PDA

View Full Version : The Festival of Purifying Light (Chosen of the Tagma Agiōs)

Genth
2016-10-31, 07:13 PM
Please Listen as you read :) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-HQ3ZPsMmg)

The summit of the Golden Fortress is at a high enough altitude that clouds form against its walls, swirling and breaking against the golden rock like waves against the cliffs, adding to the impression that this is a world apart from the one below, separated by an ethereal ocean. Instead of warlike battlements (for what risk is there of an enemy climbing these walls?) the top of the Fortress is a great plaza, save one that is missing its middle. The 20-foot thick walls are topped with marble tiles, inlaid with mother-of-pearl designs, describing a circle nearly 400 feet across. Beneath, the inside of the fortress is like an inverted thimble, walkways and balconies enjoying the light that streams down from the noonday sun, the construction of the edifice cleverly shot through with crystal to provide soft sunlight almost the full day with little of the ferocious radiance that one would expect, so exposed to the sun as the Fortress is. On a normal day, the top of the Fortress is left open, the warm air from below rising and allowing cooler air to maintain the temperate climate within. On this day, however, a hemisphere of silver, 300 feet across, floats level with the walls, nine arching bridges of wood and vines connecting it to the walls. The flat silver top of the hemisphere is moulded into cobblestone-like bumps, creating a plaza of shimmering, bright metal that isn't so slippery as to send people plummeting down into the bowls of the fortress. The plaza is covered with tables, chairs, dancing spaces, standing torches of both fire and glowing silver, plantlife, ice sculptures, roasting pits, in a cacophony of cultures and party-like items that ought to clash, but somehow make for a welcoming and indeed beautiful setting. The marble-tiled walls are also decorated, but far more uniformly, 6-foot tall torches burning brightly every 30 feet, and between each pair of torches, a golden-fleshed warrior, spear in one hand and shield in the other, looking outwards as sentinels.

And all of this for the six of you. Because today is the day you join the Tagma Agiōs. You have been brought here from all corners of Hausōs, all are heroes in your own right. For some of you, leaving your home was only yesterday, for some of you, weeks. You were brought to Chrysōpolis, given warm apartments and told to prepare yourself for service. Today, you were brought into the Golden Fortress itself, offered food and wine, meditation spaces and natural groves to make ready. And finally, you were lead to the top of the fortress, to find... a party.

The Plaza is filled with people, of all races and sizes, there is even a Golden Dragon perched on the northern wall, looking over the proceedings with a gentle smile and kind eyes. All forms of food and drink are being cooked and prepared, people are dancing. Near the southern side of the Plaza, you can see a large table, which was covered in food, but now covered in children who are themselves holding plates of food from which they are gorging themselves, attentively listening to a Half-Orc in shimmering golden armor, drinking from a great amphora of wine and loudly telling stories.

It's good times.

Feel free to fill in the last couple of months of what you have been doing. Some of you may have been spending time in Chrysōpolis, some of you may have only arrived yesterday. You will know that there are 5 others who are joining the Tagma Agiōs tonight. If you like, you can roll Knowledge(Local) or Diplomacy to see what you know of the others. PSinger, would you mind posting for Doctor Falanen, Torre, and Egill? Also feel free to make up Tagma Agiōs members and/or Chrysōpolis citizens to help populate this party!

Don nadie
2016-11-01, 07:51 PM
Uyo stepped carefully on the party, feeling somewhat confused. She had other expectations. Perhaps because she came from such a, let's say, "morally relaxed" culture, Uyo didn't feel entirely comfortable with the forces of good letting the guard down. Yes, of course, she could understand the whole arguments in favour of joy and community... She just couldn't wholeheartedly embrace it. Moreover, having lived for so long as a hermit, a crowded space was far from her preference.

Beautiful, huh honey?

The one speaking to her like that was a kind but far too relaxed Ifrit. He was a merchant originary from Ihs but who had settled in Chrysōpolis and never returned. He had kindly offered to guide Uyo to the party, as the young druid still had difficulties finding her way to the city. She had in fact arrived late, rescued from the streets only by this Ifrit's intervention.

Do you dance, honey?

Uyo shook her head. Not really...

But would you like to?

The Ifrit took her softly by the hand and guided her to the space where other groups were From so high one could feel the breeze of wind, which Uyo always enjoyed. The music was catchy and her newly acquired friend began to show her the steps.

Sweety, you have seven left feet! What would your airy ancestors think of this?, the Ifrit teased her.

Uyo laughed and allowed herself to have fun. There would be time for discipline and struggles.

lostsole31
2016-11-01, 11:01 PM
Pālar was definitely out of sorts. It was enough that he had to work incredibly hard to be accepted as a regular "fixture" in the human lands from whence he hailed, but this revel was far, far afield of the hills, farms, swamps, and forests of home. Well outside anything of the hamlets and the villages and even the large towns. This was a different world entirely.

Since hiding out was impossible - as a new recruit he was one of the guests of honor - he instead "controlled" many of his interactions by telling stories instead of being particularly personable.
Perform (oratory) to tell entertaining "local" stories and some of the "quaint" pourquoi stories of his people [roll0]

Tacitus
2016-11-10, 08:28 AM
Kilian is in rare form for the day. He carries a genuine smile and is clothed not in armor or obscuring cloaks but instead mainly only his flying leathers that have been specifically tailored to allow his implants to be uncovered but still provide warmth while flying. His bald head sports a number of gleaming topaz gems wrought into his skull that not only reflect the lift of the sun and party, but are actively glowing with their own luminescence as he taps his aerokinesis while at play. He has commandeered a small portion of one of the dancing floors and while he may not be a skilled dancer, there is a strange beauty to the manner in which he throws himself to the skies through both acrobatic skill and aerokinetic flight. Indeed, were it not for his augmented form allowing him to break free from the grip of gravity his acrobatic feats, while admirable in of themselves, would never allow him to leap into the air and spin in such a dizzying display as he seems to be quite fond of.

Genth
2016-11-10, 05:02 PM
The night continued, darkness seeming to settle all around the city, but held at bay by the lights of the Tagma Agiōs. As ever, the architecture of the Fortress seems to be a metaphor, a torch in the darkness writ large. The party is in full swing now, Khosh through his third whole boar; a stout Dwarven woman striding through with several guards in tow, watching over the proceedings with a stern eye; a formal, serious man quietly speaking to equally serious associates; a bard, almost as loud as Khosh, belting out dramatic tunes and tales for a gathering crowd; and many more sights and scenes.

Uyo

Your Ifrit friend seems quite taken with you, despite the two left feet, and continues to grin and dance as you move.

"Hold on a moment, we need some food!" he says, pulling you over to a set of tables and chairs, bundling you into a seat and vanishing into the crowd.

"Quite the catch, really. Farrion is a good soul, if impetuous. You seem to have taken well." a voice whispers beside you, and you see a grey-robed person sitting across the table, who was not there before. "Hello, Uyo of Ihs. I would say it is a pleasure, but I don't feel such things. Especially not for subjects of the Ephemeral Puppetmaster.."

Pālar

Soon, a small crowd is gathered in front of you, mostly children, who, quite tired by the night already, are enraptured by your stories. One of them puts up a hand:

"Mr, is it true that you have to sleep in the sun for hours otherwise you get too cold?! she asks, impishly.

Kilian

After a while of your dancing, you notice a old, tall, slim human watching you, dressed in deep blue robes, his arms crossed. Unlike the others, whose stares tend to be ones of awe and curiosity, this gaze is deeply analytical. You get a slight shiver down your spine, as you've seen that kind of cold, clinical stare before - by the people who made you who you are.

lostsole31
2016-11-10, 07:15 PM
Pālar smiles at the little grin, perhaps a little too toothily. "No, if I were to sleep in the day it would be because it is too hot. But Rowdrosh protects me that I may endure whatever I need to ride the range at any hour. But you know what really warms me? A child's smile. You know, I am feeling just a little chilly now that my blood is working to digest all of that wonderful food. Would you smile for me? Would you all give a great big smile for me?"

Don nadie
2016-11-10, 10:35 PM
Uyo

The sylph was tired and looking with some disbelief as the ifrit left for drinks. She couldn't really find herself having this much fun, and really couldn't remember the last time she had even attempted to dance. Then she was startled by the stranger, the mysterious man in the grey cloack. Still, Uyo was from Ihs, a city where strangers appearing and dissapearing in thin air passes for normal. She quickly reasserted herself and answered.

You seem to have great advantage over me, sir, knowing who I am and who I am a subject of. I do not know the one you refer as the Ethereal Puppetmaster, and I also do not know your name. Perhaps you could clarify those points?

Uyo speaks calmly, raising her guard. Could the High Elector have sent someone this far? For her?

Tacitus
2016-11-11, 04:57 AM
Kilian does his best for several moments not to let the analytical gaze get to him, but he's never been very fond of anyone looking at his implants at all. The only reason he's been able to do so today is because of the joy and awe he has been able to inspire, but that gaze rips at memories inside he was hoping he'd not have to face during the party. After a particularly high vault to the skies a pale violet flash lights up the topaz gems upon his skull but for most onlookers nothing seems to have changed as he falls back to earth and continues his performance. To those particularly perceptive individuals they see him appear ten feet hence from where he was for a brief moment and then vanish again only to reappear behind the human. Hopefully unnoticed in his little stunt for at least a few moments he moves to lay a hand on the man's shoulder and inquire, "Care for a dance? First lesson is free."

Mechnically, Altered Penumbra (Immediate 10ft teleport and a mirror image) followed by Fading Strike (teleport up to speed and then attack, aka touch attack to shoulder). If you can't use a counter without an incoming attack, well, oops, but its mostly for looks anyhow XD Might also be fudging distances as I don't know how far the figure is, but again, this is about style right now, not combat. >.>

Genth
2016-11-11, 04:45 PM
Palār

The child gives a giggle, shared by the rest, and she gives a wide, beaming grin. As your gaze slips over the rest, you notice one of the children is a goblin, and *that* smile is less warming, and more physics defying. Still, they laugh and press you for more stories, until you feel a warm hand touch your shoulder, and see a tall, handsome man, lute at his side and commanding quite the presence.

"You're not doing half-badly for a quiet bloke!" he says, sitting down beside you and beaming at the children. "But I wager you could use a hand! Egill Normannsen!" he proclaims, holding out a hand for you to shake "Grand Master, prefer Grand Maestro if you have to, but much prefer not to make a big deal of it. Hows y'singing voice?"

Uyo

"Yes. I do have an advantage over you. Not one that I intend to give up, but.. Shadow will do for now. You may learn who I am later, but for now, yes. Shadow will suffice." the figure says, seeming to stare intently at you, though you can't see their eyes. "You are from Ihs. Therefore it is a possibility that you work for your 'Grand Elector'. The Ephemeral Puppetmaster, as they are known by those with knowledge. Politics demands I allow you to prove yourself, but I have chosen to inform you... that you are being watched. And if you are a puppet..." The voice trails away, and as you blink, the figure vanishes, almost as soon as it appeared.

"Hey! Left Feet!" you can hear the Ifrit's voice call, as he returns with a plate piled absurdly high with food.

Kilian

The man takes a half-step back, eyes widening in a flicker of emotion as you appear to teleport, a small jump. He chuckles as you ask if he would care to dance, and shakes his head. "Apologies, but I am far from the dancing type. Sorry if I disturbed you, I just had not seen such Taumaturgy before. It is Killian, right? From Sarn?" the man offers a short bow. "Grand Master Eldraad Morden. I suppose speaking of your experience would invoke emotional responses, hmm? I have little time for such pleasantries, but you are supposedly a guest of honor, and I'd hate to be rude. You should see what Khosh does to rude people at parties."

Tacitus
2016-11-11, 06:30 PM
The image left behind by Kilian continues for a few more moments before dissipating into harmless motes of silvery light. Meanwhile, the true Kilian folds his arms and seems to shrink in on himself a touch at the mention of thaumaturgy and Sarn, "Kilian Bohl, a pleasure, I'm sure. Were I not sure I was among friends this exchange would have started much differently, and we could compare my methods of dealing with rude individuals to Khosh. But no, nevermind that, your apology is accepted. I'm not adverse to speaking of my augmentations but that look you gave me shakes me to my very core, and I ask you to never do it again without my consent. My patron had it only rarely, but I saw it far too often with a sadistic glint while running operations in Sarn seeking rogue thaumaturgists. Perhaps when the venue is not so public I might allow you to examine my augmentations more closely, though I usually ask for dinner first." He looks to the others that had gathered to watch him and calls to the crowd, "I do apologize for the abrupt ending, but I figured I'd end with a flourish. Tossing myself about is exhausting, and I think I'm done for now." He flashes a smile to the crowd, "Though I suppose I might be persuaded to continue after a short break if approached by a lovely dance partner." He looks back to Eldraad and speaks with a lower voice, "If you'd like, we can find ourselves a place to sit and we can speak of thaumaturgy, mine and others, but like I said examination is off the table for this evening. Well, perhaps after I grab a bit more food and something to drink. Extended displays work up a bit of an appetite."

Don nadie
2016-11-11, 07:51 PM
Uyo pales at this "Shadow"'s words. She is unhappy about receiving such attention, but also slightly angry. She has spent far too much time fighting against the High Elector's policies to be now suspected one of his (or is it her?) puppets. The nickname of "Ephemereal Puppetmaster" is one she has never heard before, though she'll admit it fits Erayo like a glove.

Before she can answer, the Shadow has dissapeared and the Ifrit is before her again. Uyo forces a smile.

Well, that is going to fall sooner or later, she says trying to lighten up. We better get on to it!

She begins to eat with her new friend, eager to hear whats it like for him living in a city so different from Ihs.

This place is better, there's no doubt of that... But it also seems sometimes people are a little bit too orderly, doesn't it? As if every person has their fate decided beforehand... Do you like it here? Do you find it easy to fit?

This is a topic of interest to her. Ihs has many defects as a territory, but one of its best features is that few would dare stand between a person and what he wants to do... Unless it is extremely hurtful. Here, many more things are prohibited and people's occupations are decided beforehand. But people are also healthier, and you don't see the hunger and inequality which plagues the Hanging City's lower wards.

Genth
2016-11-13, 03:17 AM
Kilian

The Grandmaster raises an eyebrow at this.. well, not quite emotional enough to be a tirade, but certainly a barrage of words flung at him. "If a look of curiosity can 'shake you to your very core', boy, then I shudder to think what will happen when something truly hostile locks you in your gaze. Still.." He chuckles, before continuing "Don't forget your implants... that thaumaturgy is what has brought you here. Is what will let you help people. We'll speak again, Kilian of Sarn, when you need to understand more of what was done to you." he states, before turning and walking away. You notice that the people here give the man a wide berth.

"I'm sorry you had to meet him of all people" a voice states from a small distance to your left. A young, handsome man, lightly built and wearing a pale blue set of leggings and tunic smiles at you, holding a plate of food and a glass of fruit juice. "Nobody seems to know why he's even in the Tagma, let alone a Grand Master, he's so... cold. I'm Bei, by the way, it's an honor to meet you!" he says, approaching.

Uyo

"Well, I know it can seem pretty regimented, but that's not really how it is. Down in the city, you're free to join whatever collective takes your interest, and you're free to go between them. It's like a road network really - sure it's all straight lines and can encourage you to go where you want to, but if you really want to wander off into the wilderness, nothing to stop you... unless you become a bandit I guess..." The Ifrit's face falls. "That metaphor kinda ran away on me..." he admits, sheepishly

lostsole31
2016-11-13, 03:31 AM
Palār shakes his head. "I would rather the children do that for me."

With his facial structure, it is hard to tell if he is smiling, or merely showing his teeth as some type of greeting or challenge.

Tacitus
2016-11-14, 01:06 AM
Kilian fumes for a moment and is about to call after Eldraad to get the last word, but is saved from likely embarrassment by a young man grabbing his attention from nearby instead. A pale blue-white glow sparks beneath his skin over his larynx and can barely be seen within his mouth as he speaks in Eldraad's voice with a slight smile on his lips, "Cold indeed." Strangely, the words seem to carry only to the young man. The glow abruptly vanishes and Kilian speaks aloud in his normal voice, "I'm not sorry in the slightest. He's much like my patron, Thaumaturge Izmir of Sarn. A good man, but certainly not the warmest of souls. Never let it be said that being nice is a prerequisite of being a good person, or something along those lines anyhow." He shrugs, "Regardless, a pleasure to meet you Bei. Should I be expecting other Grandmasters to be visiting me before the night is done? Never had a party thrown in my honor, certainly not of this size anyhow."

Don nadie
2016-11-18, 10:55 AM
Uyo finds herself laughing at the Ifrit's metaphor, the Shadow's appearance now almost forgotten. Whereas the mysterious visitor had made her feel spied upon, the

It definitely ran, yes, she says with a wink. But you are a dancer, not a talker. And I guess you are right. This place just feels... Entirely different from home. Uyo finds herself blushing, her cheeks turning softly blue. Ugh, forgive me. Silly nostalgia. I think I'm just feeling a bit homesick. Or scared, as if I maybe am not cut out for this place. The young sylph shakes her head. Isn't it funny, that nothing has reminded her as much of her hometown as the sudden appearance of a mysterious spy with an ominous message? Do you miss Ihs still? Did you find it easy to adapt? she asks her companion.

She speaks hesitantly, but also with curiosity, as she nibbles from the food he brought.

silphael
2016-12-05, 02:15 PM
Jaren

Walking among the cheering folks, wearing his red jacket, Joran strides with assurance. After all, he's there for a reason, and that reason looks like a lot of fun. Grabbing food here and there, and a glass of wine now and then, greeting some of the... agents of the law he may have "met" before.

"Why, hello officer Kenson! Is there any reason you look so surprised to meet a law-abidding citizen like me?"

In fact, Ilana Kenson did, a while ago, hunt Jaren. After... some odd circonstances involving a jealous crew and a corrupted boss, Jaren and Ilana relations grew to some kind of respect... until Jaren was rumoured to have drown with his ship months ago.