PDA

View Full Version : Young Justice Season 3 Renewal?

Lacuna Caster
2016-11-01, 04:26 AM
https://m.reddit.com/r/youngjustice/comments/59qhry/we_can_do_this_final_push_for_season_3/

I'm a little surprised this wasn't brung up recently, but apparently Netflix are teasing the definite possibility of maybe renewing the show if their viewership metrics are satisfied (300,000 views per month, however that's measured, and whatever the current baseline might be.)

Netflix doesn't air YJ in my country, so this is all I can do. Can someone wiser than me explain the funding model that Netflix operates under? Ideally I'd just like to pay, up front, for the production costs, in something resembling a kickstarter framework.

If they pull this off, it would definitely be one of my rare +1 Faith in Humanity moments.

EDIT: Confirmed!
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/11/07/young-justice-returning-for-season-3
http://nerdist.com/young-justice-is-getting-a-third-season/

Ping Pong Along
2016-11-01, 07:48 AM
From what I've read on Greg Weisman's Twitter feed, this isn't really accurate. Sure watching YJ on Netflix certainly helps show that there's demand for it, but there is no specific metric or goal.

Something else you can do to help support the show is buy the seasons on DVD or Blu Ray. I'd say buying the tie-in comic probably helps too, but I'm less clear on that. I've heard good things about it, so if you're a fan of the show, it's probably checking out the comic. It apparently handles continuity between the two extremely well.

Cheesegear
2016-11-01, 08:11 AM
Can someone wiser than me explain the funding model that Netflix operates under?

Netflix pays money to exclusively distribute content from a studio. 'Bidding Wars' happen, Netfllix gets it - over say, Hulu or Amazon - and, in return, Netflix gets to stamp their 'Netflix' logo on the front, as the show is exclusive to Netflix.

Once this happens, Netflix uses those exclusive shows to leverage advertising, and new subscribers. Except if you're already subscribed to Netflix anyway, Netflix doesn't really gain anything by creating new shows, only material that it can use for advertising, because you're already subscribed anyway. Netflix, really, only makes money off of new subscribers, which it does by distributing exclusive, original content. This is a horribly flawed system, and is why Netflix is almost $3 billion in debt (http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/24/13386208/netflix-debt-original-content). Their business is subscriber growth. If they can't do that, they wont bother.

Except the only reason to make new shows from old content (e.g; Young Justice), is if Netflix somehow knows that they'll be able to get subscribers out of it, because that's how they make money. If you want Netflix to fund a S3, you'll have to be watching the first two seasons already, and you'll have to tell everyone you know to as well. Hence the 300K metric needed for Netflix to even bother.

"I want [show], but I don't/can't get Netflix." ultimately means that the show doesn't happen.

Lacuna Caster
2016-11-01, 11:32 AM
Netflix pays money to exclusively distribute content from a studio. 'Bidding Wars' happen, Netfllix gets it - over say, Hulu or Amazon - and, in return, Netflix gets to stamp their 'Netflix' logo on the front, as the show is exclusive to Netflix.

Once this happens, Netflix uses those exclusive shows to leverage advertising, and new subscribers. Except if you're already subscribed to Netflix anyway, Netflix doesn't really gain anything by creating new shows, only material that it can use for advertising, because you're already subscribed anyway. Netflix, really, only makes money off of new subscribers, which it does by distributing exclusive, original content. This is a horribly flawed system, and is why Netflix is almost $3 billion in debt (http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/24/13386208/netflix-debt-original-content). Their business is subscriber growth. If they can't do that, they wont bother.

Except the only reason to make new shows from old content (e.g; Young Justice), is if Netflix somehow knows that they'll be able to get subscribers out of it, because that's how they make money. If you want Netflix to fund a S3, you'll have to be watching the first two seasons already, and you'll have to tell everyone you know to as well. Hence the 300K metric needed for Netflix to even bother.
I appreciate the cliffs notes, but this confuses me a little. Don't netflix charge for subscriptions already, aside from advertising? Are you telling me I have to persuade new people to sign up to netflix, and binge-watch YJ, in order to have an impact? If that's the case, wouldn't they already have the subscribers they want, and a season 3 would exist purely to retain that base?

Anyway, like I said, this isn't an option for me or anyone I know in the same country, aside from sending heartfelt pleas via customer support (which we've done.) So... if anyone reading is in the states and would like to see a third season, I guess you know what to do?

Thialfi
2016-11-01, 12:41 PM
The future of the entertainment industry is very confusing. We see news like AT&T buying Time Warner because everyone knows that the landscape is changing, but nobody knows what it will look like when the dust settles. Netflix goes into debt because their very survival depends on them being an important content provider. They knew this when they move away from their old disk rental model. They knew this when they went all in on their Disney deal. Ultimately, eyeballs on the screen do matter to them because they actually have to provide valuable content to remain relevant. The more options they provide that people want, the more likely they are to gain new subscribers as well as keep the ones they have.

I doubt it's as simple as YJ hitting some arbitrary viewership number, but more people watching certainly doesn't hurt.

gomipile
2016-11-01, 12:52 PM
Netflix, really, only makes money off of new subscribers, which it does by distributing exclusive, original content.

So my monthly subscription fee for Netflix doesn't go to Netflix? Keeping me as a subscriber doesn't benefit them?

Fishybugs
2016-11-01, 01:36 PM
So my monthly subscription fee for Netflix doesn't go to Netflix? Keeping me as a subscriber doesn't benefit them?

Also, providing new and interesting content keeps me as a subscriber, so they do benefit in that way.

Cheesegear
2016-11-02, 01:08 AM
Are you telling me I have to persuade new people to sign up to netflix, and binge-watch YJ, in order to have an impact?

Pretty sure that's how it works. Gauging interest for Fuller House. Second season of The Ranch was greenlit. Voltron. If Netflix has the viewers and/or market research, they'll bankroll a lot. Because they can. If any other company went into $3bn debt, there'd be chaos.

Ultimately, eyeballs on the screen do matter to them because they actually have to provide valuable content to remain relevant.

Also, providing new and interesting content keeps me as a subscriber, so they do benefit in that way.

Having the number of subscribers that they do, certainly helps. Because it shows investors that their revenue is constant and consistent, and will 'earn' always and forever. The idea that this income is basically permanent, means that Netflix can go into a $3bn debt, without alarming everyone, because all's Netflix would have to do, is do nothing at all for a few months and that debt would basically vanish, giving a lot of benefit of the doubt to Netflix's business model of trying to distribute original content.

t209
2016-11-02, 01:46 AM
I do hope it happens.
Good coincidence with recent Rebirth run where Wally West (the red-headed one) came back. :smallfrown: Sadly not he marriage and the twins though. Definitely not Bart and other speedsters.

BWR
2016-11-07, 06:59 PM
Well, this (http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/07/young-justice-returning-for-season-3)seems promising.

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!*

Fishybugs
2016-11-07, 07:37 PM
Yep...I just read it on the Nerdist as well:

http://nerdist.com/young-justice-is-getting-a-third-season/

t209
2016-11-07, 08:07 PM
"How could I ever forget you?"
I guess DC Rebirth did predict Season 3, at least Wally's possible return.
edit: I mean DC had hate streak on Wally with him being erased in Flashpoint and "died" in Season 2 finale.

Thialfi
2016-11-08, 09:30 AM
It's official

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/07/young-justice-returning-for-season-3?read

Lacuna Caster
2016-11-08, 10:36 AM
Faith in Humanity +1! You glorious hairless apes you!

Come here, let me groom your scalp for lice and other edible particles. Or hugs? Is it hugs? Is that we're doing these days?

Ping Pong Along
2016-11-08, 03:27 PM
Really excited about this news. My next question is on which network will it air and how many episodes will it get? While season 2 was fantastic, I don't think I'm saying anything controversial when I say it could have used a handful more episodes.

The Fury
2016-11-11, 03:08 PM
I'm still skeptical, but less so. As soon as I see promotional images other than the title, or an actual air date I'll believe it. Unless that air date is 04/01, then I'll know I'm being trolled.

But hey, cautious optimism and all that.

Ping Pong Along
2016-11-11, 11:29 PM
I'm still skeptical, but less so. As soon as I see promotional images other than the title, or an actual air date I'll believe it. Unless that air date is 04/01, then I'll know I'm being trolled.

But hey, cautious optimism and all that.

Besides being confirmed by multiple news sources, it has also been confirmed by co-creator Greg Weisman on Twitter. At this point, it's as close to a done deal as it gets.

It's gonna be awhile before promotional images come around since they just got back to production. The next news we get will likely be which network it will air on.

The Fury
2016-11-12, 02:01 AM
Besides being confirmed by multiple news sources, it has also been confirmed by co-creator Greg Weisman on Twitter. At this point, it's as close to a done deal as it gets.

I'll admit before Greg Weisman confirmed it and there was the Netflix thing to go on, my thought was, "A third season of Young Justice? Ha! Yeah, right."

Now my thought is more, "Yeah, OK. It might actually be happening."

I realize I'm being a wet blanket about this, but as much as I hope that it's really happening there's enough doubt in my mind to fear that Young Justice Season 3 will be like Firefly Season 2; a return of beloved series that's been anticipated and hoped for by many but ultimately very unlikely to ever see the light of day.

It's gonna be awhile before promotional images come around since they just got back to production. The next news we get will likely be which network it will air on.

That brings up a reason why the project might get shelved-- if no network is interested in running it, then the studio might just shut down production. Again, not hoping that this is the case, quite the opposite. Just an alternate perspective.

Lacuna Caster
2016-11-12, 02:12 PM
That brings up a reason why the project might get shelved-- if no network is interested in running it, then the studio might just shut down production. Again, not hoping that this is the case, quite the opposite. Just an alternate perspective.
As I understand it, this was the direct result of petitioning by Netflix users, and the content will likely be exclusive. I don't think finding a network will be the problem. :)

I am sorta bummed it'll take another year to get outta production though. But as they say, live animation puts a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.

Ping Pong Along
2016-11-12, 08:09 PM
I'll admit before Greg Weisman confirmed it and there was the Netflix thing to go on, my thought was, "A third season of Young Justice? Ha! Yeah, right."

Now my thought is more, "Yeah, OK. It might actually be happening."

I realize I'm being a wet blanket about this, but as much as I hope that it's really happening there's enough doubt in my mind to fear that Young Justice Season 3 will be like Firefly Season 2; a return of beloved series that's been anticipated and hoped for by many but ultimately very unlikely to ever see the light of day.

I hope you never serve on a jury. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I understand not wanting to get your hopes up. The thing is, they don't produce a show without a network attached to air it. And it's not like television shows haven't come back before. If Full House of all things can be brought back, then why not Young Justice? Animation in particular is nice for revivals since the characters don't need to be aged up like in live action.