PDA

View Full Version : Storm Battlepriest - build help

cyberhawk94
2016-11-02, 01:24 AM
Im working on a few outside the box character concepts and was hoping for some help finishing them off.

This one is of a Lightning Battle-priest, essentially a gish character that blends faith, spell, and sword in service of Talos, Zeus and their ilk.

Lightning and Thunder spells (especially AoE or close-range), decent melee capabilities, and basic support capability is what I am hoping to achieve by mixing and matching the following class levels. each "tier" of leveling into a class or MC into a new class obviously has advantages and disadvantages, and I was hoping the fine people of this forum could fine a few "ideal" combinations for a full level 20 character. (starting at 5 and intending to play through to 20).

Also, races are fairly up in the air, so suggestions their would be helpful.

Storm Sorcerer 12 is a given for 6th level spells and that ASI.
a few levels into Cleric or Paladin (or both) is also needed for the concept.

Besides that, here are my break-points (8 levels to play with)

Sorc 14 gives Storms Fury for some melee defense. 16 gives that plus another ASI

Tempest Cleric 1 gives a few nice support spells, heavy armor, martial, and an earlier Storm's Fury. TC2 gives that + Channel Divinity. TC4 gets 2nd level Cleric spells, and an ASI. TC6 gives some control, and a 2nd Channel Divinity.

TC8 gives the very nice Divine Strike ability, adding more oomph to my melees and SCAG cantrips.

2 levels into Paladin is a common Sorcerer pickup, adding a lot of melee potential to the class via Smites and a fighting style.

Fighter could bring 2 levels for a fighting style, self-heal, and Action Surge, 4 levels for an ASI and archetype, or 6 for another ASI and extra attack.

So given this great mix of:
12 Storm Sorcerer
14 Storm Sorcerer
2 Tempest Cleric
8 Tempest Cleric
2 Paladin
2 Fighter
6 Fighter

(and the smaller breakpoints in between)

What would you all suggest I piece together?

EDIT: Level 18 in Storm isnt needed for plot / party reasons

EDIT: I guess I could do Storm10/Pally2/Cleric8 For Smite+Divine Strike? Id only get 4 ASI's though and Id miss Chain Lightning

Lollerabe
2016-11-02, 02:32 AM
Why not just a pure tempest cleric with a decent attack stat? That is pretty much a battle storm priest.

cyberhawk94
2016-11-02, 01:07 PM
Why not just a pure tempest cleric with a decent attack stat? That is pretty much a battle storm priest.

No where near enough lightning/thunder magic or blasting capabilities. Besides Ive played a storm sorcerer in every edition so far lol