PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Birth of a Deity

squidtown
2016-10-31, 10:48 PM
Hi all,
This is my first time DM-ing, and I had an idea to have a new deity appear in the city where the characters live. I wanted to frame it as odd things taking place, like strange creatures drawn to the city by some power, children being born with certain natural magic abilities, etc. that were all tied to the rise of a new deity. I have very little knowledge about how the standard pantheon and god behavior, having never played much with them before, but I did read a little from Requiem for a God about the event of the death of a god/deity. How would you go about the opposite--the birth of a deity?

Zanos
2016-10-31, 10:51 PM
Are we talking about a mortal ascending to godhood, or the spontaneous generation of a new creature? There are examples of the former in many settings. There are...fewer examples of the latter, as the exact nature of the creation of a deity isn't typically delved into.

DrMotives
2016-10-31, 11:04 PM
You might use Elder Evils as a template, that book has near godlike supernatural beings coming to the campaign world with lots of signs & portents for each one to meet prophesies. If your god isn't evil, just made the signs not evil. If you don't have access to it, I think there's a web supplement for it on the Wizards website with an extra Elder Evil you can use to get the idea.

Jowgen
2016-10-31, 11:33 PM
I'd go with some night-legendary local figure being so revered that they become a quasi deity, aka hero deity, as detailed in Deities and Demigods.

Interesting things that would happen as a result would include a clash between evil forces trying to capture the newly ascended one (as to try and steal its divine spark) and Inevitables (of the "Protect Deities from mortals" variety, Fiend Folio) as a result.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-11-01, 01:45 AM
I'd go with some night-legendary local figure being so revered that they become a quasi deity, aka hero deity, as detailed in Deities and Demigods.

Interesting things that would happen as a result would include a clash between evil forces trying to capture the newly ascended one (as to try and steal its divine spark) and Inevitables (of the "Protect Deities from mortals" variety, Fiend Folio) as a result.

Wouldn't said Inevitables only show up prior to a diefic ascension? IIRC, the second divinity is achieved, they do an about face and protect the new god from those who would steal it.

squidtown
2016-11-01, 07:07 PM
Are we talking about a mortal ascending to godhood, or the spontaneous generation of a new creature? There are examples of the former in many settings. There are...fewer examples of the latter, as the exact nature of the creation of a deity isn't typically delved into.

That's a very good question. I guess I had originally envisioned the second one, but I hadn't really even thought of the first choice. That seems actually like it might work better for the type of deity I'm going for--I was thinking of having some sort of religion formed by children, and I guess that could come about with a pied-piper sort of figure being elevated by gaining worshipers among the children in the city.

squidtown
2016-11-01, 07:09 PM

That is a great idea. I think I'll do something like that. Thanks!

squidtown
2016-11-01, 07:17 PM
You might use Elder Evils as a template, that book has near godlike supernatural beings coming to the campaign world with lots of signs & portents for each one to meet prophesies. If your god isn't evil, just made the signs not evil. If you don't have access to it, I think there's a web supplement for it on the Wizards website with an extra Elder Evil you can use to get the idea.

Nice! That looks really helpful for what I'm trying to do. I'll definitely look into it. Have you ever used it before?

Boogastreehouse
2016-11-02, 07:59 AM

Do you have any thoughts as to what the domains of said deity might be?

Does the Deity come into being because a concept has developed and grown important enough in the minds of mortals that it has gone from a mere idea to an actual Domain, and from there spawned a god by which the concept might be personified?

I'm reminded of The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, in which the protagonist's unspeakably dirty refrigerator becomes such an object of extremes that it eventually issues forth a new god.

squidtown
2016-11-02, 05:56 PM
Do you have any thoughts as to what the domains of said deity might be?

Does the Deity come into being because a concept has developed and grown important enough in the minds of mortals that it has gone from a mere idea to an actual Domain, and from there spawned a god by which the concept might be personified?

I think the answer to both of these questions is yes.

It may sound a little corny, but my concept for the deity was to embody fantasy and imagination, with children appearing as the main worshipers. I'm especially thinking of using the artifice and/or creation domains. The concept came from an idea of having the players encounter children who can perform certain types of magic through storytelling and play-acting. Essentially, elements of their stories would come true as they tell them, and it might even eventually attract mythical creatures to the city. As I said, the artifice and creation domains spring to mind, but do you have any suggestions for what could work with this?

Boogastreehouse
2016-11-02, 08:01 PM

I think the answer to both of these questions is yes.

It may sound a little corny, but my concept for the deity was to embody fantasy and imagination, with children appearing as the main worshipers. I'm especially thinking of using the artifice and/or creation domains. The concept came from an idea of having the players encounter children who can perform certain types of magic through storytelling and play-acting. Essentially, elements of their stories would come true as they tell them, and it might even eventually attract mythical creatures to the city. As I said, the artifice and creation domains spring to mind, but do you have any suggestions for what could work with this?

This sounds great! In my campaign I have a child-friendly deity that has some Santa Claus-like characteristics.

Maybe add the Dream Domain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/3rd-party-publishers---domains/4-winds-fantasy-gaming---domains/dream-domain), Imagination Domain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/luck-domain/imagination-subdomain) or the Whimsy Domain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/chaos-domain/whimsy)

Edit: Also, if the Deity's followers are children, they might not yet be encumbered with the knowledge of how magic is "supposed" to work, allowing them to work magic in unusual ways. I had been thinking of such an "outside the rules" magic system for a while now, inspired by the subjective-reality magick system from Mage (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Mage:_The_Ascension). I thought it would be appropriate for the insane and for artists, but it would also make sense for children to access such techniques. Hmmm...

squidtown
2016-11-02, 09:26 PM
Edit: Also, if the Deity's followers are children, they might not yet be encumbered with the knowledge of how magic is "supposed" to work, allowing them to work magic in unusual ways.

That sounds like exactly where I want to go with it. Now just to decide how the deity's going to come into the world...

Thealtruistorc
2016-11-02, 11:20 PM

Given how crazy cinematic the elder evil signs tend to be, I laugh at the idea of a good-aligned one.

Sign: Tides of Adorableness
The presence of the elder good has made the world bright and cheery, and all of nature rejoices in the most saccharine manner possible
Faint Days are always sunny, and adorable animals scamper about constantly. All creatures gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against fear and despair effects
Moderate As faint, but whenever a creature encounters an animal, they must make a DC 15 will save to avoid petting them and speaking in baby talk for the next minute
Strong As moderate, but all creatures have a 10% chance of bursting into song once per minute. This functions as the inspire courage ability of a 20th-level bard.
Overwhelming As Strong, but life in this setting becomes one massive musical number. Every animal, plant, and intelligent creature is constantly singing and dancing, bestowing benefits as a 20th-level bard's inspire courage and becoming immune to all fear and despair effects.