PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.P (Pathfinder base w/3.5 allowed) belated Halloween one-shot

SpamCreateWater
2016-10-31, 11:01 PM
Greetings everyone. I need help. Sorry in advance for this mess of a post.

As the thread title suggests I'm DMing a belated Halloween one-shot. Pathfinder rules with 3.5 allowed. Open slather on basically everything. I need some help putting together this monstrosity, or perhaps I need someone to tell me to calm down.

Part 1. The rules help.

Let me preface this part with: I know that some of my reasons for these restrictions/alternate rules are indicative of bad DMing and contradictory beyond all reason. But I am taking as many shortcuts as I can due to lack of time, being a scrub, and not being confident enough in my knowledge of magical items and spells. (Never played a spellcaster beyond a basic healbot favoured soul and never had anything close to magical items/WBL)

For reference, the Big 16 I gave the players.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Pathfinder base, 3.5 allowed

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Halloween theme, generic D&D setting

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
I have 5 players

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
In person

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Between 3rd and 5th level. See below.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
3rd level with 3000g, 4th level with 1500g, 5th level with 500g

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Nope. However, native (class/racial) spellcasting is limited to first level spells.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
The closer to human(oid) the better.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
20 point buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
N/A. I don't even care if you play well with others. (We're all friends, I don't foresee any one will be too much of a sonuva)

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Allowed. No experience penalties

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Players roll own

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
2 flaws (3.5), 1 trait (PF). 2 extra skill points per level.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
You will be given a hook. As much background as you feel you need to make your character interesting.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Mostly hack and slash and puzzle solving, with some roleplaying

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
For PF if it's on the PFSRD go nuts. All 3.5 books allowed, with Dragon Mag on request

So I've given them open slather, but then gone and restricted things... :smalltongue:

If you don't want to read that whole thing here are the few larger changes to keep in mind and my (lack of) thought process when making this up. Along with me questioning and debating my decision.

3rd level gets 3000g, 4th level gest 1500g, 5th level gets 500g.
Why?
Give them a bit of an option - more gold or more levels? It's a one-shot so disposable items could be a viable strategy.
Most people are new, and the others (including me) haven't played actual high magic D&D. We have diddlysquat time, I have less. Neither I, nor they, want to feel obligated to spend time trawling through books for items. It also restricts their options and makes it less likely for me to get the whole one-shot dumpstered on because of some 3001g, esoteric item that kills all undead within 10ft of the holder.
That being said, is it too little?

No spellcasting over 1st level unless it is off a scroll/wand. Warlocks and Binders and other variant "casting" classes are limited to the first level of their "casting".
Why?
Artificially create a darker atmosphere. Less magic, darker setting. I know this isn't how it works. But I can hope.
I don't want some curbstomper of a spell coming out of nowhere. I am confident with my level 1 spell knowledge. But then it goes to hell in a handwoven basket.
This will not change for the standard caster classes. But what about Warlocks, Binders, Totemists, and ToB-esque classes? Should I have that limitation?
Extra question. Racial abilities like the Aasimar Daylight. Using the above rule it wouldn't "work" would it? As, from memory, the Daylight ability is considered 2nd level.

Part 2. The story help.

Setting: Random village in a forest in a mountainous area. Probably need some reason for it to actually exist.

PCs start in the village. All Hallow's Eve is nearly upon them. It's an exciting time in the village as the Lord and her husband are making a special visit to her husband's hometown. Here.

PCs can interact with villagers. No one knows who the Lord's husband is. The village has been cut off due to an extended winter with heavy snow so most of the talk from villagers will be bitching about one another and asking about the outside world.
There will also be talk of the Lord's guard fixing the blight upon the village. If they get friendly with a villager they will learn that there have been reports of a dead villager, Jack, haunting the village at night whispering his own name, undead have been seen in the woods, and there have been odd deaths amongst those that work within the forest. Rumours say his family was part of everything from smuggler to child-sacrificing cult leader.
Even more friendly and the PCs will find that villagers were originally sent out to deal with the family. They believe that by destroying Jack's grave they will be rid of the curse. But the villagers chosen never came back.

The PCs will eventually be offered some of the local Halloween food, barmbrack. Inside their barmbrack they will find a medallion of some (help) saint/god(dess). A Knowledge Religion/Local check will show that finding this in your bread symbolises going into priesthood. They will then black out. If they make a monstrously high Fort save they will see cloaked figures descend upon them before being beaten into oblivion. Choo choo.

The PCs awake together in a cell. A disembodied voice will announce they have been chosen by Jack (same name as dead villager) and that they need to join either in blood or spirit. They need to convert to this cult or will be sacrificed. The figure is incredibly sure they will convert.
It will answer a question or two before leaving. The figure will allude to Jack's ritual of rebirth and the coming of a new god.
Those with lowlight/darkvision will see a cloaked figure shuffling out the door when it leaves. Crazy high perception will show it is either not human or has an incredibly disfigured body.

K Engineering, Disable Device, Strength. There are any number of ways to get out of the jail and claim their stuff. There is no guard in the room.

... This is where it gets hazy. Basic railway tracks will guide them to the following.

There are two cults operating in the area. They are both wanting to use the remains of Jack for their own purposes.
The side that captured them believes that Jack was born from a pumpkin seed found in an ear of corn, and was destined to become the next god of harvest. They have an army of plants at their disposal.
The second group believes that the remains hold the key to immortality and dominion over Devils. They are selfproclaimed Osteomancers (divination via reading bones). They control a horde of undead.

On meeting with the leaders of either of the cults (two leaders in each cult) the PCs will find out that they are members of a former adventuring party. The adventuring party, an unknown number of years ago, came to the area to root out evil at the behest of the village.
The leaders will explain that the other side went crazy after eating a local poisonous plant that lowers the imbibers will and intellect, and makes them susceptible to flights of fancy. All the while eating something that is similar enough to the described poisonous plant to warrant worry.
Questions about Jack (the dead villager that is haunting the town) will be met with confused looks, irrational anger, and a splitting headache.

Questions directed to the 1st group about Jack (the dead guy whose remains will be used in his ritual of rebirth) will be met with praise over his life as a simple farmer who had a knack for growing crops larger than anyone else could. (I don't know what full on crazy I could put in here. Halp. Perhaps the rebirth requires the raising of the forest to consume the village.)

Questions directed to the 2nd group about Jack (the dead guy whose remains hold the key to immortality and Devil control) will be met with praise over his cunning and trickery. He was a dirt poor farmer that wished for more, so he called upon the powers of the 9 Hells and made a deal with "The" Devil. And he managed to trick it! He got something for nothing, or so he thought. He would not be accepted by Hell on his death. However, due to his life of debauchery and sin he wasn't accepted by Heaven either, so his spirit was left to wander the land. (I'm unsure how this ACTUALLY goes down with D&D life/death shenanigans due to this having real world religious themes needed to work... actually, it could just be a glaring hole in their story if it doesn't work)

Finally the train heads south. The two cults face off against one another. The PCs may, or may not, choose a side.
Cue crazy fight with creepy things.

Eventually the Lord and her guards will appear. As he husband comes into sight everything will stop. The former adventurers will fall prostate before the husband. He will look familiar to the PCs, they've seen his face a painting somewhere.

The husband is Jack. He was showing the Lord around his farmland when they heard sounds of battle and rushed over.

Jack will recognise the "adventurers" as people from the village. They will disagree vehemently and call him an imposter. The war will begin again but the cults team up against the newcomers. The next part assumes the newcomers survive.

Jack will take them back to his farmhouse, the original building the PCs started in, and tell them a tale.
Months ago Jack saved the Lord from a wild animal attack a day or two outside the village area. K Nature, Sense Motive will show that it's not exactly true - further probing may unearth that it was a plant/skeleton hybrid that attacked them (this may just be making things too convoluted so could leave it simple). Both the Lord and Jack fell ill from the scratches and bites. The Lord's physician panicked and rushed them both back to the capital. The Lord recovered quickly, but Jack's wounds were severe and he took longer to recover. By the time he was well enough to travel the snows had blocked the village off. He was frantic to return to his hometown and would not tell anyone why.
Finally, during this exposition and after musing over the monstrosities (ambulant plants and skeletons) and deaths of his fellow villagers, Jack will finally break and tell his wife about his twin brother.

His brother is a gifted spellcaster but is mentally handicapped. His parents had kept his brother a secret from the village, as they are a superstitious lot. When their parents passed away, Jack kept the secret of his brother from the villagers.
Jack supposes he is behind all of it.

Now I'm stuck. I suppose at this point Jack's brother will appear. But.. it feels like the story has run it's course as is. The big battle, the final exposition... maybe just a sighting of the brother will be enough? Appears in the window, whispers, "Jack..." (like in the story the villagers told) and then disappears.

This will allow a possible further one-shot with the brother being corrupted by a dark force and the plant/skeleton hybrid mentioned before being used in the future.

Part 3. Skill usage help.

I will try to use the environment as much as possible to change things up.
I want to give skills a good workout.

I'm just stuck on balancing/choosing monsters for these encounters.

Specific encounters and skill used:
Villagers - Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, bribery
Getting out of jail - K Engineering, Disable Device, Strength, Acrobatics(?)
Chatting with the cult members/leaders - Sense Motive, K History, Bluff,

Skills used with no specific encounter in mind:
K Nature - poisonous plant information, knowledge that the "wild animal" attack is a suspect excuse.
K Nobility - knowledge early game about the Lord and her husband. Vague clues as to his appearance.
K Religion - the cult's will wear unknown symbols that look like stylised depictions of other gods.
K Arcana - random hints throughout the session of crazy strong (compared to them) magic
Linguistics - the plants/skeletons will talk in another language
Heal - notice a strong correlation between the symptoms of ingesting the poisonous plant and the cult leaders.
Survival - the woodlands they are upon will be noticeably different from wild woods. Like they've been tended to.
Climb, Acrobatics, Swim - used all at some point

Part 4. Monster encounter help.

Balanced, but challenging. I know I can Rule 0 and make up whatever I want. But I want to do it within the rules if I can. Also, while I have instituted restrictions on my players I'm not beholden to those same restrictions.

I'm keen for refluffed monsters with fun abilities that can change battle or even the battlefield. I know I have to read up on "levelling up" monsters or swapping out/adding feats. There's that guide by Urpriest I've squirreled away somewhere.

Things like Earth Devotion (3.5) would be cool for the plants to have.
Skeletons with Destruction Devotion?
Either with Fighter or Rogue levels?

Or should I just whack some HD and SLAs on a blank template and see how it goes?

Apologies if this is all over the place. I'm in the middle of doing several things at once and don't have this all neatly laid out in my head. I've gone back and revised several parts already :smallredface:

Edit: Thought I should add that I understand "setting the scene" is a big thing and using voice and descriptions (even dice rolls) to set the mood will be a big factor. These are things I know. /endedit

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-02, 09:59 PM
Can I get a TL;DR, please, to make sure I know what all you're looking for?

In terms of WBL, why not just let everyone have one cool item that's less than ~10k gp, and then free armour and other required misc. things? It's a one-shot, and that way you know exactly what their capability is in terms of items. I don't see a reason to be uptight on this.

This is a one-shot, so you don't need a bunch of backstory for a place, I shouldn't think. Just set the scene amd objective, then get to playing. In terms of the ending, it seems like you have a ton of scripting for this story, and maybe that's a good GM style for you, but I think that the route your players take may negate some of this planning. The ending seems like it could to be variable based on their actions to get there.

In terms of skills, I think all you need to do is make sure that you describe the areas that the players are in pretty well (with a number of small, possibly insignificant details), and the players will probably jump on those small things and turn them into skill checks. If there's eg. a discarded woven bracelet in the corn field, they might think to go and gather info/ RP with the villagers about it. If there's a bunch of farming tools (including a crowbar) outside one of the cult's hideouts, they might be tempted to break in.

Urpriest's Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?207928-Urpriest-s-Monstrous-Monster-Handbook) is pretty in-depth, which is great if you're invested enough in this adventure to use it. I personally would just dig through MM5, HoH, LM, Gw, and maybe CoR or Mon and see what jumps out at me. Since you know your party will be level 3-5, then they'll probably have to-hits of 7-9, damage around 3d6+6, and saves around 2-8, you can just eyeball changes to the monsters to make them CR-appropriate.