PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Thunderstruck- Tempest Cleric build help

Nerdynick
2016-11-01, 05:55 PM
So I was brainstorming character concepts for an upcoming SKT game I'm going to be playing in and settled on a goliath tempest domain cleric of the All-Father. I was looking into the abilities when I noticed how perfectly Booming Blade would complement a melee-heavy build. Levels 1-4, using a maul, 2d6 bludgeoning and 1d8 thunder if they move. Level 5, 2d6 bludgeoning + 1d8 thunder + 2d8 thunder if they move. At 6th level, bring in the Wrath of the Storm ability from 1st level, which means that whenever he gets hit with a melee attack they take lightning damage as a reaction. Combine with 6th level’s Thunderbolt strike, which pushes people 10 ft when you deal lightning damage. So now there’s reliable forced movement (enemies that are hit with booming blade have to stand still to avoid damage and if they make an attack, they’ll take damage and knockback) which will trigger booming blade’s extra damage. At 8th level, tempest domain gives +1d8 thunder damage on one attack per turn. At 11th level, booming blade increases to 2d8 per hit and 3d8 on move. At 14th, divine strike increases to 2d8. At 17th, booming blade increases to 3d8 per hit and 4d8 on move.

So at 17th level, 2d6 bludgeoning from maul, 2d8 thunder from divine strike, 3d8 thunder from booming blade. If the enemy moves, they take an additional 4d8 thunder, and if they attack in melee, they take 2d8 lightning from wrath of the storm, and then the additional damage. Plus strength .

Totals to 2d6 + 5d8 + STR, with a chance of +6d8. Average damage will be 34.5/61.5 damage.

What I like about the build is that it incorporates a lot of battlefield control. If the cleric closes with the enemy and hits, then the enemy is forced to stand still and not attack if they want to avoid extra damage. On top of all that, the cleric sacrifices none of their spellcasting through multiclassing.

The problem is getting a hold of the Booming Blade cantrip. I think grabbing High Elf might be the easiest way to go about it, but the fluff here is constricting. What ways can I get the cantrip? Magic initiate seems like the obvious choice (grabbing it through warlock and pick up Hex or Faerie Fire with the 1st level spell seems like a pretty good choice), but I'd rather boost my attributes if possible. I'd also rather not multiclass, but if somebody can talk me into it, then I might.

Specter
2016-11-01, 06:21 PM
Single Wiz level. The only spell you care about is Shield, which will save your life in many occasions.

PeteNutButter
2016-11-01, 08:01 PM
Single Wiz level. The only spell you care about is Shield, which will save your life in many occasions.

I'd say sorcerer would work as well, but they lack absorb elements. You will definitely feel thematically appropriate whenever you get hit with lightning damage, take half damage and dish it back out on your next attack (also pushing the foe back).

Half-elf variant is a better option for racial access to the spell.

Pretty much those are your options. MC, high elf, half elf, or magic initiate.

Saggo
2016-11-01, 08:20 PM
I'd say sorcerer would work as well, but they lack absorb elements. You will definitely feel thematically appropriate whenever you get hit with lightning damage, take half damage and dish it back out on your next attack (also pushing the foe back).

Half-elf variant is a better option for racial access to the spell.

Pretty much those are your options. MC, high elf, half elf, or magic initiate.
Starting Sorcerer, however, gives you Con proficiency.

Crgaston
2016-11-01, 09:55 PM
Starting Sorcerer, however, gives you Con proficiency.

And the fluff is pretty awesome, too. Upon learning you had an inborn ability with lightning magic (dragon sorcerer1), you chose to thank the lightning gods by serving them.

MeeposFire
2016-11-01, 11:36 PM
If you don't moind giving up some spells you could multiclass fighter (EK). This will net you some wizard cantrips and some nice spell options (like shield or absorb elements). Go to 7th level for war magic and your cantrip is even better (8 if you want an additional ASI).

Arkhios
2016-11-02, 12:21 AM
At 6th level, bring in the Wrath of the Storm ability from 1st level, which means that whenever he gets hit with a melee attack they take lightning damage as a reaction. Combine with 6th level’s Thunderbolt strike, which pushes people 10 ft when you deal lightning damage. So now there’s reliable forced movement (enemies that are hit with booming blade have to stand still to avoid damage and if they make an attack, they’ll take damage and knockback) which will trigger booming blade’s extra damage.

Except it won't. Forced Movement doesn't trigger Booming Blade because it's not the target willingly moving.

However, Channel Divinity: Destructive Wrath does actually work with Booming Blade if you wan't to add some oomph into a cantrip. (It's valuable resource to use though, so think carefully).

Arcangel4774
2016-11-02, 12:49 AM
Except it won't. Thunderbolt Strike doesn't work with Booming Blade. Thunder damage is not same as Lightning damage (although very much alike, they are two distinct damage types).

He was referring to the rebuke ability (wrath of the storm)not the booming blade.

His combo was:
PC: booming blade
Baddy: melee
PC: reaction rebuke ability(lightning choice), proc thunderbolt strike
Result: Baddy is standing 10 feet away on a booming blade landmine.

I'd recommend a one level dip in storm sorcery origin sorcer for flavor if multiclass is the way you decide on. Vhuman feat is nice as you could grab find familiar and make it like one of Odins ravens. On a side note the familiar can deliver touch spells for you which is always a bonus

Arkhios
2016-11-02, 12:50 AM
He was referring to the rebuke ability (wrath of the storm)not the booming blade.

His combo was:
PC: booming blade
Baddy: melee
PC: reaction rebuke ability(lightning choice), proc thunderbolt strike
Result: Baddy is standing 10 feet away on a booming blade landmine.

Yes, my bad. I realized that after re-reading it, although, to my understanding he was also referring to Booming Blade triggering from forced movement, which it doesn't.