PDA

View Full Version : help with my Swordsage build?

Neowulf
2016-11-02, 01:05 AM
I'm making a backup character for the damage sponge character I just made & I've been thinking about doing a swordsage with some dips into barbarian & possibly fighter down the line. we're currently at lvl 6 and I was thinking of making it a Maenad (naturally psionic & outburst (great stack with rage)), and the type of playstyle I'd like is Melee fighter with options for field control

we're allowed to have up to 2 extra feats from flaws, and iirc no official-wizard publications are off the table, so here's my build so far

Stat Focuses (Highest to Lowest)
WIS, STR, CON, DEX, INT, CHA

Barbarian 2/Swordsage 4
Barbarian lvl 1:
City Brawler

Spirit Lion Totem for Pounce
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, & EWP [spiked chain]
Whirling Frenzy

Barbarian lvl 2:
Wolf Totem

Swordsage lvl 1:
Quick to act +1
Discipline Focus (Weapon Focus) Shadow Hand (+1 attack rolls on Spiked Chain)
Maneuvers:
Mighty Throw (Set)
Cloak of Deception (Shadow)
Mountain Hammer (Stone)
Rabid Wolf Strike (Tiger)
Burning Brand (Desert)
Moment of Perfect Mind (Diamond)
Stance:
Island of Blades (Shadow)
Feat: Psionic Weapon

Swordsage lvl 2:
AC Bonus
Maneuver:
Fire Riposte (Desert)
Stance:
Step of the Wind (Set)

Swordsage lvl 3:
Maneuver:
Shadow Garrote (Shadow)

Swordsage lvl 4:
Discipline Focus (Shadow Hand)
Maneuver:
Strength Draining Strike (Shadow)
Feat: Leap Attack

this is my build so far, any notes? things I should look out for? corrections? any thoughts on where I should take this build?

Manyasone
2016-11-02, 01:37 AM
Shock trooper requires BAB +6. Just pointing it out

Neowulf
2016-11-02, 02:07 AM
Shock trooper requires BAB +6. Just pointing it out

thanks, missed that. well, guess I'll probably take Psionic Weapon instead. an extra 2d6 is always great

Crake
2016-11-02, 03:16 AM
thanks, missed that. well, guess I'll probably take Psionic Weapon instead. an extra 2d6 is always great

psionic weapon does require you to have a power point pool, and you need to spend a full round action to gain your psionic focus after expending it with an attack (which is lost even if you miss), unless you have psionic meditation, which reduces that to a move action (but still provokes). Unless you're an innately psionic race, you need to take that feat that grants you 2 power points, or take a level in a psionic class.

Neowulf
2016-11-02, 03:33 AM
psionic weapon does require you to have a power point pool, and you need to spend a full round action to gain your psionic focus after expending it with an attack (which is lost even if you miss), unless you have psionic meditation, which reduces that to a move action (but still provokes). Unless you're an innately psionic race, you need to take that feat that grants you 2 power points, or take a level in a psionic class.

I said this was a maenad, right?

I can always gain psionic focus when I'm not in battle & I'll not be getting it when I'm using WF

Exocist
2016-11-03, 04:06 AM

Take Adaptive Style, it lets you refresh all your manoevres (Instead of just 1) as a full-round action. It also lets you switch up manoevres on the fly in case you need to.

If you're using leap attack, then also ask your DM about Battle Jump and how he looks at it. It can be very strong with Swordsage if the Shadow Jaunt line and/or Sudden Leap activate it (And give you the attack as a free or nonaction).