle giants hitting them with axes that would easily kill normal people.

IntelectPaladin
2016-10-31, 11:48 AM
Has anyone else noticed that a certain displeased someone is standing behind bandanna,
with a rather heavy wrench?
Giant, what curve balls have you next? Those which cause me fear?
Just a thought.
Thank you for reading this, and I hope you have a better day!

Kish
2016-10-31, 11:53 AM
Regarding the amulets, we can't discount the possibility of Frost Giant (anti)Paladins - although they, too, should have respectable will saves.
Observe the same Will save bonus as a barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/blackguard.htm). Dark Blessing doesn't do that much (particularly for a character with mook stats who needs Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom too; frost giants don't get a racial Charisma bonus and those giants don't look particularly charismatic to me).

Shining Wrath
2016-10-31, 11:58 AM
Observe the same Will save bonus as a barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/blackguard.htm). Dark Blessing doesn't do that much (particularly for a character with mook stats who needs Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom too; frost giants don't get a racial Charisma bonus and those giants don't look particularly charismatic to me).

If the amulet wearers all be clerics, I believe the leader has more levels therein. However the amulet wearers might be mere acolytes or other no-class-levels giants.

ti'esar
2016-10-31, 12:28 PM
Ouch. Poor Haley.

Edit: On the "clerics?" issue, V at least seems to think so, given that V referred to the unaffected giant as the remaining cleric.

Darth Paul
2016-10-31, 12:29 PM
V is now my role model.

I only hope that in my real life, where I'm well known for being pedantic, someone will one day bemoan that I was not pedantic enough.

JoeyTheNeko
2016-10-31, 12:36 PM
andi is gonna cause the ship issues to boil over soon. hopefully she is put in her place. because what she IS doing is showing she doesn't trust Julio, her normal captains, judgement, which had him put bandana in charge.
bandana. not andi. this is gonna come to a head soon. look forward to it.

Anarion
2016-10-31, 12:48 PM
While V's immediate fail isn't helping with the cleric fight, I do hope it at least comes around later and lets the ship get through so that V and Haley can withdraw. I'm actually worried, though, that Andi will be dumb enough on the airship to mess up the ongoing spell. Or if not that, then her sowing discord will disrupt something else that will ruin a perfectly good escape plan before this is over. Although what I'd like to see is Bandana stepping it up and leading really well to quash this whole thing.

aurilee
2016-10-31, 01:09 PM
On the clerics question...

Both Haley and V have identified that group collectively as "Clerics".

Most likely the guy in the furs is the highest ranking priest in their clan (his garb is similar to the high priest at the Godsmoot), and he's probably (IMO) the OotS equivalent of a Jarl. The other two (mace and axe users) are likely lower level priests who work/study under him.

So these are low level clerics going up against a high level wizard. I don't see why it's so surprising that they failed a will save.

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-10-31, 01:25 PM
Hmmm, I feel that Andi is being more than a little uncharitable here. I mean, yes, two of them have zoomed ahead, but a couple members of OOTS are still there, and Belkar is still on the ground.

Meanwhile, it's such a pity that Vaarsuvius did not succeed there. Especially as that really looked like it hier for Haley.

warmachine
2016-10-31, 01:34 PM
The trouble with pedantic suggestions is they tend to be long and complex. You can make them broad and all encompassing but that risks seeming unreasonable. In this case, it's reasonable to ignore a ship of humans not going anywhere near anything you care about and flying away, but this might not apply to strange humans close by.

I say it's better to use a safe suggestion to protect the vulnerable ship and run/sneak away than risk the suggestion failing completely.

Basement Cat
2016-10-31, 01:50 PM
Has anyone else noticed that a certain displeased someone is standing behind bandanna,

Hrmmm...that I didn't notice.

Andi's definitely panicking, but attacking the acting Captain would unquestionably be an act of mutiny, and even if a large part of the crew agreed with her I doubt a fairly high level NPC like Bandana would just go down from a single blow to the head (though for the sake of drama one could argue for it, of course).

What did catch my attention was Bandana's annoyed question "What is it now?". Many posters here have been assuming that Bandana might be the one in trouble if Andi tries to usurp Bandana's authority but how many have given thought of Bandana's bringing the hammer down (rhetorically speaking) on Andi?

Seriously, the crew is obviously worried and that could leave them far less inclined towards heeding Andi's panic. Mid battle is the absolute worst time for a conflict within the chain of command, particularly aboard a naval vessel where the chain of command is typically far more stringent than with ground based (infantry) units.

Andi is the ship's Chief Engineer but Bandana is the ship's acting Captain who was put into the position of command by the ship's Owner and standing Captain.

Does anyone think Julian would take kindly to his crew turning up and admitting they'd taken part in a mutiny against his appointed Captain? :smallconfused:

If anything I suspect that Andi is the one who's standing on the thinnest ice, here.

My thoughts, anyway.

Blatt
2016-10-31, 02:13 PM
Haley must be sooo embarassed - she's being taken out by a giant wearing Uggs! :smallbiggrin:

Ruck
2016-10-31, 02:15 PM
Hrmmm...that I didn't notice.

Andi's definitely panicking, but attacking the acting Captain would unquestionably be an act of mutiny, and even if a large part of the crew agreed with her I doubt a fairly high level NPC like Bandana would just go down from a single blow to the head (though for the sake of drama one could argue for it, of course).
Even if she did, Roy is right there, and he's by far the strongest physical character on the ship. I think he'd be able to put a pretty quick end to a mutiny.

It does feel like Andi's dissent is being emphasized here, which may end up coming to a head at some point... but I don't think it's going to be while they're flying through this pass.

Shining Wrath
2016-10-31, 02:26 PM
Disrupting the chain of command during a battle where people are trying to kill you is really seriously dumb. I don't think Andi is dumb. If I were a crew member otherwise sympathetic to Andi vice Bandanna, I'd tell her "now is not the time".

Dr.Zero
2016-10-31, 05:17 PM
Disrupting the chain of command during a battle where people are trying to kill you is really seriously dumb.

While usually this is true, this is a different case.

Specifically an "Attack! Attack! Attack!" (well "Go on! Go on! Go on!") on a quasi-suicidal mission.
We are almost on the good and heroic version of RedCloak who replied to the hobgoblin's general -who was pointing out the heavy casualties- to say to the men to suck it up.

I restate that strategically the best course of action for the safeness of the ship and the crew -apocalypse notwithstanding- if they cannot move over the ambush quickly (and they apparently cannot, and Bandana should have known) would have been to stop right there after the first hit, turn back, and saying to the high level heroes: "Take some of our healing potions, cast some fly spells, clean the ground from the enemies, and then reembark and we will bring you at destination. If you can't do that... well, sorry, we will take our risk with your "apocalypse", remaining alive in the meantime. Because, you know, my crew is formed by pirates, not philanthropies and I don't think the 200gp will keep them in line if they must face a death situation."

Basement Cat
2016-10-31, 05:27 PM
I restate that strategically the best course of action for the safeness of the ship and the crew -apocalypse notwithstanding- if they cannot move over the ambush quickly (and they apparently cannot, and Bandana should have known) would have been to stop right there after the first hit, turn back, and saying to the high level heroes: "Take some of our healing potions, cast some fly spells, clean the ground from the enemies, and then reembark and we will bring you at destination. If you can't do that... well, sorry, we will take our risk with your "apocalypse", remaining alive in the meantime. Because, you know, my crew is formed by pirates, not philanthropies and I don't think the 200gp will keep them in line if they must face a death situation."

Your tactical plan reminds me of something Han Solo would come up with in Darths and Droids. :smalltongue:

ti'esar
2016-10-31, 06:18 PM
To be honest, if merely getting fired upon by giants is enough to prompt mutiny, these guys may not be cut out for the sky pirate life.

Kish
2016-10-31, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'm mystified that anyone thinks Andi has a valid point here. It seems obvious to me that she's on page "anything that points to 'Bandana should step down as acting captain and hand it over to me' is valid, no matter how far I have to stretch for it."

zimmerwald1915
2016-10-31, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I'm mystified that anyone thinks Andi has a valid point here. It seems obvious to me that she's on page "anything that points to 'Bandana should step down as acting captain and hand it over to me' is valid, no matter how far I have to stretch for it."
Valid point or not, there is little to suggest she isn't speaking in good faith. That is, she probably believes what she says, and isn't putting up a front to seem reasonable while plotting petty plots.

8BitNinja
2016-10-31, 06:39 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the lady who said that Frost Giant Hell doesn't sound too bad. Though this brings up a question...does each god/race have its own set of afterlives, or their own special places within the planes, or what?

If that's the case, who get's the normal afterlives? Can a plane be placed under cease and desist?

St Fan
2016-10-31, 07:22 PM
Great comic. I love all of it, except I can't really figure out why the axe changes hands in panel 7. It's pointing at the other giant in the panel before. Does he change hands as the suggestion takes effect, and then change back to attack Haley again?

Why the giant's hands seem to be changing position on the axe is a phenomenon known as Ambidextrous Sprite (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmbidextrousSprite).

Jay R
2016-10-31, 07:24 PM
Not pedantic enough.
Vaarsuvius.

Giant, you continue to amaze.

stsasser
2016-10-31, 07:28 PM

Andi is supplying the necessary dramatic subplot. Do you think this mutiny is going to organize itself?? :elan:

Kareasint
2016-10-31, 08:26 PM
Nice spell choice to take out a larger number of the clerics. The DC on the save is fairly high and even if the giants have a better than average WIS and a fair number of levels in Cleric, there is still a good chance that they fail the save.

Of course, the wording can come back to bite you if you do not have it phrased correctly.

IamWeasel
2016-10-31, 09:04 PM
I don't much care for Andi's character anymore. I had some sympathy for her, but she has worn it away.

I am pretty anxious for Haley's well being. V needs to get her out of there.

Herr Doktor
2016-11-01, 02:57 AM
These are frost giants whose idea of comfortable temperatures is somewhere between a fridge and a freezer. For them, "Mild Spring Temperatures" would be about the same as a human being cursed to live in Death Valley--only it's never night and there's no respite from the heat!

Actually, frost giants don't suffer damage vulnerability to heat or fire (at least in 5e). They're immune to cold, which allows them to live in frigid temps, but they don't HAVE to live there. I've always wanted to throw my players for a loop by shipwrecking them on a nice sandy beach, where they encounter frost giants who moved south for the winter ... :)

Anyway, the frost giant in the strip was probably expressing his personal preference about comfortable temperatures under the swirly eyes effect of the suggestion spell, something he would never do (because of social convention, the wrath of Thrymm, etc.) under normal circumstances.

Killer Angel
2016-11-01, 03:23 AM
...as if Blackwing would need another reason to mock V... :smallbiggrin:

Lathund
2016-11-01, 03:43 AM
That second WHAM was comedy gold :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Zero
2016-11-01, 05:15 AM
To be honest, if merely getting fired upon by giants is enough to prompt mutiny, these guys may not be cut out for the sky pirate life.

Eh, maybe their usual prey is another airship full of aristocrats with a single bad villain who duels with their high level captain for the love of a damsel in distress.

In D&D world I don't see too many reasons for high (or even just middle) level groups to use an airship (teleport, wind walk, if they aren't too much in a rush or you don't know the place, are the first obvious solutions) so I suppose they didn't face big air battles.

For what we have seen they were cool against a couple of catapults, and a completely free path, when they went to Azure City, here they cannot move fast and are facing tens of hits. They are practically the proverbial sitting duck.

Valid point or not, there is little to suggest she isn't speaking in good faith. That is, she probably believes what she says, and isn't putting up a front to seem reasonable while plotting petty plots.

Even more, if she is speaking in good faith (I think so, but anyway...) or simply trying to undercut Bandana's authority, she has a valid point here: Bandana brought them in the middle of an ambush they are unable to face and didn't think to retreat immediately.

JSSheridan
2016-11-01, 05:24 AM
Thanks Giant!

Lombard
2016-11-01, 06:32 AM
A rare appearance of the word pedantic in a non-pedantic context!

Also, always make your offensive casters neutral. Always. You think those swirly-eyed giants weren't rocking prot from good? Think again.

Kish
2016-11-01, 07:22 AM
Anyway, the frost giant in the strip was probably expressing his personal preference about comfortable temperatures under the swirly eyes effect of the suggestion spell, something he would never do (because of social convention, the wrath of Thrymm, etc.) under normal circumstances.
She probably uses female pronouns.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-11-01, 08:34 AM
Actually, frost giants don't suffer damage vulnerability to heat or fire (at least in 5e). They're immune to cold, which allows them to live in frigid temps, but they don't HAVE to live there. I've always wanted to throw my players for a loop by shipwrecking them on a nice sandy beach, where they encounter frost giants who moved south for the winter ... :)

The OotS world (mostly) runs off of 3.5, in which Frost Giants, having the Cold Subtype, very much do have vulnerability to fire.

Quibblicious
2016-11-01, 08:40 AM
Giant, what curve balls have you next? Those which cause me fear?
Just a thought.
Thank you for reading this, and I hope you have a better day!

Nice spot. Checkhov's gun is loaded, perhaps...

Q

Quibblicious
2016-11-01, 08:46 AM
Disrupting the chain of command during a battle where people are trying to kill you is really seriously dumb. I don't think Andi is dumb. If I were a crew member otherwise sympathetic to Andi vice Bandanna, I'd tell her "now is not the time".

People in panic situations don't panic because they're dumb, they get overwhelmed and panic because they can't see the outcomes through the myriad possibilities and kick into fight or flight hardcore. It's pure amygdala driven emotion, not rationality.

Andi is pushing hard for flight; if it doesn't happen she may drop into fight mode, with the one she fights being to one she sees as endangering her -- Bandana. It's misplaced, but it's happened both historically and fictionally.

Q

Quibblicious
2016-11-01, 08:48 AM
If that's the case, who get's the normal afterlives? Can a plane be placed under cease and desist?

Only if it's a lawful plane. Neutrals will take it under consideration, and chaotics will just laugh and laugh and laugh...

Q

Hamste
2016-11-01, 08:56 AM

Q

There is two high level PC near by though. She can't really try anything until they leave the ship (well she could but she should realize the whole crew probably couldn't deal with Roy and Elan even if Roy and Elan used non-lethal force unless they are significantly higher level than they look). The best she can do is hold Bandana hostage (...with a wrench) and try to force Roy and Elan to stand down while they turn around.

Shining Wrath
2016-11-01, 08:56 AM
People in panic situations don't panic because they're dumb, they get overwhelmed and panic because they can't see the outcomes through the myriad possibilities and kick into fight or flight hardcore. It's pure amygdala driven emotion, not rationality.

Andi is pushing hard for flight; if it doesn't happen she may drop into fight mode, with the one she fights being to one she sees as endangering her -- Bandana. It's misplaced, but it's happened both historically and fictionally.

Q

Which leads back to the basis of the Andi-Bandana tension; Andi doesn't trust Bandana as a leader. If she trusted her judgment, her flight urge would not be as severe. So while I agree that panic is not rational, rational thought processes make you more or less susceptible.

Quibblicious
2016-11-01, 09:30 AM
Which leads back to the basis of the Andi-Bandana tension; Andi doesn't trust Bandana as a leader. If she trusted her judgment, her flight urge would not be as severe. So while I agree that panic is not rational, rational thought processes make you more or less susceptible.

I'll grant that, mainly because it strongly supports my statement :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, though, you are quite correct that emotional response (downstairs brain) can be modified via rational processes (upstairs brain).

When panic kicks in, though, it's all downstairs brain.

Q

P.S. Downstairs and upstairs brain are terms used in counseling to deal with strong emotions, with the core emotions being downstairs brain responses and rational thinking an upstairs brain response. I've been reading up on this recently for a variety of reasons.

Markozeta
2016-11-01, 09:37 AM
Andy is just watching Roy. Where is Roy? Not stopping a giant ax when he is needed. Why? He's stuck on a ship without a ranged weapon. It would be nice to see if that little subplot got resolved in this skirmish. It's not like we're going to see a second random encounter. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0145.html)

Great comic! Shiny Banner!

Keltest
2016-11-01, 10:04 AM

Q

While this is true, Andi isn't a novice to the crew or anything. She should have plenty of experience to draw on to keep her head in pressure situations, especially since her job as head engineer would involve a whole lot of those even when not immediately being attacked. Frankly, were I Julio reading this comic, Andi would mostly be making a good case for why she should never, ever, be allowed near the captain's chair.

Quibblicious
2016-11-01, 12:40 PM
While this is true, Andi isn't a novice to the crew or anything. She should have plenty of experience to draw on to keep her head in pressure situations, especially since her job as head engineer would involve a whole lot of those even when not immediately being attacked. Frankly, were I Julio reading this comic, Andi would mostly be making a good case for why she should never, ever, be allowed near the captain's chair.

I concur with your assessment of Julio's reaction. That said, Andi is in a situation where she sees no way out, not even retreat. When they attacked cities, or other apparently risky things, they always had a good chance of at least fleeing. Plus, they had Julio and his penchant for making his own luck. Now her trusted captain is gone, the situation looks hopeless to her, and the current captain refuses to relent.

That's not something she's prepared to accept. She sees it as a disaster.

Herr Doktor
2016-11-01, 01:14 PM
The OotS world (mostly) runs off of 3.5, in which Frost Giants, having the Cold Subtype, very much do have vulnerability to fire.

Ahhh, good catch. My bad.

Menarker
2016-11-01, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by ti'esar

Eh, maybe their usual prey is another airship full of aristocrats with a single bad villain who duels with their high level captain for the love of a damsel in distress.

In D&D world I don't see too many reasons for high (or even just middle) level groups to use an airship (teleport, wind walk, if they aren't too much in a rush or you don't know the place, are the first obvious solutions) so I suppose they didn't face big air battles.

For what we have seen they were cool against a couple of catapults, and a completely free path, when they went to Azure City, here they cannot move fast and are facing tens of hits. They are practically the proverbial sitting duck.

If we take the Julio Scoundrel story in the OotS side-book of "Snip, Snails and Dragon-Tails" to be canon, they have had prior experience to fighting monster armies in their bid to gain loot from tombs and the like. Thus, this is one of the reasons that Andi peeves me off. This should be "another tuesday" sort of situation for the crew, but Andi is spoiling for a mutiny just because she refuses to adapt to the various changes in command and operation. Changes that were effectively approved by the previous leader no less since he left the ship and the crew in the hands of the OotS (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0943.html)!

Edulahin
2016-11-01, 01:43 PM
I always feel like this comics comes out so slouly. If the art is not that complicated then why is so hard to move fowards with the story? I would love to read at least one per week if not 2.

Over all thanks for doing such a funny comic.

Peelee
2016-11-01, 02:16 PM
I always feel like this comics comes out so slouly. If the art is not that complicated then why is so hard to move fowards with the story? I would love to read at least one per week if not 2.

Something something complaints about free ice cream.

Artist has a lot more going on than Order of the Stick, is all I can say.

aurilee
2016-11-01, 02:26 PM

The character models may be "simplistic" but given the level of art and detail in the comics, it's a lot more complicated than you think. He still has to design and draw the backgrounds, block out every panel, apply effects for lighting etc. Not to mention the non-visual elements of creating the comic (writing the dialogue, story planning, character creation).

And yes, the author has more in his life than OotS. I assume you're a newer reader, so I don't blame you for not knowing this, but he's putting out as many comics per week as he can. It used to be very regular back in the day. But times change. Life marches on.

danielxcutter
2016-11-01, 04:44 PM
I'm not too familiar with how Suggestion works... but I think the loophole is saying not to attack the airship, not stop attacking, right? Sorry, just want to make sure.

Kish
2016-11-01, 04:49 PM
The less said about D&D Suggestion in reference to OotS, the better. In the comic, yes, the loophole is "they're not attacking the airship, they're attacking enemies on the ground."

davidbofinger
2016-11-01, 05:44 PM
Andi keeps saying Vaarsuvius will abandon her comrades. Is this a setup? Because we presume eventually Vaarsuvius will do just that, at least for a few minutes, because of the IFCC.

As for the class of their opponent: when something has the holy symbol that is normally diagnostic of a cleric, and someone else describes them as a cleric, it may in principle be possible they are something else, but the natural interpretation is that they are clerics.

8BitNinja
2016-11-01, 06:36 PM

Q

What rounds does Checkov's gun hold

Jasdoif
2016-11-01, 07:55 PM
What rounds does Checkov's gun holdWell, it goes off when the author gets around to it....So probably tuit rounds.

Quibblicious
2016-11-01, 10:51 PM
What rounds does Checkov's gun hold

As many as needed for the scene, as long as they're used.

Q

Quibblicious
2016-11-01, 10:52 PM
Well, it goes off when the author gets around to it....So probably tuit rounds.

Ooooo, I should've thought of that one.

Well played!

Q

TheNecrocomicon
2016-11-02, 07:48 AM
Andi keeps saying Vaarsuvius will abandon her comrades. Is this a setup? Because we presume eventually Vaarsuvius will do just that, at least for a few minutes, because of the IFCC.

Vaarsuvius' soul will certainly do that -- along with Blackwing, like last time -- but all that those on the mortal plane will see is their bodies plummeting inert to the ground and remaining protected from harm as per the fiends' own rules. So it would reasonably seem more to the pirates and anyone else uninformed that they both suddenly dropped dead when that wasn't really the case.

I speculate and hope that the fiends will be thwarted (at least momentarily) by someone deliberately "running out the clock" on the time remaining for their respective claims on Vaarsuvius' soul whenever one or more of them next tries to pull that trick at a critical moment. The fiends' plans went near-perfectly last time because they had the element of surprise; now the Order at least knows and are on their guard about it.

Kish
2016-11-02, 07:58 AM
What are you speculating the Order will do that will thwart the IFCC, now?

TheNecrocomicon
2016-11-02, 08:11 AM

I have no idea, I'm simply going from the narrative standpoint that Round 2 most likely won't play out the same as the first time. The critical difference is that now the Order knows about the fiends' plot and won't be taken wholly by surprise. If they can stall long enough, or get whoever they're fighting at the time to prioritize the need for preserving the world's existence, they might be able to run out the 23-or-so minutes that the fiends have left in order to neuter their hold over Vaarsuvius.

The fiends can't see the future, they're not omnipotent, and they're bound to mess up or get thwarted, even briefly, at some point. Consequently, the fiends might be forced to stick their necks out and intervene personally. At the same time, the Order are gradually approaching epic levels where they might be able to do something about the IFCC.

Hamste
2016-11-02, 08:21 AM

"Never do anything important again?"

Shining Wrath
2016-11-02, 09:01 AM
Well, it goes off when the author gets around to it....So probably tuit rounds.

What are your intentions for the Internet you just won?

zimmerwald1915
2016-11-02, 09:05 AM
Vaarsuvius' soul will certainly do that -- along with Blackwing, like last time -- but all that those on the mortal plane will see is their bodies plummeting inert to the ground and remaining protected from harm as per the fiends' own rules. So it would reasonably seem more to the pirates and anyone else uninformed that they both suddenly dropped dead when that wasn't really the case.
I could very well imagine that going wrong in the current circumstances. Say that Roy and Andi both see V drop from the sky, apparently dead. Roy, knowing what's going on but loath to tell Bandana about it,* presses her to stick around "just for a few minutes," so that V can rejoin the Mechane. Andi, who's already pressing Bandana to flee, turns even more firmly against the Order (remember, she has at least a cordial relationship with Roy, and he's been able to calm the crew's stirrings in the past with offers of gold). Bandana, caught between a rock and a hard place, elects to follow her original plan and keep flying. V is left well behind and, unable to teleport, cannot catch up to the Order. At least, not on her own . . .

* Alternatively, he's perfectly fine with telling Bandana. He told the crew about Durkon, after all. But this still goes wrong. After harboring a vampire, who betrayed them and whose minion damaged the ship, a hell-bound elf might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

That's just the current circumstances. I doubt the Directors are going to intervene here. But if suddenly removing V could result in profoundly negative consequences for the Order here, of all circumstances, it probably isn't good for them under any circumstances.

Keltest
2016-11-02, 09:13 AM
I could very well imagine that going wrong in the current circumstances. Say that Roy and Andi both see V drop from the sky, apparently dead. Roy, knowing what's going on but loath to tell Bandana about it,* presses her to stick around "just for a few minutes," so that V can rejoin the Mechane. Andi, who's already pressing Bandana to flee, turns even more firmly against the Order (remember, she has at least a cordial relationship with Roy, and he's been able to calm the crew's stirrings in the past with offers of gold). Bandana, caught between a rock and a hard place, elects to follow her original plan and keep flying. V is left well behind and, unable to teleport, cannot catch up to the Order. At least, not on her own . . .

* Alternatively, he's perfectly fine with telling Bandana. He told the crew about Durkon, after all. But this still goes wrong. After harboring a vampire, who betrayed them and whose minion damaged the ship, a hell-bound elf might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

That's just the current circumstances. I doubt the Directors are going to intervene here. But if suddenly removing V could result in profoundly negative consequences for the Order here, of all circumstances, it probably isn't good for them under any circumstances.

While I doubt that the fiends would elect to use their time on this encounter, were they to do so, Roy only needs to say that V has a curse on them that causes them to lose control of their body for a few minutes, and that they need someone (like Haley) who can go scoop him up and deposit him on deck. Elaborating on the nature of the curse brings no benefit and would just alarm people.

Quebbster
2016-11-02, 10:34 AM
I see Little reason for the IFCC to interfere at this Point - after all, they don't want either side to win. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html) Interfering with the Order now could mean Hel's plan succeeds, the World is destroyed, and all their schemes need to be restarted. Not a good result.

GM_3826
2016-11-02, 12:08 PM
I see Little reason for the IFCC to interfere at this Point - after all, they don't want either side to win. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html) Interfering with the Order now could mean Hel's plan succeeds, the World is destroyed, and all their schemes need to be restarted. Not a good result.

There's no proof that Hel and her newfound cult is friends with Team Evil, though. It's quite possible that the IFCC are allies of Hel, and they want the OOTS to lose right now.

Shining Wrath
2016-11-02, 01:10 PM
There's no proof that Hel and her newfound cult is friends with Team Evil, though. It's quite possible that the IFCC are allies of Hel, and they want the OOTS to lose right now.

OotS losing = Hel winning = Destruction of the world.
Are fiends part of the world, or part of their respective afterlife planes?
Hel's plan depends on all the souls of the dwarves coming to her domain, so the outer planes have to persist - but it's not clear to me that means that angels / fiends / devas are exempt from destruction. It'd take some dedicated, loyal fiends to further a plan that results in their annihilation - not death, mind, but utter oblivion.

Assuming they don't have to fear annihilation, we still don't know what their goals are, other than evil dudes doing evil stuff, evilly. Destruction of the world probably doesn't advance the plans of LE, NE, and CE, all at once.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-11-02, 01:38 PM
Other than the usual benefit of all of the people who end up in the Lower Planes because they never had time to undo their Evil actions, or at least get enough Good ones (or Neutral) to get sent elsewhere.

Grey_Wolf_c
2016-11-02, 02:01 PM
Other than the usual benefit of all of the people who end up in the Lower Planes because they never had time to undo their Evil actions, or at least get enough Good ones (or Neutral) to get sent elsewhere.

... which in a universe in which every alignment is roughly equivalent to every other, will be mostly matched by all the people who would have sinned later on and therefore would be lucky to die right now while their balances are not yet tipped towards the ventral planes.

GW

nleseul
2016-11-02, 03:35 PM
I have no idea, I'm simply going from the narrative standpoint that Round 2 most likely won't play out the same as the first time. The critical difference is that now the Order knows about the fiends' plot and won't be taken wholly by surprise. If they can stall long enough, or get whoever they're fighting at the time to prioritize the need for preserving the world's existence, they might be able to run out the 23-or-so minutes that the fiends have left in order to neuter their hold over Vaarsuvius.

Or, if they see V suddenly become incapacitated, the Order can draw the conclusion that whatever V was about to do was really important for some reason and see to it that it gets done anyway.

For that reason, the IFCC really need to plan their time so that V is alone and out of anyone's view at the time. The custody at Girard's Gate worked out so well for them because no one knew where V was.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-11-02, 09:07 PM
If the audience doesn't get invested in the Mechane's crew and their struggles, they lose some of their most critical defenses.

Next, in adventuring news, a special report on a combat happening in the mountains.
It appears that a party of adventurers and a conveniently-chartered endgame airship are fighting a group of ice giants! The party rogue has found herself in melee combat with a group of the giants, including one unruly fellow with an axe that would take a whole team of half-orc barbarians to so much as lift. How did she get into this situation, and why hasn't she left? Let's hear what the lady herself has to say on the subject. Haley?
http://i68.tinypic.com/5wxwqr.png : ...
Fascinating! Back to you, Judy.

I mean, it's a joke.

People from northern climates often have a tough time in temperatures that people from southern climates find mild. The giantess then double-subverts this by agreeing with the common sense view that mild temperatures are nice.
Wouldn't people from northern climates not generally call weather they feel unusually warm in "mild"?

Which, strangely, doesn't come with an inherent weakness to warm weather. And being immune to cold weather only came up in sourcebooks—early, by RAW, the (cold) subtype only protected you from cold weather once it got bad enough to deal cold damage.

Changes that were effectively approved by the previous leader no less since he left the ship and the crew in the hands of the OotS (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0943.html)!
Assuming Julio didn't ask Elan to keep quiet about that to build dramatic tension, there's a long history of people ignoring questionable (in their opinion) last-minute succession decisions under stressful situations.

Assuming they don't have to fear annihilation, we still don't know what their goals are, other than evil dudes doing evil stuff, evilly. Destruction of the world probably doesn't advance the plans of LE, NE, and CE, all at once.
Well, we know they want the Blood War to end. It's hard to see how Hel's plan could help advance that, though.

Andi is wrong and there's no way to think she'd be right

While I do think she is wrong overall, and that she should hold her tongue at this point, I see where she's coming from. This group of adventurers is dragging the Mechane through a bunch of dangerous, isolated wilderness areas—after apparently causing the old captain to abandon ship—and now two of their most powerful members (or at least the only ones capable of doing much against the giants) have seemingly abandoned the Mechane to its fate without so much as explaining their plan. I'd be concerned, too, if I wasn't on the safe side of the fourth wall. I suspect I'd be even more concerned if I doubted Bandana's leadership ability in general, not just in these sorts of situations, the way Andi seems to.

F.Harr
2016-11-02, 09:20 PM
Quick! More pedantry!

And get Belkar in there to do something about that spare claric!

keybounce
2016-11-02, 10:07 PM
Given V's past actions, I'm surprised the suggestion wasn't something like, "I suggest you each read these instructional guides". Or would explosive ruins take them out?

8BitNinja
2016-11-02, 10:34 PM
As many as needed for the scene, as long as they're used.

Q

No, I mean the type of round, as in the caliber, such as 9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56mm NATO, 7.62mm Tokarev, etc.

Jasdoif
2016-11-03, 02:24 AM
What are your intentions for the Internet you just won?Establish a covert banana scrying network...except since I just mentioned it, maybe an overt banana scrying network instead. It still has a bunch of a peel.

I suspect I'd be even more concerned if I doubted Bandana's leadership ability in general, not just in these sorts of situations, the way Andi seems to. I think the larger issue is that Bandana doesn't truly have (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1028.html) the crew's respect (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1055.html); Andi is just particularly vocal.

Kish
2016-11-03, 05:50 AM
Given V's past actions, I'm surprised the suggestion wasn't something like, "I suggest you each read these instructional guides". Or would explosive ruins take them out?
If Vaarsuvius is no longer assuming they're all immune to fire, 6d6 force damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm), even against the one who didn't get a save, would be markedly inferior to 10d6 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireball.htm)x1.5 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#vulnerabilitytoEnergy) damage, reflex save for half, and unless Vaarsuvius is assuming that they must have buffed themselves not just against fire but against all elements, it would compare badly to 10d6 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/lightningBolt.htm) reflex save for half as well.

Quibblicious
2016-11-03, 08:17 AM
Establish a covert banana scrying network...except since I just mentioned it, maybe an overt banana scrying network instead. It still has a bunch of a peel.

I think the larger issue is that Bandana doesn't truly have (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1028.html) the crew's respect (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1055.html); Andi is just particularly vocal.

Does anyone else read Bandana's lines in the voice of Sandy Squirrel from Spongebob Squarepants?

I know i do...

Q

Rogar Demonblud
2016-11-03, 09:42 AM
Best use I've ever seen for a Suggestion spell involved telling a roomful of guards to go play canasta. Maybe V should try that next time.:smallwink:

GreatWyrmGold
2016-11-03, 11:18 AM
I think the larger issue is that Bandana doesn't truly have (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1028.html) the crew's respect (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1055.html); Andi is just particularly vocal.
True. The doubt seems to be crew-wide rather than Andi-specific.

Best use I've ever seen for a Suggestion spell involved telling a roomful of guards to go play canasta. Maybe V should try that next time.:smallwink:
Suggestions for the target to do something are usually better than ones to not do something. Of course, de facto domination (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0183.html) is better still.

8BitNinja
2016-11-03, 07:48 PM
Does anyone else read Bandana's lines in the voice of Sandy Squirrel from Spongebob Squarepants?

I know i do...

Q

This is a new one

Quibbilcious, what did you do all day when you where in Bard College?

Quibblicious
2016-11-03, 10:44 PM
This is a new one

Quibbilcious, what did you do all day when you where in Bard College?

Watched a LOT of Sponge Bob.

He's a genius...

Q

toapat
2016-11-04, 10:56 AM

well, if we just extrapolate out the logic: Frost giants still need food to survive, but they dont like warm. Mild spring lets them grow crops while their domiciles would renain nice and cold for the frost giants, providing the kind of environment they need without the shear brutal struggle to survive.

Ironically, they described Frost Giant Heaven

Peelee
2016-11-04, 11:09 AM
well, if we just extrapolate out the logic: Frost giants still need food to survive, but they dont like warm. Mild spring lets them grow crops while their domiciles would renain nice and cold for the frost giants, providing the kind of environment they need without the shear brutal struggle to survive.

Ironically, they described Frost Giant Heaven

Mild spring makes all the white dragons leave, and then frost giants can't eat white dragon meat. Frost Giant Hell.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-11-04, 01:40 PM

He's a genius...

Q

First Jar Jar's a genius, and now SpongeBob. Next you'll be telling me Elan has a PhD in Theoretical Physics.

littlebum2002
2016-11-04, 02:14 PM
First Jar Jar's a genius, and now SpongeBob. Next you'll be telling me Elan has a PhD in Theoretical Physics.

Actually (https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/14adxx/spongebob_squarepants_is_perhaps_the_most_gifted/), that is a legitimate fan theory

Quibblicious
2016-11-04, 02:46 PM

I never attributed anything to Jar Jar other than spite. Of all the characters in all the movies in all the worlds, they had to make *him*.

I thought George Lucas had begun to lose it with the Ewoks (it was originally supposed to be wookies), but after Ewoks came Willow and all its silliness, making me realize that one great series of movies didn't guarantee future results.

Then Jar Jar bumbles into one of my all time favorite franchises and turns a possibly great tale into stupid slapstick.

There are theories on the Interwebs that Jar Jar was actually evil and was a Sith... and they're right. It taught me the greatest truth about evil:

Evil isn't always smart, and it doesn't always have an English accent.

Q
Who is now angry about Jar Jar Binks almost 20 years after he was introduced, disappointing and angering millions.

Jasdoif
2016-11-04, 03:28 PM
I never attributed anything to Jar Jar other than spite. Of all the characters in all the movies in all the worlds, they had to make *him*.

I thought George Lucas had begun to lose it with the Ewoks (it was originally supposed to be wookies), but after Ewoks came Willow and all its silliness, making me realize that one great series of movies didn't guarantee future results.

Then Jar Jar bumbles into one of my all time favorite franchises and turns a possibly great tale into stupid slapstick.

There are theories on the Interwebs that Jar Jar was actually evil and was a Sith... and they're right. It taught me the greatest truth about evil:

Q
Who is now angry about Jar Jar Binks almost 20 years after he was introduced, disappointing and angering millions.The Phantom Menace left a fair bit to be desired, including Jar Jar...it's a testament to The Clone Wars that it managed to make Jar Jar relate-able by portraying him as sort of an idiot savant.

Peelee
2016-11-04, 03:30 PM

I thought George Lucas had begun to lose it with the Ewoks (it was originally supposed to be wookies)

Wookiees. Two Es. I'm on a spelling kick today, it seems.

JumboWheat01
2016-11-04, 03:57 PM

I just think you're fascinated by pairs of Es.

Peelee
2016-11-04, 04:03 PM
I just think you're fascinated by pairs of Es.

Don't tell my wife.

Kish
2016-11-04, 04:44 PM
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0122.html

danielxcutter
2016-11-04, 07:32 PM
Seriously, how does a discussion about the afterlife of Frost Giants rapidly shift to Spongebob and Star Wars in the space of five posts?

Oh right... that's actually slow for this forum, right? :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2016-11-04, 07:42 PM
Seriously, how does a discussion about the afterlife of Frost Giants rapidly shift to Spongebob and Star Wars in the space of five posts?The Star Wars part is easy to explain: the pass is very Hoth-like (Hoth-ish?), and the mild spring temperatures would be closer to Endor's moon. Walkers fared quite a bit better in the movies on Hoth, and of course the frost giants can walk.

Coincidence? ALMOST CERTAINLY! BUT I'LL PRETEND OTHERWISE TO MAINTAIN DRAMATIC TENSION!

danielxcutter
2016-11-04, 07:49 PM
The Star Wars part is easy to explain: the pass is very Hoth-like (Hoth-ish?), and the mild spring temperatures would be closer to Endor's moon. Walkers fared quite a bit better in the movies on Hoth, and of course the frost giants can walk.

Coincidence? ALMOST CERTAINLY! BUT I'LL PRETEND OTHERWISE TO MAINTAIN DRAMATIC TENSION!

Someone's been taking lessons at Tarquin's Academy for Bards, Heroes, and Evil Overlords.

Jasdoif
2016-11-04, 07:51 PM
Someone's been taking lessons at Tarquin's Academy for Bards, Heroes, and Evil Overlords.Maybe that's how Spongebob factors into this....

danielxcutter
2016-11-04, 07:53 PM
Maybe that's how Spongebob factors into this....

Heh... if my sig wasn't already full I might have added that.

Qaanol
2016-11-04, 09:07 PM

Actually (https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/), that’s a legitimate fan theory.

Thrillhouse
2016-11-04, 10:46 PM
Not to derail the entirely-on-topic discussion, but is anyone else expecting an imminent mutiny on the Mechane?

8BitNinja
2016-11-04, 11:17 PM

He's a genius...

Q

I recall the legends of SpongeBob. As a young lad, my father would tell me of his great feats

You're a genius now

dtilque
2016-11-05, 12:22 AM

Doesn't evil usually have an eastern European accent?

Kish
2016-11-05, 12:35 AM
Not to derail the entirely-on-topic discussion, but is anyone else expecting an imminent mutiny on the Mechane?
No. No one at all.

danielxcutter
2016-11-05, 12:43 AM
No. No one at all.

No offense, but I think that was a bit harsh. I'm not expecting a full-blown mutiny in 20 strips or so, either, but I am sure that it's coming soon, just not right away.

Edit: Sorry.

Kish
2016-11-05, 11:44 AM
That's...wow. Are you actually expecting me to take anything from that post but that you have an issue with me and would like me to be humbled by this? I'd suggest you put me on ignore.

danielxcutter
2016-11-05, 05:44 PM
That's...wow. Are you actually expecting me to take anything from that post but that you have an issue with me and would like me to be humbled by this? I'd suggest you put me on ignore.

Ooookaaay, looks like I rolled a 1 on that Diplomacy roll.

I'm sorry. I was annoyed with you speaking like that, but that doesn't justify what I said. That Charisma jab was really low, and I never should have thought of doing that in the first place. Stupid me, never thinking about what I say...

JumboWheat01
2016-11-05, 05:48 PM
Ooookaaay, looks like I rolled a 1 on that Diplomacy roll.

I'm sorry. I was annoyed with you speaking like that, but that doesn't justify what I said. That Charisma jab was really low, and I never should have thought of doing that in the first place. Stupid me, never thinking about what I say...

Looks like you fell into the same trap many Paladins do from time-to-time, holding others to the same standards that you have to hold yourself to. It's okay, happens to the best Paladins. As long as you don't let such a thing consume you like it did...

:miko:...

What?

8BitNinja
2016-11-06, 02:30 AM
Looks like you fell into the same trap many Paladins do from time-to-time, holding others to the same standards that you have to hold yourself to. It's okay, happens to the best Paladins. As long as you don't let such a thing consume you like it did...

:miko:...

What?

I don't hold people to my standards, I try to get them to the point where I can.

What? Is that wrong too? :smallbiggrin:

GM_3826
2016-11-06, 05:40 AM
Paladins should hold people to the same standards they hold themselves to, its just that they cannot go overboard. Look at it this way: prodding someone to do the right thing is great because then they are going to do the right thing. Forcing them is dumb, and (depending on HOW you force them), even evil.

Quibblicious
2016-11-07, 08:59 AM

Good catch. I'm usually pedantic enough to catch that.

Q

Quibblicious
2016-11-07, 09:03 AM
Doesn't evil usually have an eastern European accent?

Not the top notch evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7gR7EYjcP8

Q

KorvinStarmast
2016-11-07, 09:21 AM
I'd love to see Roy go all samurai on Andi if she starts trying to take over the ship. Sadly, being Roy, he's less likely to do that then talk to her for about 5 frames ... talky man sometimes wears on the reader.

Edulahin
2016-11-10, 11:34 AM
The character models may be "simplistic" but given the level of art and detail in the comics, it's a lot more complicated than you think. He still has to design and draw the backgrounds, block out every panel, apply effects for lighting etc. Not to mention the non-visual elements of creating the comic (writing the dialogue, story planning, character creation).

And yes, the author has more in his life than OotS. I assume you're a newer reader, so I don't blame you for not knowing this, but he's putting out as many comics per week as he can. It used to be very regular back in the day. But times change. Life marches on.

yeah, you are right, it may not be as simple as I think. But still i feel like i cant get enough of it. I think that its just how much i like it. Maybe i should come back to it in a year and just read it all in one sitting like i did witht he first 1000 :D

Its really good.