PDA

View Full Version : Ranger 6 Beastmaster 1

Snig
2016-11-01, 07:47 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out what my druid level would be for my animal companion? Is it 3+1+3=7?

Now lets say i'm 16 Ranger / 1 Beastmaster. Is my druid level 8+1+3=12?

Just trying to get it straight.

prufock
2016-11-01, 08:58 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out what my druid level would be for my animal companion? Is it 3+1+3=7?

Now lets say i'm 16 Ranger / 1 Beastmaster. Is my druid level 8+1+3=12?

Just trying to get it straight.

Yes.

1/2 ranger level + beastmaster level + 3

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-02, 08:10 AM
for example:

If you are a 10th level Ranger and a 4th level BM then your math would go as follows:

5+4+3=12

I would suggest taking the natural bond feat as well will add another 3 to that effective level but wont go above your base level.

Grim Reader
2016-11-02, 08:55 AM
I disagree. The calculation is:

3 + "Levels of Beastmaster" + "Levels in other classes that grant an animal companion."

You do not add on effective Druid level or do any other adjustments, you just add them up according to the class text. It is not Wild Plains Outrider. At the time the class was published it was widely considered a ranger fix.

So for a 10th level Ranger/ 4th level Beastmaster it is 3 + 4 + 10

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-02, 09:02 AM
correct, except Ranger says your effective druid level for animal companion is 1/2 your Ranger Level. The Prestige class doesn't override the class restriction to level. as far as I know.

prufock
2016-11-02, 09:14 AM
I disagree. The calculation is:

3 + "Levels of Beastmaster" + "Levels in other classes that grant an animal companion."

You do not add on effective Druid level or do any other adjustments, you just add them up according to the class text. It is not Wild Plains Outrider. At the time the class was published it was widely considered a ranger fix.

So for a 10th level Ranger/ 4th level Beastmaster it is 3 + 4 + 10

correct, except Ranger says your effective druid level for animal companion is 1/2 your Ranger Level. The Prestige class doesn't override the class restriction to level. as far as I know.

CaPtMalHammer is correct. The sample beastmaster presented in Complete Adventurer is a ranger 5/beastmaster 2. The animal companion is treated as a 7th-level druid, not a 10th-level druid.

Grim Reader
2016-11-02, 09:28 AM
CaPtMalHammer is correct. The sample beastmaster presented in Complete Adventurer is a ranger 5/beastmaster 2. The animal companion is treated as a 7th-level druid, not a 10th-level druid.

Has there ever been a sample character that worked through the history of 3.5 ? Text trumphs table and both trump sample characters.

prufock
2016-11-02, 09:56 AM
Has there ever been a sample character that worked through the history of 3.5 ? Text trumphs table and both trump sample characters.
Nothing trumps anything when there is no disagreement between sources.