PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 6 RHD, 3 Class levels: Build my Monster

Sandsarecool
2016-11-01, 06:36 PM
As the title says, I'm looking to build a monster for my players (level 8 party of 5 PCs) to kill. The monster itself is based on MM entries, but is homebrew.
6 Magical Beast RHD + 3 Class levels
It Naturally gets (i.e no feats/dips needed):
-Natural flight (70 ft.)
-Standard (30 ft.) land speed
-Pounce
-Scent
The encounter will also have a Rogue 2/Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 2 help it, so I was going to make it a martial thing.
This is supposed to be a secret area encounter, so between the level of mini-boss and BBEG, if you please.
All books allowed, apart from those that add in new subsystems (ToB (Ow.), Psionics, etc.). No Dragon Magazine, ideally, but I might be able to make it stretch.

Coidzor
2016-11-01, 08:03 PM
Hmm. Incarnum or ToB would be made for this. Alas.

Fangshields subsitution levels could be interesting.

Fangshields Ranger gives Multiattack or Improved Natural Attack at 2nd level and get a +2 bonus to effective Druid level for Animal Companions at 4th.

MisterKaws
2016-11-01, 09:26 PM
You didn't really give us enough information. What do you want the creature to look like? How do you want the encounter to feel like? Which classes are the players using?

I can readily present a bunch of creatures that fit those requirements - even without any homebrewing, just template-stacking - but they wouldn't be guaranteed to fit your encounter. In fact, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit into your campaign at all, simply because I don't know what you want it to feel like. We also need to have some info about the players, lest we give you a monster made to fight against a 5-man team made up of: Cleric/Crusader/RKV, Druid/Planar Shepherd, Wizard/Incantatrix, Artificer, Erudite - when what you might actually want is a CR 8-10 monster made with a generic B-game T3 party in mind.

Sandsarecool
2016-11-02, 02:22 PM
You didn't really give us enough information. What do you want the creature to look like? How do you want the encounter to feel like? Which classes are the players using?
1) It doesn't really matter. Go wild I guess.
2) I'm confused. Elaborate? This isn't a question of difficulty, so...?
3) Raw Wizard, Swift Ambusher, Raw Druid, Cleric/Church Inquisitor, Bard, Not very far out of core material in terms of builds.

I can readily present a bunch of creatures that fit those requirements - even without any homebrewing, just template-stacking - but they wouldn't be guaranteed to fit your encounter. In fact, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit into your campaign at all, simply because I don't know what you want it to feel like. We also need to have some info about the players, lest we give you a monster made to fight against a 5-man team made up of: Cleric/Crusader/RKV, Druid/Planar Shepherd, Wizard/Incantatrix, Artificer, Erudite - when what you might actually want is a CR 8-10 monster made with a generic B-game T3 party in mind.
If you could get Planar Shepherd to work cheese in 3 levels, I won't be mad, if only because that would be impressive.
When a monster had 6 Magical Beast RHD, there's not that much wiggle room.
Besides, I can always tone down a build.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-02, 03:29 PM
Well, how about a tricksy rogue-like monster? Warlock 1 with Instinctive Darkness and Intensify Darkness, then rogue 1/assassin 1 for some sneak attack. Add Flyby Attack and Snap Kick (it's from ToB, but does not introduce a new subsystem), and swoop + SA every turn.

MisterKaws
2016-11-02, 07:00 PM
Well, here's my try at it:

Weird Flying Lizard Thing
Pyro-Learnean Two-headed Winged Fleshraker Battledancer 1, Scout 1, Barbarian 1
Magical Beast(Fire)
Hit Dice: 6d8+1d8+1d8+1d12+54(96 HP)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 60 ft., Fly 80 ft.(Perfect)
Armor Class: 25 (+6 Dex, +7 natural +2 Charisma), touch 18, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+11
Attack: Longsword +11 (1d8+6)
Full Attack: Unarmed +11/+6 melee(1d6+6) and 2 claws +9 melee (1d4+3 plus poison) and 2 bites +9 melee (1d6+3) and tail +9 melee (1d6+3 plus poison)
OR Unarmed +11/+5 melee(1d6+6) and Longsword +11/+6(1d8+6) and claws +9 melee (1d4+3 plus poison) and 2 bites +9 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Leaping pounce, poison(1d6/1d6 Dex, Fort DC 19), rake 1d6+3, Breath Weapon x2(3d6 Fire, Reflex DC 17 half), Superior Two(downgraded from Multi)-weapon Fighting, Skirmish 1d6, Rage 1/day
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Trapfinding
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +15, Will +4
Abilities(Elite Array): Str 22, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 4, Wis 14, Cha 15
Skills: Hide +14(16 in forests), Jump 31, Listen +5, Spot +4, Search -1
Feats: Imp. Unarmed Strike(B), Track, Prehensile Tail, Quicken Breath, Multiattack
Challenge Rating(According to WotC's balnace, at least): 9

The speed is a bit higher than what you wanted, but I don't see that being a major problem. This would probably kill some people in your party, but if you think those casters can handle it, you might want to equip it with a Mithral Chain Shirt(possibly magical) and give it a magic sword instead, plus maybe two Mouthpick swords. Adding all of these together would most likely kill anything on contact (actually, it'll do that even without items). Resistance Cloaks would help, too.

Also, I was talking about your party having a Planar Shepherd, not the monster being one.