PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/Barbarian?

rmnimoc
2016-11-01, 07:31 PM
I know there are quite a few feats and prestige classes that help meld together any two given classes, but my search has failed to turn up anything for going super-saiyan beefing up eldritch blasts with barbarian rages, adding strength to EB damage, or any other such thing. My group runs a nice little melting pot of 3.5 and pathfinder, so anything from either of those would work. Anyone know any cool things that'll help?

Also, you can't prove I'm trying to replicate the feel of DBZ's The Incredible Hulk Broly with my Human[Racial Heritage: Goliath] Barbarian/Warlock. It may not be the most optimal thing in existence, but even without a feat or prestige class that helps rage boost EB, I can still channel it through his fists and deck people in the face for good enough damage to seriously threaten most level appropriate enemies at any given level. Still, no kill like overkill.

Troacctid
2016-11-01, 07:44 PM
I imagine there won't be anything in PF, since they don't have warlocks AFAIK.

You can add your Strength to your eldritch blast damage (or 1.5x your Strength with a 2H weapon) by using the hideous blow blast shape invocation. It also works with Power Attack.

rmnimoc
2016-11-01, 07:58 PM
I imagine there won't be anything in PF, since they don't have warlocks AFAIK.
In hindsight that's a rather valid point. Still might be some useful rage things though.

You can add your Strength to your eldritch blast damage (or 1.5x your Strength with a 2H weapon) by using the hideous blow blast shape invocation. It also works with Power Attack.

I'm using Eldrich Claws(Dragon#358) for that, both because I enjoy punching people and because I enjoy the fluffy thought of a "missing" punch still killing people because it extends a foot from your hands. I've also got Beast Strike(Dragon#355) with that because that just seems like an obvious thing to have when you basically wolverine as a free action.

Extra Anchovies
2016-11-01, 10:25 PM
A one-level Warlock dip with the Eldritch Claws feat would be good in ye olde Fist of the Forest/Bear Warrior/Warshaper build, but those builds tend to be a little feat-starved already so it may not fit well until later on.

khadgar567
2016-11-02, 06:19 AM
You know i am intrigued by this ragelock build

Kaje
2016-11-02, 06:42 AM
It's an interesting idea, but not really something you can take full advantage of, since there's no real way to progress eldritch blast and rage. If you take mostly warlock, then by mid levels the bonus provided by your rage won't help that much. you may as well just do a good melee lock build without the rage. If you go mostly barb/bear/etc then the same goes for your couple d6s of eb. I thought about pumping your blast with hellfire, but that still requires 6 levels of warlock to enter. Even crappy rage mage would require diverting 3 levels to a traditional caster.

Red Fel
2016-11-02, 08:41 AM
I'd like to point out that, while raging, a Barbarian probably can't use Invocations. I say probably, because it's not explicit. Let me explain.

First, language:
While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.
Okay. So he can't use spells or magic items, but that doesn't say anything about Invocations, right? Well, Invocations are SLAs, and here's the language on those:
A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell:

Using a spell-like ability while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a Concentration check to use a spell-like ability defensively and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity.
And here's the Invocation language:
A warlock's invocations are spell-like abilities; using an invocation is therefore a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. An invocation can be disrupted, just as a spell can be ruined during casting. A warlock is entitled to a Concentration check to successfully use an invocation if he is hit by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be. A warlock can choose to use an invocation defensively, by making a successful Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity.
So, an SLA functions like a spell, provokes AoOs, and may require Concentration. Well, a Barbarian explicitly cannot make a Concentration check. This all strongly suggests that a Barbarian cannot use Invocations. Mind you, he can still be affected by them - any Invocations in effect before he Rages, such as flying or invisibility or any of that, will still be in effect when the Rage takes hold. But EB is an Invocation, and would be prevented - don't forget he still needs to use its somatic components and everything.

Now, Eldritch Claws isn't an Invocation, it's a feat. It allows you to "form the energy of your eldritch blast into a set of claws[,]" which could require you to be able to use your Eldritch Blast, however the claws never explicitly call that out. They only last until your next turn, however, and thus must be reformed; this strongly suggests, but does not explicitly state, that they function similar to a Blast Shape, which is an Invocation and thus may be precluded by Rage.

Honestly, you can bypass this whole issue. If you want to go Super Saiyajin, just go Warlock/Warblade, Warlock/Swordsage, Warlock/Fighter or Warlock/Monk. Grab IUS, and SUS for kicks. As a bonus, a Fighter can take Beast Strike as one of his bonus feats, which really rounds out the build.

Psyren
2016-11-02, 09:01 AM
It's not ambiguous at all. Concentration explicitly lists SLAs as requiring "your full attention":

You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include casting a spell, concentrating on an active spell, directing a spell, using a spell-like ability, or using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity.

So even if you're not actually being distracted/making a concentration check, the game considers SLAs as something you need to concentrate on activating.

Kaje
2016-11-02, 09:06 AM
Well, there you go. I had only read the Rage and Invocation sections.

ShurikVch
2016-11-02, 09:19 AM
Even crappy rage mage would require diverting 3 levels to a traditional caster.No need for levels in "traditional caster":
Firstly, there is ever-popular Magical Training+Precocious Apprentice combo
But, secondly, it's not even necessary - arcane variant of Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm) will fix it nicely

I'd like to point out that, while raging, a Barbarian probably can't use Invocations.There are two possible fixes: Rage Casting in Dragon #310, or Supernatural Transformation in Savage Species: first one allow to cast while raging, second - remove need for Concentration

Troacctid
2016-11-02, 10:11 AM
You can also use Berserker Strength (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=3). (Works best in gestalt.)

Psyren
2016-11-02, 12:40 PM
You can also use Berserker Strength (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=3). (Works best in gestalt.)

I don't think that'll help:

"While berserker strength is active, you have the same limitation on actions as a barbarian in rage (PH 25)."

rmnimoc
2016-11-02, 01:30 PM
The beguiler saved up all her gold and used it to make me a fancy circlet like Broly had that lets me use EB while raging. I tried to talk her out of it, told her she should save the money for stuff that could help her out, especially since party PvP is occasionally a thing when you're the only good person in an evil party. She insisted she was, so I just accepted with an "Oh well, obviously she's decided that since I'm the largest damage dealer them helping me do more damage is the best investment. She's new, she'll learn better soon enough."

Didn't really occur to me that Broly's was used to mind control him until after she used it to dominate me into beating the crap out of the rest of the party for planning to sacrifice a bunch of kids to a Balor to get it to help us find something. Turns out it's also got a constant charm person effect on it's wearer and she can use it to dominate the them twice a day.

So yeah, that's why I'm not too concerned about using EB while raging. I'm just looking for a way to make my ranged blasts stronger while doing it. I'll probably end up having to homebrew something then. Oh well, I still got some pretty cool ideas from you guys.

Kaje
2016-11-02, 03:17 PM
Yeah, Berserker Strength and Ferocity are useful acfs for the former barb who wants to become lawful, but not useful for this purpose.

Red Fel
2016-11-02, 03:24 PM
So yeah, that's why I'm not too concerned about using EC while raging. I'm just looking for a way to make my ranged blasts stronger while doing it. I'll probably end up having to homebrew something then. Oh well, I still got some pretty cool ideas from you guys.

You can't make your ranged blasts stronger while doing it, because you can't use your ranged blasts while using EC. Per the feat, "You cannot use your normal eldritch blast ability while your eldritch claws exist." It's either/or. And unless this homebrew magic item works for your EB as well as EC, you still can't use your SLA Eldritch Blast while raging.

Seriously, what's wrong with making a super angry Fighter/Warlock?

rmnimoc
2016-11-03, 05:04 AM
You can't make your ranged blasts stronger while doing it, because you can't use your ranged blasts while using EC. Per the feat, "You cannot use your normal eldritch blast ability while your eldritch claws exist." It's either/or. And unless this homebrew magic item works for your EB as well as EC, you still can't use your SLA Eldritch Blast while raging.

Seriously, what's wrong with making a super angry Fighter/Warlock?

Meant to put a B there, not a C. I can use EB while raging.

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-03, 02:37 PM
I would suggest the following for some barbish /-gish feeling:

Warlock 12 / Blood Magus 4 / XXX 6

The build kicks in late, but has some nice flavor in it. Warlock 12 gives you Imbue Item to for crafting feats. Blood Magus gives you Scribe Scroll using your skin (scratching scars) and Brew Potion using your Blood (within your body). You can even share your blood with another person to share the magical effect.
If you intend to go the long route it's a really fun build.

Imho ditch the barb, fluff the rage and take Blood Magus for the flavor ;)

fighter/kensai/warlock could be another option.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-03, 02:52 PM
I know it's a non-issue now, but...

Go anthro-wolverine or werewolverine or an altered version of divine minion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) for a wolverine form for rage. I don't think they're disallowed from eldritch blast while raging. Or you could use badger, I suppose.

Troacctid
2016-11-03, 04:10 PM
I don't think that'll help:

"While berserker strength is active, you have the same limitation on actions as a barbarian in rage (PH 25)."
Oh, you're right. I must have been thinking of something else.