PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Magic Items changing size?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-31, 10:48 AM
So I have group with a bear warrior who wants to get some magical items that will work in bear form and human form. So going to a large creature anything that can't be worn by the new form absorbs into the shape Change? Is there a way to have items grow with the character when he changes? I mean we thought about putting enlarge on the items through an activation word but if each takes an action it would take awhile and combat would be over a lot of the time.

Segev
2016-10-31, 11:01 AM
So I have group with a bear warrior who wants to get some magical items that will work in bear form and human form. So going to a large creature anything that can't be worn by the new form absorbs into the shape Change? Is there a way to have items grow with the character when he changes? I mean we thought about putting enlarge on the items through an activation word but if each takes an action it would take awhile and combat would be over a lot of the time.

Look for an item called "Wilding Clasps." I think they're in the MIC, or possibly in the druid-flavored book.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-31, 12:15 PM
That's possible for a neck or vest item. thanks. although will it also change size? and is there anything else for say like bracers of armor to not meld and change size without having them enlarge prior to the change shape occurring?

Segev
2016-10-31, 12:19 PM
Since magic items automatically resize to fit the wearer, I think most shapeshifting effects specify that the items which no longer fit are the ones which merge. So if you lose the body slot, essentially. But you can keep your bracers if your new form has arms, for example. (I think.)

Bronk
2016-10-31, 12:21 PM
Since magic items automatically resize to fit the wearer, I think most shapeshifting effects specify that the items which no longer fit are the ones which merge. So if you lose the body slot, essentially. But you can keep your bracers if your new form has arms, for example. (I think.)

I think the only things that don't resize are regular body slot armor, and weapons.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-31, 12:39 PM
What book does the rules about magic items changing shape come from?

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-31, 01:28 PM
What book does the rules about magic items changing shape come from?

Page 213 of the DMG. Note that it only applies to clothing and jewelry items, not armor or weapons.

Look for an item called "Wilding Clasps." I think they're in the MIC, or possibly in the druid-flavored book.

That's a good house rule... but as-written, Wilding Clasps only work for a Wild Shape user.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-31, 02:58 PM
Right where it says jewelry etc shouldn't matter based on size:) I got it. So something like a Bracer should resize as long as the changed shape be it humanoid or animal has an arm slot. like a lion or bear could wear one but a dolphin shouldn't:)

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-31, 03:02 PM
Shapesand barding.

Maybe a shadowsmith, but that would take too many levels and isnt very good.

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-31, 04:52 PM
So something like a Bracer should resize as long as the changed shape be it humanoid or animal has an arm slot. like a lion or bear could wear one but a dolphin shouldn't:)

Exactly right.