PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early to start speculating about book 6 titles?

Procyonpi
2016-11-01, 12:36 PM
I vote for "Gods and Giants." :P

Caractacus
2016-11-01, 01:06 PM
"The Title's Moot"

Jasdoif
2016-11-01, 01:43 PM
My liking for "To Hel and Back Again" hasn't waned since nineteen months ago :smalltongue:

Ruck
2016-11-02, 03:34 AM
I like "To Hel with Good Intentions."

edit: the "Good intentions" referring to Roy's in bringing "Durkon" to the Godsmoot to get Durkon resurrected, and by doing so accidentally kicking off another possible end-of-the-world scenario.

RatElemental
2016-11-02, 05:10 AM
Durkon 2: Vampiric Boogaloo?

I'm so sorry.

littlebum2002
2016-11-02, 06:06 AM
Would i be remiss if i described this thread as "premature e-speculation"?

Emanick
2016-11-02, 06:13 PM
What the Hel

Black Socks
2016-11-02, 06:18 PM
"To Hel with it all"

"Road to Hel" (is paved with good intentions, as Ruck referred to above)

"A Hel-ish trial"

"One-way airship to Hel"

"Hel-bent on vengeance"

....I'm addicted.

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-11-02, 06:57 PM
Certainly too early, but, you know, what the Hel. :smallbiggrin:

I'd love if the title was "Highway to Hel".

Lheticus
2016-11-02, 08:18 PM
I'm going to play the current long odds and speculate that the word "Hel" won't even be anywhere in the title. Clearly there's too many possibilities to choose just one, even for Rich.

Grey Watcher
2016-11-03, 12:42 AM
"One-way airship to Hel"

No, no, no, the airship is clearly the "High Way to Hel"!

As for Book 6, it will simply be called "Greg".

snowblizz
2016-11-03, 07:57 AM

edit: the "Good intentions" referring to Roy's in bringing "Durkon" to the Godsmoot to get Durkon resurrected, and by doing so accidentally kicking off another possible end-of-the-world scenario.

To Hel wth God Intentions.

:P

martianmister
2016-11-03, 06:27 PM
War is Hel.
Hel's Angels.
Hotter than Hel :smallyuk:

Morquard
2016-11-03, 08:26 PM
As for Book 6, it will simply be called "Greg".
That one gets my vote.

KorvinStarmast
2016-11-03, 09:02 PM
Suggest you all go back and review the book titles that the Giant punned upon for previous books.

My guess is that something about ships will be in the title, since the Mechane has been a prominent feature of this book so far: While I am tempted to guess at something like "African Queen" as a starter, that's a movie title ...

There are a lot of maritime-themed books that lend themselves to such punnery ...

Two Years before the Mast
Mutiny on the Bounty
Wine Dark Sea (Find Durkon, see?)
(Anything in the Hornblower sagas)
Sea Wolf is probably too short, sadly: Which means that "sail, get treats" is off the list. So it goes, though "short" with "War and Peace => War and XP's means that maybe there's hope.

The other issue may be something about return or restoration, since a powerful theme of this plot line is Durkon being gone and the party trying to get him back.

Raiders of the Lost Ark/lost clark/ ... not feeling it tonight.
Maybe a song title pun like "Dust in the Wind" but the turn to punnery escapes me on that one as well.
I don't think Pirates will be in it, though, but maritime themes? Yeah. Good chance of that.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-11-04, 12:52 AM
My guess is that something about ships will be in the title, since the Mechane has been a prominent feature of this book so far: While I am tempted to guess at something like "African Queen" as a starter, that's a movie title.

It was a book long before it was a movie.

You can also add the titles for the Aubrey/Maturin novels, plus many, many others.

Emanick
2016-11-04, 02:44 AM
It was a book long before it was a movie.

You can also add the titles for the Aubrey/Maturin novels, plus many, many others.

Meh, I think only Master and Commander is high-profile enough to be punned, and I can't see how you could turn that into a working title for Book 6.

Something to do with "Wine-Dark Sea" could work, since it's a well-known phrase in general, but again I'm having difficulty seeing how you could morph it into a good title for the book. I suppose you could do something with blood there, since blood is arguably "wine-dark," but we had "blood" in the title of the last book, so I doubt it's going to make a repeat appearance.

Ultimately, the source of the pun may come from the deeper themes that this book is addressing, just as Book 5's title was both wordplay and a reference to how the book dealt with questions about what a family is and is not. So far I'm honestly not quite sure which themes Book 6 is focusing on most closely, so we may have to wait a while before we can stand even a distant chance of guessing what the title might be.

Euclidodese
2016-11-04, 02:56 AM
"Hel Is Other People."

Morquard
2016-11-04, 03:03 AM
Not all his book titles are puns on actual books. Don't Split the Party or Blood Runs in the Family were references to a classic D&D trope and a mix of two common idioms.

So he could go with really everything for a title that fits. Either an underlying theme of the entire book as he did for BRitF, maybe even a theme that we don't realize yet because we're just halfway through. Or it could be some sort of more obvious thing as with DStP where, well the party was split.

Throknor
2016-11-04, 09:11 AM
"Hel is for Vampires"

"To Hel with Dwarfs"

"A Cold Day for Hel"

This discussion reminds me of an early Simpsons.
Marge: So kids what did you learn about today?
Bart: Hell.
Homer: BART!
Bart: What? That's what we learned about. I sure as hell can't say we learned about hell unless I can say hell, now can I?
Homer: Kid's got a point, Marge.
Bart: Hell yes!
Marge: Bart.
Bart: [sings] Hell, hell, hell, hell, hell.
Marge: Bart, you're no longer in Sunday School. Don't swear.

weckar
2016-11-04, 02:35 PM
I got two:

The Needs of the Party, The Needs of the Crew

Stars of the North

Mad Humanist
2016-11-04, 07:03 PM
"The Title's Moot"

"To Hel with it all"

I like all of these.

Jasdoif
2016-11-04, 07:55 PM
Stars of the NorthHmm. Durkon is already dead; with HPoH and enough slam attacks I bet "Fist of the Northern Death" could work....

Kish
2016-11-04, 10:59 PM
Well, let's look at the previous books.

"Dungeon Crawlin' Fools": all you really needed to know to have as good a chance of guessing it as you'd ever get is that it takes place in a dungeon and the comic is not about how hypercompetent the main characters are, both of which you learn almost immediately.
"No Cure for the Paladin Blues": Best chance of guessing that one is right after it's become clear that Miko is a paladin, she's fairly major to the Order's life in that book, and she's obnoxious. Around 210.
"War and XPs": You can guess it as soon as you see Xykon's legion marching to Azure City, at the end of the previous book, though halfway through is better.
"Don't Split the Party": You can guess it at the end of the previous book and your chances never get better.
"Blood Runs in the Family": First big clue, when Tarquin says "I am your father." Second, when Nale shows up. Third, when Malack reveals that he is in fact a vampire.

So, it's probably not too early to start speculating, but I will note that if someone can actually guess it--that will be something I've never seen.

danielxcutter
2016-11-05, 01:09 AM
Hel's Angels

Hel No, We Won't Go

Heaven and Hel

Mad Humanist
2016-11-05, 04:05 AM
So, it's probably not too early to start speculating, but I will note that if someone can actually guess it--that will be something I've never seen.

Actually someone did guess the title "Don't split the party".

I was thinking specifically of after the fall of Azure City. What got me thinking about this was trying to guess the title of the next book. I don't think I have any chance of that but "Don't split the party" might work.

Actually "silas the monk" is me. The only evidence I have for this is that I knew the post existed, and Silas is not coming back to argue with me. On the other hand now I may be as different from Silas as Darth Vader is from his earlier self. So maybe I am a different person anyway.

Kish
2016-11-05, 09:33 AM
So he/you did, nine months before it came out. Well done.

Dragonfan
2016-11-05, 10:05 AM
"Blood Runs in the Family": First big clue, when Tarquin says "I am your father." Second, when Nale shows up. Third, when Malack reveals that he is in fact a vampire.

Don't forget the Draketooth family.

Kish
2016-11-05, 11:13 AM
I've been trying hard to forget the Draketooth family. Thanks for sabotaging me. :smallmad:

Mad Humanist
2016-11-05, 01:11 PM
So he/you did, nine months before it came out. Well done.

Well thanks (or at least on Silas' behalf). I just thought "Don't split the party" was obvious. Of course I was expecting the Giant to come up with something cleverer than the obvious, which is why I was surprised when it actually came to pass. I don't think any of the other books have had such an obvious candidate for their title.

Ruck
2016-11-05, 02:16 PM
Don't forget the Draketooth family.

I'd also say that the Empire of Blood counts as a clue.

Kish
2016-11-05, 02:30 PM
I was filing that under the "Tarquin" reveal; before that, the Order might have left the Empire behind permanently within five strips.

JustWantedToSay
2016-11-05, 04:19 PM
Citizens' Mechane.

Mostly i'm thinking this book might not catch up to durkon, and a lot of the events will center around the Mechane's movements and its citizens crew and passengers!

Ruck
2016-11-05, 05:50 PM
I was filing that under the "Tarquin" reveal; before that, the Order might have left the Empire behind permanently within five strips.
I think they can be counted separately; the EoB is a clue to "Blood" being in the title, and, depending on how you slice it, Tarquin for "runs in the family" or even if you want to say for "Blood runs thicker than water" as well.

gooddragon1
2016-11-05, 06:32 PM
"The Title's Moot"

It can only be this one imo. It includes more than just the one Hel character.

yellowrocket
2016-11-05, 06:50 PM
It's been one hel of a ride

Mad Humanist
2016-11-06, 12:45 PM
It can only be this one imo. It includes more than just the one Hel character.

I also like "The Title's Moot". However I would be surprised if it was the one. The Moot was only really the set up and most of the book lies ahead of us.

Emanick
2016-11-07, 01:01 AM
It just occurred to me that both the gods and the Mechane feature heavily in this book (so far, at least), and what famous phrase (sort of) incorporates both? The forum's favorite phrase to misuse, Deus ex Machina!

So maybe the title will be something related to that. Who knows.

Mad Humanist
2016-11-07, 01:13 AM
It just occurred to me that both the gods and the Mechane feature heavily in this book (so far, at least), and what famous phrase (sort of) incorporates both? The forum's favorite phrase to misuse, Deus ex Machina!

So maybe the title will be something related to that. Who knows.

Good point. How about "The Unbearable Mootness of a Deus Ex Mechane"?

KorvinStarmast
2016-11-07, 09:26 AM
Highway to Hel, if we are using song title riffs like "Ain't no Cure for the Paladin(Summertime) Blues"
but since they are on an airship ...

Skyway to Hel

Might work, but I am not sure if they'll meet Hel by the end of the book.

Mad Humanist
2016-11-07, 10:39 AM
Highway to Hel, if we are using song title riffs like "Ain't no Cure for the Paladin(Summertime) Blues"
but since they are on an airship ...

Skyway to Hel

Might work, but I am not sure if they'll meet Hel by the end of the book.

I think we've only had one based on a song.

We've had three based upon book titles:

War and XPs.
On the Origins of PCs
Start of Darkness

That's why I think "The Unbearable Mootness of a Deus Ex Mechane" works better.

aurilee
2016-11-07, 01:27 PM
Hmm...

To Hel in a Casket?

Needs another syllable for optimal punning.

Other guesses:
Of Moots and Men
Moot of the Living Dead

Jasdoif
2016-11-07, 01:39 PM
To Hel in a Casket?

Needs another syllable for optimal punning.To Hel in a Thor Casket?

aurilee
2016-11-07, 03:26 PM
To Hel in a Thor Casket?

Not bad. Originally I was thinking of Dwarf Casket, but that seemed too on the nose.

nleseul
2016-11-07, 04:46 PM
Go, Dwarf, and Conquer.

Tom Lehmann
2016-11-08, 04:54 AM
Redemption is a Dish Best Served Cold

[This works on a couple of levels: it's a pun on a common saying; this world has to be redeemed in the eyes of the gods (so they don't destroy it); the MITD is attempting to grow morally and be worthy of O-Chul's faith by trying to foil Xykon's plans; revenge has been attempted multiple times already; Durkon has to be rescued / rescue himself; and the action is taking place in the far North.]

Jay R
2016-11-09, 01:56 PM
Until we know which of the current plot lines will be resolved here, and which ones are setting up to be resolved in the next book, then yes, it is too early.

Mad Humanist
2016-11-09, 03:27 PM
Until we know which of the current plot lines will be resolved here, and which ones are setting up to be resolved in the next book, then yes, it is too early.

All true but that sort of just lays the down the challenge to speculate on the title all the more.

Jay R
2016-11-09, 06:22 PM
All true but that sort of just lays the down the challenge to speculate on the title all the more.

Fine. But recognize that you are also speculating on which of several plot lines will be wound up this book, and not continued into the next one. Don't speculate on the biggest, most important plot lines, but on one that can finish up this book.

For instance, I don't expect Hel to be finished that quickly, so I doubt if her name will be in the title.

Ruck
2016-11-09, 07:03 PM
Fine. But recognize that you are also speculating on which of several plot lines will be wound up this book, and not continued into the next one. Don't speculate on the biggest, most important plot lines, but on one that can finish up this book.

For instance, I don't expect Hel to be finished that quickly, so I doubt if her name will be in the title.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "finished," but I do expect the climax of this book to be the defeat of !Durkon and the thwarting of Hel's plan.

Rift_Wolf
2016-11-09, 07:22 PM
Referencing new art;

God is in the Details

Or Roy's power/Durkon's soul/Vampire in the order/MitD betrayal;

The enemy within

Ron Miel
2016-11-10, 09:52 AM
A Moot Problem.

DeliaP
2016-11-11, 07:09 AM
I'm sticking with my made so long ago (almost as long ago as when I first suggested a mutiny was brewing ;-) ) it's been forgotten suggestion:

"Gods, demi-gods and monsters"

Riffs on the now quite common phrase "gods and monsters" which often is taken to mean it's a thin line between them ... as seen at the Godsmoot.... and both Durkon and Kraagor's gate have a monster theme..... and it's a RPG shout out to the original D&D supplement "Gods, demi-gods and heroes".... and demi-gods are playing a role, with Dvalin's still significant.... and maybe hints that to some people it's a thin line between heroes and monsters, too...

Mad Humanist
2016-11-11, 12:26 PM
I'm sticking with my made so long ago (almost as long ago as when I first suggested a mutiny was brewing ;-) ) it's been forgotten suggestion:

"Gods, demi-gods and monsters"

Riffs on the now quite common phrase "gods and monsters" which often is taken to mean it's a thin line between them ... as seen at the Godsmoot.... and both Durkon and Kraagor's gate have a monster theme..... and it's a RPG shout out to the original D&D supplement "Gods, demi-gods and heroes".... and demi-gods are playing a role, with Dvalin's still significant.... and maybe hints that to some people it's a thin line between heroes and monsters, too...

Also very relevant in the light of recent ev... gurgle.. gurgle... gurgle...

dtilque
2016-11-13, 05:33 PM
I'm going to play the current long odds and speculate that the word "Hel" won't even be anywhere in the title. Clearly there's too many possibilities to choose just one, even for Rich.

Considering that Hel/hell are etymologically related, I don't know why everyone is punning on them.

How about "Mootiny on the Boundary"

Vendanna
2016-11-13, 07:17 PM
Considering that Hel/hell are etymologically related, I don't know why everyone is punning on them.

I'm most fond on "The point is Moot" :p

ti'esar
2016-11-13, 07:23 PM

Okay, Tarquin. :smalltongue:

Ruck
2016-11-13, 08:04 PM
I don't know why that would stop us. Just the fact that "hell" in common sayings is usually used metaphorically, while Hel in the comic is a literal, real being, seems reason enough for it to work to me.

137beth
2016-11-14, 12:28 PM
The Half Blood-sucking Prince.

KorvinStarmast
2016-11-14, 12:36 PM
For you, an extra pint. *golf clap* I like this one. :smallbiggrin:

dtilque
2016-11-14, 04:37 PM
I don't know why that would stop us. Just the fact that "hell" in common sayings is usually used metaphorically, while Hel in the comic is a literal, real being, seems reason enough for it to work to me.

If you want to incur Tarquin's disapproval, well, then Hel-zaPuppet....

Ron Miel
2017-01-10, 08:38 PM
The 'chane Mutiny.

martianmister
2017-01-12, 08:27 AM
What's with Andi? (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_with_Andy%3F)

keybounce
2017-01-13, 11:33 PM
The Giant Pass

... naah.

Sailing into Danger

... better.

Your Worst Day

... Hmm ...