PDA

View Full Version : New Succubus Familiar....Now the Main PC?

gfishfunk
2016-11-01, 11:43 AM
Two or three months back, I was awarded a succubus familiar. I toned down the succubus familiar to make the creature more in-line with an actual familiar. However, I was toying with the idea of making the succubus my main character if (and when, if I can be honest), my current main character dies.

So, I was trying to re-flavor things already existing in order to create a working succubus. Here is what I was thinking:

Re-flavor: Aarakocra (or Drow Elf) Ranger with the new beastmaster subclass. I was thinking of using the Wolf (or other beast) to represent a person who has been mentally drained by the succubus and is under her control. I'm not sure what kind of spells would work with it. We start at level 4.

I don't have stats worked out right now, but I would be decently happy with a low Wisdom/high Strength or Agility Ranger.

Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any criticisms?

gfishfunk
2016-11-01, 11:52 AM
Aarakocra Stats:
Str 12
Dex 14 (+2) = 16
Con 14
Wis 8 (+1) = 9
Int 8
Cha 15

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-01, 12:00 PM
I think the wolf companion is a clever idea.

As for the race, you could start from the aarakocra, then make a few changes. I'd go with:

ASI: +2 Cha, +1 to any other (based on what's in the MM, but not great for a ranger)
Size: medium
Speed: 30, fly 40
Claw: 1d4 slashing (again, not much use for a ranger. could swap for fire resistance)
Innate Casting (Cha): Charm Person 1/day
Languages: Abyssal, Common, Infernal

So essentially, it trades 10 feet of fly speed for 5 feet of land speed and Charm Person. I think that's fair.

Herobizkit
2016-11-01, 03:18 PM
If your DM is okay with you playing a flying creature, go for it.

Optionally, the Tiefling has some alternate race options in the SCAG, including wings.

Brief history: 1e D&D had an Alu-Demon which was always female and half-succubus. Tiefling works.

gfishfunk
2016-11-02, 08:28 AM
The Tiefling variant would work really well, actually.

I think I would replace the +1 Int with +1 Cha, drop burning hands for a once-per-day extending wings for 1 minute (to tone down the flight aspect), and restore the fire resistance. I don't really need to extra once-per-day spell (burning hands, hellish rebuke, or otherwise).

So, I guess I would change it all. :smallsmile:

Goal: The group that she would be playing with has a gunslinger, a ranger (PH, not beastmaster, ranged), a rogue (ranged), and a bard (semi-ranged, semi-melee). So....the group REALLY needs a front-liner, and that is the sort of role that I tend to play anyway. This way, I'm bringing two front-liners.

Here is a more filled-out character sheet:

Kate (the extremely shallow succubus)
Variant-Variant Tiefling-ish Ranger, Level 6.
Str Save / Dex Save

Proficiencies: Athletics / Animal Handling / Stealth
Background: Acrobatics / Performance / Musical Instrument (Tambourine)
Dueling: Whip + Shield
Medium Armor (Breastplate) = 18 AC
Favored Enemy / Greater Favored Enemy: Humanoid / Fiend
4th Level ASI: Inspiring Leader or Defensive Duelist. Inspiring Leader would be perfect for our group numbers: 5 PCs, 1 animal companion.

Str 10
Dex 14 (+2) = 16
Con 14
Wis 10
Int 8
Cha 15 (+1) = 16

Whip: +6 / d4 + 5 (+2 v. Favored enemy)

Ranger Spell Ideas:
2nd Level -
- Hunter's Mark
- Cure Wounds
3rd Level
- Detect Magic
4th Level
- Alarm
5th Level
- Spike Growth
- Replace Detect Magic to Lessor Restoration
6th Level
- Replace Alarm with Silence

---

Subjugated Companion:
Humanoid (Wolf)
AC 16 (+3 Proficiency) = 16
HP 11 + 3d8 +3 = 29 hp
Skills: Athletics / Stealth

Str 12
Dex 15 (ASI +1) = 16
Con 12
Int 3 (ASI +1) = 4 (Poor guy's mind is completely blown)
Wis 12
Cha 6

Attack: Stab (Instead of Bite) = +6 to hit (3 Dex, 3 proficiency) / 2d4+6 Piercing (Wow)
May use its Reaction on character's turn to make a melee attack

Pack Tactics: advantage on attack rolls if one of the humanoid's allies is within 5 feet and not incapacitated.
Replacing Adv. on perception and wisdom checks based on hearing/smell for the ability to speak in common.
---

Explanation of Choices: I tried to steer away from outdoorsy ranger choices (survival, spell lists, etc) and stick with things more suitable for a fiend. Its important to note that this character already exists in the form of a familiar. She is horrible as a succubus (whenever she changes appearances, she always looks exactly the same with some minor difference) and she is very anti-fiends (because she is, 'Like, DONE with that crap'). I figure she will focus on using hunter's mark, occasionally using Spike Growth. The humanoid will be able to talk, but not be able to say anything useful.

Sjappo
2016-11-02, 03:00 PM
I'd make it that your old character is now the animal companion. Complete reversal of roles.

Herobizkit
2016-11-02, 03:04 PM
To the OP:

Volo's Guide to Monsters dropped today - there's an Aasimar (angelic/good counterpart to Tiefling) that has three sub-races including a Fallen variant. Might wanna keep your eye out for that, too. :)

gfishfunk
2016-11-03, 08:49 AM
I'd make it that your old character is now the animal companion. Complete reversal of roles.

This is a contingency plan if he dies. The DM runs a fairly ruthless game. That being said, I'm one of the more savvy players and end up rarely even injured. And I'm a front liner with a lowish AC (16 at level 5). This is just a contingency plan that is both fun and amusing.

To the OP:

Volo's Guide to Monsters dropped today - there's an Aasimar (angelic/good counterpart to Tiefling) that has three sub-races including a Fallen variant. Might wanna keep your eye out for that, too. :)

That is something worth picking up either way. Good to know!